Old 03 December 2014, 17:22   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Shock mitigating flooring

I have search but cannot see this listed before.

I today was out reveiwing/testing Wolf Shock Mitigation Systems LTD | Products which a flooring system that can be easily laid and fitted aboard and also lifted if you change boats.

Having tried shock reduction seats and attended some shock mitigating seminars I was keen to look at this product produced locally to South Coast.

The issue for shock seating for me is the cost and the moving parts and also they should be adjusted to each passenger. Also when the going gets rough we regularly stand over jockey seats and use our legs to act as absorbers of the shock thereby eliminating the seats.

This flooring appears from our experiences today to be well thought out and does reduce flooring impacts at speed. We tried a 5.8 RIB today with the flooring removed to start with and then placed it in position to helm at 28-30knts into Solent chop and some ferry waves. I have no doubt it worked for us whilst standing and found sitting down harsh for the conditions. We ran a smaller boat as we wanted to see how it worked at speed

I have no connections with the company but am looking now to get some firm ideas of a fitment/measurements

I have placed some images on here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4063641&type=1

and also several 3-4 videos on my facebook page which dont do it justice as I was hanging on and trying to film https://www.facebook.com/pages/C2-RIB/226148124063641

Hope this helps others if they are looking at options.
Old 03 December 2014, 18:13   #2

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
How thick is it ? an inch ?
Old 03 December 2014, 20:22   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I have Wolf Shock Mitigation Flooring on NEVER ENOUGH . It was used by the 999 RB Challenge Team. I can confirm it works . Good stuff.
It is made to measure so not to easy to move from rib to rib unless identical deck layout.
Old 03 December 2014, 20:27   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I have Wolf Shock Mitigation Flooring on NEVER ENOUGH . It was used by the 999 RB Challenge Team. I can confirm it works . Good stuff.
Which type of shock is it best at dealing with - the big off the top of a wave hard landing that might cause a serious injury, or the continual bumping that leaves you fatigued after a long day? i.e. big G low frequency or low G relatively high frequency?
Old 03 December 2014, 20:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
How thick is it ? an inch ?
I would say a bit more never got to measuring the thickness
Old 03 December 2014, 20:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Which type of shock is it best at dealing with - the big off the top of a wave hard landing that might cause a serious injury, or the continual bumping that leaves you fatigued after a long day? i.e. big G low frequency or low G relatively high frequency?
I have not tried it out in very extreme conditions but for sure would work for continual bumping.

The 999 RB Challenge had it only from Ramsgate to Southampton and comments were made on their FB page
Old 05 December 2014, 08:26   #7

Length: 5m +
Sorry for being daft here, but what is made of? Is is sprung or more like high density foam?
Cheers
Old 05 December 2014, 12:52   #8

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Its expensive, so its probably made of magic.
Old 05 December 2014, 13:21   #9

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
We use Cannon EVA utility mats from ebay. Great stuff you can lock together like a jigsaw puzzle. Super light. Can be cut easily too! Good shock absorber & at only £1.99 for
a 2 ft square!!!!!
You could always double them up to make them softer?
Old 05 December 2014, 18:28   #10

At 20kg per Sq metre it sounds quite substantial...
Old 05 December 2014, 18:30   #11

John, was thinking about the mrs's yoga / fitness mat...at least it would get used on my rib 😃
Old 05 December 2014, 18:39   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Sorry for being daft here, but what is made of? Is is sprung or more like high density foam?
Cheers
Not daft at all, I cant answer as a definite, but sure Mike would answer for us all, In general there is rubber type base with some form of rubber separation to the top section that can be tec deck, rubber etc .

On costing I think an 8m boat can be done for about the price of one shock seat . We look at this as a positive option as clients need to know we take their safety as a primary despite our knowledge /training on reducing shock on high speed craft . This is not about driving harder in the chop and rough stuff, but having a system in place to assist us keeping shock for all down despite reducing speeds.

We are licensed on most craft up to 12 persons and shock seats have too many moving parts, if one person slips, or drops a hand or moves a foot it could cause more injuries than not having them, also most should be adjusted to each passenger, so a nightmare when people change seats during the day. the flooring has none of these problems. We have to remember/assume that most people we see are not regular boaters like us
Old 05 December 2014, 18:43   #13
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
We use Cannon EVA utility mats from ebay. Great stuff you can lock together like a jigsaw puzzle. Super light. Can be cut easily too! Good shock absorber & at only £1.99 for
a 2 ft square!!!!!
You could always double them up to make them softer?
very similar to the stable matting we use, but again using a product that cannot carry testing would be failing on our behalf and a license for lawyers to have a go, yes I have some for anchor lockers
Old 05 December 2014, 19:34   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
We use Mitigator shock reduction media Racing Seats, Custom cushions, Shock & Blast Injury Prevention by Sea Systems Group, Inc. which can either be used under your feet or in the seat cushion. At the end of the day you need to ensure that anything you buy has been tested and has independent data to prove that both high and low frequency impact is reduced by a quantifiable amount. Scot Seats are the Uk stockist for mitigator http://www.scotseats.co.uk/downloads...onBrochure.pdf and they publish a reduction of 75%. It might be worth looking at. If you want to see what Mitigator is like and even try some I have some in my garage which you can borrow.

www.sabermarine.com
Trailer Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2014, 19:45   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Bloke View Post
We use Mitigator shock reduction media Racing Seats, Custom cushions, Shock & Blast Injury Prevention by Sea Systems Group, Inc. which can either be used under your feet or in the seat cushion. At the end of the day you need to ensure that anything you buy has been tested and has independent data to prove that both high and low frequency impact is reduced by a quantifiable amount. Scot Seats are the Uk stockist for mitigator http://www.scotseats.co.uk/downloads...onBrochure.pdf and they publish a reduction of 75%. It might be worth looking at. If you want to see what Mitigator is like and even try some I have some in my garage which you can borrow.
cheers Simeon.

The seats in our ops are pointless, Interested in floor option so will be in touch,Wolf Shock have had independent testing done too and think 40% is the area of reduction. We have looked at cushions like yours and there are some new ones due soon from Wolf again for us to take a look at.
Part of a review we are doing
Old 05 December 2014, 19:47   #16

The other thing worth looking at is using Seaspension Products | Seaspension suspension pedestals. Again they have testing data and are used in the US by Coastguard and Navy. I have used these in my big boat and do not require weight adjustment. They are just a plain pedestal so no gubbins to get things caught in. Again I have a spare one in my garage I could show you and I could also help you work out how to fit them to your existing seats tops. You would have to take the seat bases out and then secure them to the deck. I also have a fantastic suspension solution for your bench seat

www.sabermarine.com
Old 05 December 2014, 19:56   #17

Watch wavesoft who are developing a rib seat. The wave soft units we use in the Cougars are fantastic and cost £100 per seat

www.sabermarine.com
Old 05 December 2014, 20:16   #18

The Wolf Shock mitigation floor only works for those standing . As I stand most of the time it suits me very well.
Old 05 December 2014, 21:47   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I saw this on one of the Round Ireland 2013 boats. Novel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Double decker.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	101416  
Old 06 December 2014, 10:26   #20

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Bloke View Post
Watch wavesoft who are developing a rib seat. The wave soft units we use in the Cougars are fantastic and cost £100 per seat
Nice to have feedback from someone actually tested that type. Base on Your experience, are ther any conditions when You have noted that the wavesoft suspension makes things worse compared to without them installed?