Old 07 July 2008, 21:12   #21

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Just had another thought how about a small transmitter from the boat to a receiver in the house when the receiver stops receiving an alarm goes off allowing you to go and kick some ASS. God I hate thieves and boat thieves are the worst. OK you electronics wizz kids is this a practical idea maybe power supply problems?
Old 07 July 2008, 21:42   #22

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
when the receiver stops receiving an alarm goes off
ahem...wouldn't it be a bit late by that point
Old 09 July 2008, 13:24   #23

Length: no boat
Stolen Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
i wonder how many boats on www.stolenboats.org.uk are ever found and returned to there original owners?

Does anyone know?
The number of recoveries are shown on the site. Currently 136 out of 2096 thefts (6.5%). In most cases, by the time a recovery has been made, the insurance company has paid their client for their loss and ownership of the recovered item passes to the insurance company, who will then arrange to sell it to offset their losses.

In our experience, the recovery rate is improving as more people become aware of www.stolenboats.org.uk and report any suspicious sale adverts via the Tip-off facility. The police also use the site when out and about and have been able to solve a few cases that way

Jon

RIB Insurance
- Instant on-line quotations and immediate insurance.

Search our directory of RIBs For Sale
Noble Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2008, 14:45   #24

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Marine View Post
The number of recoveries are shown on the site. Currently 136 out of 2096 thefts (6.5%). In most cases, by the time a recovery has been made, the insurance company has paid their client for their loss and ownership of the recovered item passes to the insurance company, who will then arrange to sell it to offset their losses.

In our experience, the recovery rate is improving as more people become aware of www.stolenboats.org.uk and report any suspicious sale adverts via the Tip-off facility. The police also use the site when out and about and have been able to solve a few cases that way

Jon
I would add to Jon's wise words that the chances of recovery are greatly enhanced by having a detailed record of your boat's unique quirks, as well as details like serial numbers and some photos.

A form that asks for such details and that makes it easy to update and store is available from our Harbour Watch web site...
Old 09 July 2008, 15:58   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
I would add to Jon's wise words that the chances of recovery are greatly enhanced by having a detailed record of your boat's unique quirks, as well as details like serial numbers and some photos.

A form that asks for such details and that makes it easy to update and store is available from our Harbour Watch web site...
malthouse - I don't get it? how does a list of my boats distinguishing features make it significantly more likely to get recovered. I can see that if presented with a suspicious boat the police would be able to confirm if the boat fits the description, and possibly rule it in or out as being my stolen craft.

Further up this thread you are claiming that this will increase recovery rates by 10x. This seems to be implying that someone knows which are the dodgy/suspicious boats but that there is insufficient fine detail to prove beyond doubt that the dodgy boat actually is the same boat that was reported stolen? Surely thats not the case?

The fact that you think this needs filled out in advance means either that you need an incredible level of detail (unlikely since most boats are relatively unique compared to say cars) or to be able to produce this description within minutes of reporting the boat stolen (again that seems unlikely - if I report say a 5m humber with orange tubes, and grey hull, with a 120 HP Yamaha on a dixon bate trailer then I would expect any boat fitting that description in the area to raise suspicion. Most insurers seem to insist on the engine Serial number when taking out the policy - which I would have thought would be an easy piece of evidence to match. If its been removed that would make Mr Plod even more suspicious - and I would have thought give him cause to detain the boat whilst descriptions of electronics, known damage etc were matched up.

In reality - many boats seem to be reported stolen during quite a wide time window often over several days (as we use/check them infrequently). Would another 1 day whilst I record a very detailed description really make that big a difference.

Appologies for being negative - but I just can't see how your proposed form can make the sort of impact on boat recoveries you are hoping for.
Old 09 July 2008, 17:19   #26

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
malthouse - I don't get it? how does a list of my boats distinguishing features make it significantly more likely to get recovered.
Hi, thanks for your comments - not negative at all really.

There are a number of problems with boat recoveries at the moment, one of them is the time available to the Police to check up on suspicious craft, another is the amount of time that it takes to get a complete description circulated and the breadth of that circulation.

What we would like to see is:-

1) People keeping an accurate and up to date record (with photos) of their vessel so that if stolen those details can be shared quickly. As you say boats are far more likely to be unique than cars etc, but the trick is recording the unique features. Serial numbers are often removed, sometimes it is just a worn sticker and so that in itself is not going to set alarm bells off.

2) A wide network of people who are happy to keep an eye out, including marina staff and engineers as well as the public. This network also needs to have a report that can be put up in a window or on a notice board.

3) Recovered vessels can be identified even after a thief has gone to great lengths to remove the usual features, thus helping the crime to be detected and acted on.

The worst case scenario is that a stolen boat goes some time before being missed and reported, that the details of that craft were not well recorded and that the news of it's loss is neither distributed nor recognised.

The Stolen Boats site works really well, but it relies on people thinking that something is suspicious to start with; we want to give as many people as possible a way of recognising "suspicious" and having good resources available to properly identify it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that by having a good system we can make it so that boat thieves have no way to off-load their wares, either they get caught or their "customers" do.
Old 10 July 2008, 15:22   #27

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
i think if there was a register which people could log full details of their boats, including pictures, serial numbers etc which then made this information only accessable when a vessel is reported stolen, then i beleive this would help a great deal in trying to prevent stolen property being sold again. It wouldnt take long just to quickly check on the site to see if that boat you're thinking of buying isnt on the stolen list.

its so much easier these days for people to take a dozen or so pictures of their boat and upload them to the site

it would require the full coperation of all boaters (well ribsters at least) to make sure it works and you'd imagine stolenboat.org would be the ideal platform for this.

maybe we should start a campaign
Old 11 July 2008, 06:12   #28

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
ahem...wouldn't it be a bit late by that point
The point is they are going to nick it any way the sooner you know the better chance of catching them and recovering the "gear" so if the alarm goes off when the boat has moved say 100 metres you can be up and at em with the old baseball bat
Old 16 March 2009, 22:16   #29

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
i bought mine from these people on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3D4%26ps%3D42
and they were brilliant.
the first one sent stopped working the following day and when i rang the manufacturer for help they said someone would call me but never did.Meanwhile i emailed the Everything_Direct1 sellers and without asking put a replacement in the post the same day without any additional charge. Nor did they ask for the faulty one back. I call that good service!. In passing i rang the manufacturer again and sent them an email but never got a reply even once.

I've now had the cable lock for some weeks now and it seems to work perfectly and hopefully it will put off potential theiving scum bags!

make sure you order the right cable length for your requirement.
had this devise some time now and it seems to work quite well but the one i have eats batteries for breakfast. the manufacturer claims the battery lasts months, but in reality lasts 6-8 weeks max. pity really it mars an excellent product.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:02   #30

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
I have considered using a few of these?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...&ct=image&cd=1

Will destroy your boat but stop the scrote bag from doing it again. Ok then maybe not?