Old 27 April 2009, 05:42   #21

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I thought we were meant to be helping each other on here?
Old 27 April 2009, 07:40   #22

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i thought i was, i think i'm going to stop posting on here, it seems that all people want to do is have a wind up, i got some company director at the other end of the country trying to tell me he may know better by getting some matey to put some pictures on here. i've just about had it with this lot, i'll try boatmad
Old 27 April 2009, 08:53   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So - as an indepandent party reading this thread cant everyone just agree to disagree & that it is best left at that?

I have often heard people talk about osmosis , but have never actually heard of examples or even bothered looking up the symptoms. Biffer can you answer a question for me - if the hull does suffer and bubbles - will the gel flake off ( being as usually its relatively hard/ brittle and doesn't flex well) or does it end up going soft & bubbling up ( like described already).

I've seen Gel flex 'alot' in high perfromance glider wings - but thats over a 20m + distance.

Pete
Old 27 April 2009, 15:16   #24

Town: Reading
Boat name: N/A
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
gell coat doesn't bubble without something underneath pushing it up (osmosis) and flakey antifoul is exactly that, flakey, no bubbles, his own words were bubbles that are dry inside, not antifoul, so i stand by what i said, i do know what i'm talking about and i've told him, nothing to worry about and no i don't want to help him fix it because it's isn't that serious on a boat that size that isn't in the water for any length of time, there isn't much else it can be, so i'm not being smart or reading minds i'm applying what i know and i know one other thing, you can be a right knob sometimes
I had 5 or 6 bubbles/blisters appear in the gel coat of my console which has never been submersed in salt water and was less than 2 years old when I noticed it. They were compressible but I don't think there was any fluid inside. I also had one on the flybridge of my old Sealine 305 and again I don't think that could be osmosis either.

Therefore I have to agree with Polwart, the diagnosis is premature.
Old 27 April 2009, 15:55   #25

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hey if we are all for 'taking sides' - I'll sit well on the fence. I have heard of Osmosis in aircraft which generally dont mix with water anywhere near as much as boats ! - Not even left out in the rain !

So - lets not take sides - lets listen to everyones opinion and agree to disagree ? can we all play nicely again now ?
Old 27 April 2009, 18:19   #26

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
blackroady, never seen any soft blisters and gell is brittle, only soft ones i;ve found are in badly mixed gell and you find them quick, some blisters as i've said can be contamination, and just to say that you can get osmosis in moulds and they dont go into sea water either, not posting anymore, i just about had it with ribnet, bye bye