Originally posted by The Jackeens
Its The cork "Ford" sailing week held every year.
Speaking as an ex-WAFI.........
Cork Sailing week is a biannual (or is it biennial?). It alternates with the Nautor Swan Europeans and Admirals Cup. Undoubtedly better than Cowes Week today. Not nearly so commercialised and a lot more 'black stuff' (Beamish).
1. WAFI - not heard of that before, it has been logged and will be used. Like it.
2. Please do not tar all us yotties with the same brush. I agree that a great number of the plastic rag and stick tubs on the sea are driven by total idiots. I know, I have come to close hitting most of them in 25 years of racing in the channel and solent.
3. There some RIB owners in the same catagory. While on route to Cowes fireworks last year (on a yacht) we were passed by at least 3 RIBS with kids sitting on the bows without lifejackets! Also numerous RIBs and powerboats passing so close that they clearly heard our spoken condamnations.
4. Remember that the next yacht that tries to tack in front of you will be owend by your Bank Manager, and shouting at him will have a detrimental effect on your overdraft facility.
5. You should have been passing clear enough to not have to take drastic avoiding action, hence preserving your overdraft facility.
6. Each to his own. I have, on 1 memorable occasion, been on an 11m yacht which out accelerated the Ancaster RIB from standstill all the way to 18 kts. Now, that takes some beating for an adrenalin rush.
7. See how much Gold we pick up in Athens in the sailing events.
8. Why don't we buy each other a beer at Ribex?