Old 23 August 2012, 16:35   #21

Town: San Diego
Length: 8m +
Just wanted to take a quick second and say thanks for all the great feedback here. Things are a little hectic in the office today, but I will get back to everyone this evening. You guys are great.

Old 24 August 2012, 02:16   #22

Martini,
Thanks for the reference on John, we have had a bit of contact lately and he seems like a really knowledgeable guy.

Peter C,
How big of an area are you covering?

M_chappellow,
I don't really know much about the Airex mats..does that get slick when it is wet? Anyone run that on a bigger boat?

NCP,
Where do you keep your boat? Would nice to meet you some time and show you what we are up to in person.

c2_Ribs,
Thanks for your input... and info.
Quick question, how standardized are the production RIBs that are sold as far as the deck layouts go, do most owners order different deck layouts on the same model boats? The reason I ask is because almost every military boat we have measured has slightly different deck layout.

In general it seems like that 5 year life expectancy comes up as an issue so this is something we will be taking a closer look at.

Old 24 August 2012, 02:52   #23

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback and time.
Old 24 August 2012, 03:36   #24

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Champion View Post
Peter C,
How big of an area are you covering?
I have a milk crate mounted in the bow that houses the anchor stuff, then my electronics tower, tool box, and fuel tank towards the stern. It would be nice to "soften" everything else. Typical 4.2m Zodiac.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Boat.jpg
Views:	1453
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	71436  
Old 24 August 2012, 13:01   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
[QUOTE=

c2_Ribs,
Thanks for your input... and info.
Quick question, how standardized are the production RIBs that are sold as far as the deck layouts go, do most owners order different deck layouts on the same model boats? The reason I ask is because almost every military boat we have measured has slightly different deck layout.

In general it seems like that 5 year life expectancy comes up as an issue so this is something we will be taking a closer look at.[/QUOTE]

The majority of production RIBs are all set to the new owners requirments so my consul is further forward to put jockey seats in place. The layouts generally form jockey seats and some bench seats but all I would say will be slightly different for similar hulls. Yep warranty/ life needs to be good for commercial and leisure users
Old 25 August 2012, 15:54   #26

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
We used Seashocks for Round Britain 2010. Was very good - more info here Great British RIB Rally - one story

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 04:43   #27

Town: Portaferry
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Go to any equestrian supplier and take a look at the "rubber" flooring mats they use for the floor of stables. They work out at about 12 for a 6x4 18 for a 8x4. There are several types. One is solid with no holes another is a open grid with drain holes running through the sheet. They are about 3/4" thick easy cut to shape and give a anti-slip floor with good shock absorption (they are designed to prevent shock to the horses limbs) They are black and seem to ware well, at that price it don't cost much to replace them. I can't say scientifically how much shock they absorb but they do seem to help in practice.

I can post pics if interested.
Old 27 August 2012, 14:44   #28
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Champion View Post

NCP,
Where do you keep your boat? Would nice to meet you some time and show you what we are up to in person.
Solana Beach. Where are you guys located? Do you have have a demo rib somewhere to show off?
Old 27 August 2012, 16:33   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Hi Ross
Shock Mitigation is a subject that will have a massive impact on the whole "small" boat industry and in particular the commercial operators. Some are adopting a head in the sand approach, whilst others (RibNet) members are pro-actively doing everything we can to reduce the risks. As the law stands, a commercial operator is legally obliged to protect the staff (but not the passengers). Of course, any action to protect the staff should have an impact on the protection of the passengers too. i.e how the boat/RIB is operated.
I have for some time tried to obtain flooring that can be retro-fitted to our RIB as an additional aid to reduce the risk. The Skydex is all but impossible to obtain, as they seem to have no interest in non-military applications.
I would be very interested in any product than can be fitted to protect both crew and passengers. Durability and weight would be more critical than cost, although there will be a point where it would become too expensive. A 5 year life on a commercial RIB would seem reasonable. There are many other components on a commercial RIB that would need replacing in this sort of period.
If it had a 5 year life I would be comfortable with that, BUT the ease of removal and replacement would be critical, as we need the boat on the water and not days/weeks being worked on. Please make sure that it is UV stable, as most RIBs will be in direct sun light for most of the year.
A one year warranty seems a little light, but by comparison most engines only have a one year commercial cover, as apposed to a 5 year leisure cover.
As a company we have been promoting the issue of shock mitigation on this, as well as other forums, along with C2Ribs and would be happy to provide any assistance we can give in developing or testing any flooring of this nature.
We carry over 2500 passengers a year and would like to be seen as proactive in protecting them to the highest standards. Unfortunately, the cost of 14 full suspention seats are not financially viable and are not the "golden bullet" to this issue anyway.
Regards
Steve
Old 28 August 2012, 08:18   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI3GTO
I can post pics if interested.
Yes please