Old 04 February 2007, 21:58   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Skin Fitting for Transom

I bought a skin fitting to go through my Transom to carry out bilge water, its from Aquafax I think, it is a 1" threaded fitting with a tail to take the 19mm hose from the Pump.

The problem is having drilled the hole for it I have found it is a few mm too short. The transom on the Osprey must be about 50mm thick because the threaded part of the fitting only just clears and there is not enough for the nut to get a grip onto.

I have looked around on the net but cant seem to find anything suitable, this is not really helped when no one seems to record the length of the threaded part.

Anyone know where I can get a longer fitting, I reckon the threaded part needs to be about 65mm.

Thanks

Chris
Old 04 February 2007, 22:21   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You can counterbore the inside of the transom, large enough and deep enough to take the nut, and seal it well with resin. It may even look neater than having the whole lot protruding.
Old 05 February 2007, 08:45   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
i had exactly the same problem on my humber, just mm's too short, i eventually found a brass one.same diameter, but with a perfect length thread, with a straight through hole, so did not restrict the water, and looked really nice once sealed in,the see through pipe then screwed on to the thread,
it was from Force four, but i think lots of good chandlery places do them,
Old 06 February 2007, 18:21   #4

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
sorry forgot to add, once id pushed through the brass threaded pipe, i used the plastic 2 inch or whatever nut to secure,(just for a looks,) then i used the 90 degree plastic bend (aquafax) on the inside so the pipe was not stressed and went straight down to the pump,, if you pm me i will e mail you a picture, i cant download it here
Old 06 February 2007, 22:26   #5

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Engine: E-Tec 90
I had the same problem with my Ribcraft when I needed to fit a back-up manual bilge pump; I bought 2 or 3 skin fittings and they were all too short. Eventually I got one from Ribcraft, the same size as the one for the electric bilge pump which I hadn't bothered with before cos the diameter was too large for the manual hose. I solved that problem by soaking the slightly smaller diameter manual bilge pump hose in hot water so that it expanded and slipped on nicely.