Old 03 December 2016, 16:21   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Shooting the Breeze

xtrail...i approve! best car i've ever had by a long shot. pic of my old one with the old trailer.

couple of things if i may- your rollers could do with a little tweaking, the front one needs to come back a couple of feet to below the console roughly for me.

does that axle position balance correctly? the xtrail limit is 100kg if memory serves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150214_115657.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	117309  

Old 03 December 2016, 16:38   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 235913962
RIBase
I got the new axle built and sent it to get galvanised so I fitted that yesterday when I weighed the boat and the trailer it was knocking on 920kg so too much for unbraked I have got the new rollers fitted in line with the axle these are temporary just now as I am doing new brackets and getting them galvanised when we have enough to send away there is a minimum order of 200 kg at the galvanisers the new axle was moved forward as there was a bit too much nose weight

Old 03 December 2016, 16:42   #3

amazing how heavy things are when you put them on a bridge, i found out the hard way too and 4k to replace the above trailer. the company stood tall though as they made a mistake when weighing it so kudos to them. unfortunately it sparked a chain reaction and my storage is nearly double because twin axle and i had to get another car as it was really pushing the xtrail to the limit. the above was 1960kg, i have not weighed it with the twin axle trailer yet.
Old 03 December 2016, 16:56   #4

RIBase
I quite like the x trail it goes pretty good heres my old boat getting dragged about by the iveco now that is a proper tow hack it doesn't matter about nose weight with that its not that comfy but great at towing we were in south Queensferry last week twice got some funny looks going along the wee cobbled streets ,what car did you change to from the x trail
Old 03 December 2016, 16:59   #5

i have an xc90 now, well arnold clark have an xc90 for 2 weeks and counting that i'm paying for, put it that way.
Old 03 December 2016, 17:02   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
i have an xc90 now, well arnold clark have my xc90 for 2 weeks now that i'm paying for, put it that way.
have you and John got a Volvo / rib club thing going I meant to ask wheres best to launch around the clyde I was going to take the kids out at xmas holidays to the sugar boat
Old 03 December 2016, 17:13   #7

hahaha, it looks that way!

long story short, i wanted to change my xtrail like a hole in the head but the xtrail really was at limit with my rib and it was only a matter of time before it needed 1k spent on a DMF/clutch. i bought a grand cherokee 10 plate which i had a total of 3 days, total buckets those things-long story. i decided to get the "reliable volvo" option rather than a range rover as it is only use it for towing, i bought it 5 months ago and it has done a total of 600 miles as it sits in my driveway 80% of the time, arnold clark 15% of the time and used the other 5%.

to be fair to the car the issue is mostly arnold clark, they are simply useless but that won't be news to anyone i'm sure.

i would just launch from largs or kip TBH for that. kip if you can get the tides right as it is only usable really half tide or better. there is a slipway at gourock/port glasgow but they both have issues with being really slippy or parking is iffy.
Old 03 December 2016, 17:22   #8

RIBase
I've heard about tyres being slashed at port Glasgow and I think theres a barrier across the entrance I've launched from Largs twice and although its expensive its pretty good to launch from
Old 03 December 2016, 17:24   #9

there is a barrier across one slipway, that is not the one i'm talking about using at port glasgow. about 500 yards further towards greenock there is another slipway at coronation park that has just been renewed.

i normally launch from kip unless only going out with the other guys for a few hours.
Old 03 December 2016, 17:28   #10

RIBase
I will have a look next week when I am at clyde outboards