Click Here to Login

Old 27 May 2009, 19:01   #1

Town: torquay
Boat name: none
Make: avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5hp honda
should a 5hp 4 stroke plane????

hi all,i have a 2.8 avon with a ridged hull with a honda 5hp 4stroke (2007).....should it plane?cheers rob
Old 27 May 2009, 19:27   #2

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Should do with one up if you are not too heavy but it may take a bit of time to get there. You will need to get yourself well forward and a tiller extension would help. We used a 2.8 with an 8hp as a tender and it planed with two adults. I think there was a thread started by somebody with an Avon 3.2 rib which may be worth searching for.
Old 27 May 2009, 19:30   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi Rob - I reckon it 'could' . Not a direct answer , but I have had an 8hpon a 3.1 Avon RIB that planed 2 up quite easily .

It may come down to weight distribution . You'll need to be near the front to get going & it'll get knocked off the plane pretty easily .

Pete
Old 27 May 2009, 19:34   #4

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
It may plane, but be careful 5hp engines aren't designed to plane so over heating is common.

I got my cousins a 2.3m with a 2.5hp Mercury which planes, however they can only plane for about 3 or 4 mins. Considering swapping for a honda 2.3 which is air cooled.

Jono
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14042009(001).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	42788   Click image for larger version

Name:	14042009.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	42789  
Old 27 May 2009, 19:47   #5

Town: Glasgow
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
It may plane, but be careful 5hp engines aren't designed to plane so over heating is common.

I got my cousins a 2.3m with a 2.5hp Mercury which planes, however they can only plane for about 3 or 4 mins. Considering swapping for a honda 2.3 which is air cooled.

Jono
is that boat coded?
Old 27 May 2009, 19:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart-trouble View Post
is that boat coded?

Yes 300 yds from a safe haven, favourable weather
Old 27 May 2009, 20:21   #7

Town: Glasgow
Engine: Yamaha
ha!
Old 27 May 2009, 21:57   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
It may plane, but be careful 5hp engines aren't designed to plane
What's the difference between a planing and non planing engine? Not trying to start an argument, just curious? There isn't much danger of my 6hp Johnzuki planing the Destroyer but I had vaguely thought of getting a little dinghy to play with using the aux, and wonder if it could be a problem.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 04:06   #9

thanks for your replies.....im 13.5 stone...i watched a clip on youtube with a zodiac and 5hp honda with 2up and they seem to get it up on a plane with no effort.i have tried adusting the angle of the engine but all that happens is front pulls up a bit and it churns up alot of water! would a 2stoke be any better?,cheers rob
Old 28 May 2009, 06:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
What's the difference between a planing and non planing engine? Not trying to start an argument, just curious? There isn't much danger of my 6hp Johnzuki planing the Destroyer but I had vaguely thought of getting a little dinghy to play with using the aux, and wonder if it could be a problem.
Hi Steve

I don't think there are officially "planing engines" and "non planning engines" for me this is from personal experience and not a book. Is suppose the size of the water in let is the problem, at speed, not letting enough water in to keep the water pump happy. J S is the SIB planning expert may be he could comment further.

BTW the Puma Engine is performing well, although its not a tdi300. 6 speed box on the tdi300 would be great!

Jono
Old 28 May 2009, 08:18   #11

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy1616bike View Post
hi all,i have a 2.8 avon with a ridged hull with a honda 5hp 4stroke (2007).....should it plane?cheers rob
I think this could be marginal. Is it the Avon Rover with a flat internal floor, which is quite a heavy boat?

Our 3.1m Zodiac will easily plane with just me on board. That's with 6HP 4 stroke but using nowhere near full throttle. Our rig is quite a lot lighter though, the boat is nearly 20kg lighter than the Avon Rover, the engine a couple of kg lighter, and I weigh less than you as well.

Now our engine's run in and I can use full throttle, our rig will just plane two-up but its very slow to get there. I have the engine raised with a 1" spacer on the transom and it could probably do with going a bit higher. I need to try different tilt settings.

Tony S
Old 28 May 2009, 10:42   #12

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
as said by JONO most small outboards will plane ,but the pumps are small and if there is any wear on the impeller or pump or the intake gets covered by a bit of weed or a plaggy bag then you will have problems ,also most dont have themostats,the old 4hp johnsons /eveinrude were prone to overheating when planing for long periods,some can even start to overheat owing to the boat planeing too high up and leaving the pump dry if having to have a lot of weight forward .with 2strokes at 100/1 oil mix if the engine does overheat theres not going to be much oil present . the mariner 4hp seem ok planing for long periods as our club sec and i went on a 5 mile trip along the coast few weeks back with no probs and he left me standing ,
Old 29 May 2009, 01:36   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Hi Steve

I don't think there are officially "planing engines" and "non planning engines" for me this is from personal experience and not a book. Is suppose the size of the water in let is the problem, at speed, not letting enough water in to keep the water pump happy. J S is the SIB planning expert may be he could comment further.

BTW the Puma Engine is performing well, although its not a tdi300. 6 speed box on the tdi300 would be great!

Jono
Ta - yes thinking about it, the water inlet on my 6 is quite small but as it is a long shaft I guess it should be well underwater on a SIB which might help

I agree - I need a set of Puma ratios on my 300Tdi 110

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 07:29   #14

hi guys,thanks for your replies......im thinking of buying a 8hp yamaha 2stroke.....will this do the job??? the avon i have has the fiberglass hull with a flat floor....it has a grey rubbing strake with a blue band runnig through middle...the avon logos are situated near the front on both sides...ore straps are inside the boat....does anyone know the model and approximate year?,cheers rob
Old 30 May 2009, 12:37   #15

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Engine: Optimax 115
This is our Avon 2.80 rib which sounds slightly different from the one you are describing. It is a 1990 and back then we put a yam 8hp 2stroke on it.

We used it extensively as a tender for 3 years and it would plane with 2 adults totalling about 20 stone and various other bibs and bobs (water, fuel, snorkelling kit, shopping, grab box, anchor etc etc). Being so short a boat you need to get your weight well forward to get it up in the plane and only then move a little aft. You can see the loops on the tubes where the thwart attaches (not the ones right aft which are for the oar stowage) and we would both be pretty well sitting on that and strech back to reach the tiller. It was interesting if there was any chop.

We now have a Yam 8hp 4 stroke to put on it and it would plane with one adult and 2x 11yr olds but again would need to have the weight well forward to get it going.

At one stage I was thinking of looking at the prop pitch but we don’t use it much now so it isn’t worth the effort.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0482 RED.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	42828