RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
The best method I've ever seen was done by an old man recovering a Shetland 535 solo in inclement weather.
He had an electric winch with a long wanderlead and a line to a stern cleat. He stood on the waters edge guiding the stern while using the winch controls with the other hand.

He didn't float the boat on either.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2006, 20:03   #12

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Thanks everyone, that is great feedback.

I've got rollers with no side supports, so there is a problem if the boat gets off centre.

I read last might about a suggestion to put out a stern mooring to control the rear end in really bad conditions - begs the question of how you retrieve the mooring, but I guess that might be a secondary consideration if things get sticky.

It looks like I need to get up to speed (so to speak) with a drive on approach for the majority of my retrievals, be prepared to get wet (and not considser that a loss of face) and bail out to the marina if I can't find a capable helper.

I'll also look at fitting guides to the trailer, they would also make balancing on the trailer a bit easier if it needs a bit of alignment.

Thanks

Old 14 August 2006, 20:17   #13

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
As most people have suggested Guide poles are an essential piece of kit for one man retreivals where you're on an open beach. One suggestion tho....Have a piece of rope attached from the winch post to one of the guide posts. That way if your outboard dies and/or your boat slips back down the rollers you have something to grab hold of and make fast to your boat, you'll be surprised how quickly things happen.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2006, 20:44   #14

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Andy, good suggestion.

I'm never suprised about how quickly things go wrong!

I've had the dubious distinction of having a father who has made every boating mistake known to man or keel boat - and I've learn't much in the process. I'm just refining the experience with a few new ones on ribs.

Highlights from our first sail (many years ago now) included sailing over a reef in a storm, losing one anchor, dragging the other, being unable to start the motor, losing the dingy, being rescued by coast guard and getting in the paper all on the same weekend.

There are many others..... there is a book in there somewhere!
Old 14 August 2006, 20:54   #15

Town: Fareham
But most of us Honest ones would say that we've been there and done that!

I....Touch wood.....Haven't done anything too stupid, my crew would say otherwise as I do alot of wave stuffing that sets off there life jackets, but that's good fun .

I tend to forget some thing when crew offer to help! As I do things in a certain routeen and this upsets my equilibriam.

Serious though, I always travel heavy and thank God that my emergancy equipement hasn't been used to date.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2006, 21:05   #16

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel
Highlights from our first sail (many years ago now) included sailing over a reef in a storm, losing one anchor, dragging the other, being unable to start the motor, losing the dingy, being rescued by coast guard and getting in the paper all on the same weekend.

Suddenly I feel much less embarrassed at the cock ups I have made so far in my career...
Old 15 August 2006, 07:35   #17

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
when Northney get the pontoon nect to the slipway, i will be able to launch recover on my own, but to be honest i will only do it if i,m pushed,,,its much better with two people.
Old 15 August 2006, 15:21   #18

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Often wondered if something like this would be any good Des
Old 15 August 2006, 16:55   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
For Lazy son in laws everywhere Des
Old 16 August 2006, 04:54   #20

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 250
I have 2 RIB's which I launch and recover on my own [but not at the same time obviously..!] a 7.5 on a roller coaster trailer, and a 10.5 on a bunk trailer. Neither have guide posts, but I can see thier uses. In both cases driving on is the only sensible way to go. You need to assess the situation first, taking into account any waves that may be breaking on the slip, wind direction and strenth. Personally, I pull out enough winch strap [2ft] and set the winch rachet to pull in, not pay out! back the trailer so that the back 2-3 foot of the rollers/bunks is in the water. this will allow you to line the boat up and still be in deep water at the stern. if you sink the trailer, the boat will float about and never sit straight. then take a decent run up, if you allow 50m to line the boat up, you can use the wind to help drift you into line, then slow and steady [1-2kt] put the bow onto the trailer and hold it there, you can still steer to line it up from here, then trim the engine up a little and GENTLY drive her up... don't go powering it home here or all the good work will make you look a plonker! then whilst its still in gear, hop/lean if you can reach, over the front and clip the winch strap on. the boat is now secure, engine off, trim up, out over the front, tighten winch and tie on with the painter, I've seen winches give out on the slipway... not nice... and away you go!

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

good luck!

[ps. I find, if you look like you know what you're doing, people will believe you do! so if it does go t!ts up, you can often get away with it!]