Old 04 March 2002, 17:05   #1

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
skiing

anyone got any ideas on a simple way to get started on water-skiing? skis or boards? kneeboard sounds erm... challenging.
Old 04 March 2002, 17:51   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Skiing

There are two ways to approach this....on a RIB the first way is not entirely practical, but I will explain anyway. Most ski (GRP-type) instruction boats have a bar which is mounted off to one side, approximately amidships, protruding about 5ft outwards. All one does is hold on to the bar with the instructor next to you teaching you the correct posture, leg position etc.This is pretty easy if you have a semblance of balance.
The other way is a bit harder and that is the traditional way of 'just doing it!' A lot depends on the skill of the person at the helm. Once in the water with the your feet snuggly in the bindings, adopt a position of going to the bogs. Arms should be outstretched and skis aproximately 6 inches apart. The ski-rope should be kept taut at all times by the helmsman. Once you are more or less ready (you will find that you never are quite ready), signal to the helper on board, a thumbs up as opposed to a shout/scream, which can be mis-construed. Keep your arms nice and straight and NEVER pull yourself up. Once the tension becomes unbearable, proceed to 'get up'. Do not stand bolt upright as you will be pulled over. Concentrate on forcing your skis together as they will tend to want to pull apart. RELAX and enjoy it. Always remember that the engine/boat is potent enough to pull you out, therefore it is not necessary to pull yourself up. Once underway raise and lower your arms to compensate for slackness in the ski-rope, NEVER pull the handle as you will be pulled out of the bindings as soon as the slack catches up with you.
OH! remember to let go the handle if you do fall over. Hope this helps.
Old 04 March 2002, 19:05   #3

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Engine: Honda 50
thanks stealth, definitely print that out. any ideas on skis versus kneeboard, especially with regards to kids?
Old 04 March 2002, 19:27   #4

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi

I have a set of skis plus a 'ring' and use the central South coast to play with them if you want to give it a try mail me or post a reply and you can try before you buy, I also have a wake board but have never mastered it !! Poole is a good place to try as there is less wave action than out to sea

John
Old 04 March 2002, 19:39   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

I love kneeboarding - see pics below - good for the kids.

Skiing - enjoy for half an hour and i'v had it for the day.

Wakeboarding - the best way to learn is to sit in a ringo behind the boat (normal rope length) when you signal the driver to go tip your self forward slightly and ya up - it's as easy as that????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knee boarding.jpeg
Views:	601
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	324  
Old 04 March 2002, 20:28   #6

Town: Salisbury
ski-ing v kneeboard

Twin skis really is easy and can be mastered in next to no time providing you are prepared to keep having a go at it...

Of course it is a lot easier if you have a driver who has pulled before & can also tell you each time why you did not get up...

Also get some flat water, glass preferably !! The reason why most people struggle to get up at first is simply because they try too hard.....the secret is to do nothing...the boat has got to pull you up.....

always keep your arms locked outstretched so you are not tempted to pull yourself up and never try and stand up too early

like everything it is worthwhile having a lesson so you can progress quickly and more importantly dont get into bad habits

If you progress to mono, your stance and technique is far more important

Kneeboarding is much more leisurely ( on flat water ) easier on the back and arms, however whilst it is a doddle once your going , it can be a bit harder to get going, a sort of catch 22. Two types of kneeboards - sinkers & non sinkers

One easy way to try kneeboarding is on a cable tow if you have one near you

Anyway what better entertainment on a hot sunny day ??? where ??? watching your friends being pulled underwater whilst you laugh your heads off at their expense
Old 04 March 2002, 20:57   #7

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
easy for kids, but not for me.

Hi JAHNO

Love your comment about kneeboarding being good for kids.

Well i bought a kneeboard last year, went up lakes, fitted my tow rope, watched what other people was doing on kneeboards, then spent all day (or at least until my arms fell off) trying to get up on the board.

Do you have any tips for or infants ie 37 year old infants. (the kids seam to be able to do it) ? on how to get up on the dam board, speeds etc.

Any help greatly received, another season like last year and my knuckles will be on the ground.

Thanks Gary
Old 04 March 2002, 21:24   #8

Hi Gary

Somthing like this-

Put your elbows in the two bits where your knees should go and float, dont put any wait on the board.

Hit the power full on, at that point hop your knees on to the very back of the board.

At that point the boat will be coming on to the plain, decrease the power slowly to bring the boat to about 20knots.

Slowly walk your knees forward in the correct position keepin your wait forward (elbows on the front of the board if the need be).

Then in one swift movment, bring your wait back on to your knees - lean back and keep your arms straight.

Dont worry about any straps until you have got your confidence, just keep leaning back and your arms straight.

It took me a while to pick it up, then one day i just got it and never looked back. Now i can do 360's, jumps, nearly got the death roll figured but keep doing in my neck and back (dont try the death roll just yet).

Hope this helps, i'd be pleased to join you up the lakes somtime.
Old 10 March 2002, 18:57   #9

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Thanks JAHNO

Will give it try and hopefully have more luck (Was a laugh the way we tried it before though, nothing like the right way !!)

Let you know how we get on

Thanks Gary
Old 10 March 2002, 20:51   #10

Hi

Not saying my way is the correct way - just the way I do it..