Click Here to Login

Old 30 October 2005, 17:42   #1

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Single Jockey seats / fuel tanks

All,

I know these have been discussed at length with lots of suppliers listed but I thought I'd ask on the off chance that there are any new suppliers or anyone has any second hand seats laying around.

I'm looking for two single jockey seats (ideally in white GRP) I'd like to accomodate 1 x 23 ltr plastic fuel tank in each. This type http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...ble-fuel-tanks.

Can anyone see any problems with putting the tanks in the seat? I'm presuming they will need to be vented but don't see that it's any more risky than sitting immeadiatly in front of the tanks.

Does anyone know of any seats that are suitable?

Thanks

Mike
Old 30 October 2005, 21:23   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
I don't see a problem with putting tanks under seats, thats what i'm doing with my RIB. The problems I think you may encounter are finding jockeys that are the right size to fit over those tanks. Also, how do you get the tank in? Build it in? Obviously problems with that, especially if the jockey seat has an internal flange.

Have you considered making your own?
Old 31 October 2005, 08:08   #3

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim

Have you considered making your own?
I had considered it but having had very little experience with GRP I'm not sure how they would turn out. I'd rather buy or commision someone else to make them. Has anyone made seats out of any other materials?

As for getting the tanks in - the main jockey console has access from the top (under the seat) and can accomodate one of these tanks. I don't want to put one in there as it also houses the battery and switch gear, which I don't think would be such a good idea to have next to 23 lts of petrol .

I was hoping the new pods could be similar with top accesss to get the tank in and out. I agree with you that size is going to be a problem, most of the ones I have looked at are 10 to 20 mm too narrow.
Old 31 October 2005, 17:40   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Have a look at my rib build thread...super student shakespeare one (it needs updating though I'm afraid)

I have built a bench seat and a rather complex console out of plywood and am sheathing the outside with glass. Before starting I had no GRP hald layup experience (only CFRP infusion and prepreg), but knew a lot about the procedure through reading.

Building a simple jockey seat would be very straight forward, as it is such a simple shape and you could design it to your exact requirements. It will also cost you next to nothing!
Old 01 November 2005, 16:45   #5

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
Can anyone see any problems with putting the tanks in the seat? I'm presuming they will need to be vented but don't see that it's any more risky than sitting immeadiatly in front of the tanks.

Does anyone know of any seats that are suitable?

Thanks

Mike
We did have our portable tanks (jerricans) in the seat in Zebedee .

Never a problem really...

( 'till one day we were heading down the Hamble after refuelling. Happily heading towards the Solent, Mars Bars in our fists, we heard yelling from way back. We turned around to see in the distance the guy on the fuel pontoon gesticulating wildly.

Both full jerricans beside him on the pontoon.
Zeb did a fair distance on air that day. )

Us