Old 03 December 2016, 20:21   #1

Shooting the Breeze

xtrail...i approve! best car i've ever had by a long shot. pic of my old one with the old trailer.

couple of things if i may- your rollers could do with a little tweaking, the front one needs to come back a couple of feet to below the console roughly for me.

does that axle position balance correctly? the xtrail limit is 100kg if memory serves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150214_115657.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	117309  
Old 03 December 2016, 20:38   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
I got the new axle built and sent it to get galvanised so I fitted that yesterday when I weighed the boat and the trailer it was knocking on 920kg so too much for unbraked I have got the new rollers fitted in line with the axle these are temporary just now as I am doing new brackets and getting them galvanised when we have enough to send away there is a minimum order of 200 kg at the galvanisers the new axle was moved forward as there was a bit too much nose weight
Old 03 December 2016, 20:42   #3

amazing how heavy things are when you put them on a bridge, i found out the hard way too and 4k to replace the above trailer. the company stood tall though as they made a mistake when weighing it so kudos to them. unfortunately it sparked a chain reaction and my storage is nearly double because twin axle and i had to get another car as it was really pushing the xtrail to the limit. the above was 1960kg, i have not weighed it with the twin axle trailer yet.
Old 03 December 2016, 20:56   #4

RIBase
I quite like the x trail it goes pretty good heres my old boat getting dragged about by the iveco now that is a proper tow hack it doesn't matter about nose weight with that its not that comfy but great at towing we were in south Queensferry last week twice got some funny looks going along the wee cobbled streets ,what car did you change to from the x trail
Old 03 December 2016, 20:59   #5

i have an xc90 now, well arnold clark have an xc90 for 2 weeks and counting that i'm paying for, put it that way.
Old 03 December 2016, 21:02   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i have an xc90 now, well arnold clark have my xc90 for 2 weeks now that i'm paying for, put it that way.
have you and John got a Volvo / rib club thing going I meant to ask wheres best to launch around the clyde I was going to take the kids out at xmas holidays to the sugar boat
Old 03 December 2016, 21:13   #7

hahaha, it looks that way!

long story short, i wanted to change my xtrail like a hole in the head but the xtrail really was at limit with my rib and it was only a matter of time before it needed 1k spent on a DMF/clutch. i bought a grand cherokee 10 plate which i had a total of 3 days, total buckets those things-long story. i decided to get the "reliable volvo" option rather than a range rover as it is only use it for towing, i bought it 5 months ago and it has done a total of 600 miles as it sits in my driveway 80% of the time, arnold clark 15% of the time and used the other 5%.

to be fair to the car the issue is mostly arnold clark, they are simply useless but that won't be news to anyone i'm sure.

i would just launch from largs or kip TBH for that. kip if you can get the tides right as it is only usable really half tide or better. there is a slipway at gourock/port glasgow but they both have issues with being really slippy or parking is iffy.
Old 03 December 2016, 21:22   #8

RIBase
I've heard about tyres being slashed at port Glasgow and I think theres a barrier across the entrance I've launched from Largs twice and although its expensive its pretty good to launch from
Old 03 December 2016, 21:24   #9

there is a barrier across one slipway, that is not the one i'm talking about using at port glasgow. about 500 yards further towards greenock there is another slipway at coronation park that has just been renewed.

i normally launch from kip unless only going out with the other guys for a few hours.
Old 03 December 2016, 21:28   #10

RIBase
I will have a look next week when I am at clyde outboards
Old 04 December 2016, 07:18   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
there is a minimum order of 200 kg at the galvanisers
I'll give you a call about this, doesn't sound right.
Old 04 December 2016, 08:00   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I'll give you a call about this, doesn't sound right.
its correct if you are below 200kg you are paying for 200kg no matter what and its £50+vat it shouldn't be too bad next visit as theres bits of a timber trailer and mesh sides to get done as well
Old 16 December 2016, 23:16   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
I've heard about tyres being slashed at port Glasgow and I think theres a barrier across the entrance I've launched from Largs twice and although its expensive its pretty good to launch from
You can launch from largs for free if you use the public slip by the car park before the sailing club
Not good at low tide though as the beach is quite shallow for the last 1/4 of the tide
Old 17 December 2016, 15:44   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I had a tyre slashed at Port Glasgow, but probably 10 yrs ago now. I expect the person responsible has either grown up or moved on to more significant crime now. Perhaps someone new has filled the gap, but when I reported it to the police they didn't seem overly surprised although they said they hadn't had other reports. I've spoken to a few people who use the slip fairly regularly and have never had a problem.
Old 18 December 2016, 17:51   #15

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Not good at low tide though as the beach is quite shallow for the last 1/4 of the tide
Having looked a that slip at about half tide I felt it was borderline and there seems to always be some event or other going on that monopolises the car park.
On the positive side, if you miss the tide or there's a problem you can always resort to the marina's slip that's good for any weather or tide. (but not cheep)
Old 18 December 2016, 17:59   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Having looked a that slip at about half tide I felt it was borderline and there seems to always be some event or other going on that monopolises the car park.
On the positive side, if you miss the tide or there's a problem you can always resort to the marina's slip that's good for any weather or tide. (but not cheep)
I am favouring the slip at coronation park for a trip in the clyde in the xmas holidays I have been trying to get out that way to have a gander at it but been to busy or the wrong direction with work and theres not a mention of it on boatlaunch
Old 18 December 2016, 21:19   #17

Quote:
I am favouring the slip at coronation park for a trip in the clyde in the xmas holidays I have been trying to get out that way to have a gander at it but been to busy or the wrong direction with work and theres not a mention of it on boatlaunch
It is brand new refurbished but they could have made it better imo, it has a little green slime on it so be careful. They should have done what Largs has with that type of concrete or stones that no slime grows on or if it does you still have grip.

There is a big eye at the top of it so if worried can tie off to that or rope it down.

I launched from it once last year but I wouldn't like to put car down it too far due to slime, but my rig is substantially heavier and I've seen cars use it with small cabin cruisers with little issue.

Edit, not a great piccy but gives you an idea....it is not fenced off BTW anymore.

http://www.inverclydenow.com/gallery...glasgow-22743#

BTW, if you want to go out I'm up for a jaunt but I'll be launching at kip. (Assuming arnold clark give me my car back I should say)
Old 19 December 2016, 06:25   #18

RIBase
yep deffo up for a jaunt I am only off until 3 jan I can launch from kip as well I was looking at port glasgow for a look the upper reaches of the clyde I was talking to John the other day I think he is still up for the forth on the 27th are you coming along as well
Old 19 December 2016, 10:08   #19

Yes I'm planning to come on the 27th, never been on the forth so look forward to it.

As I said, it is totally dependent on arnold clark getting me my car back though. They have had it 3 weeks plus now.
Old 19 December 2016, 18:17   #20

Town: glasgow
Boat name: kilda
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard
you can also launch at the largs lifeboat slip for free, it can be a bit rough to recover in a good west or south west.