Old 01 December 2012, 15:28   #21

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Length: 6m +
Engine: Opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
You might be surprised. I didn't think I'd get my 7.8m through the gates into the garden (measured it and everything) - but deflating the tubes makes a massive difference. The boat will typically be a tube diameter narrower, so unless you have tiny tubes (less than 40cm dia) then it might fit...
It's the container all to itself that makes it expensive, we've already got two cars and all the other stuff in one container, so the boat on its own will be pricey.
We are checking though, cause if it can fit it'll save the hassle of bringing the UK trailer to Oz and then have to scrap it.....
The UK trailer is still in good nick but is under sized for our RIB....if anyone is looking to buy a 1300KG trailer its for sale:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/de-graf...tml:whistling:
Old 01 December 2012, 19:24   #22

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Helena
Make: Birchwood
Length: 5m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 250hp
Look at dunbier trailers too. Really good. IMO the oz trailers are much better than you get here in the uk anyway. Much simpler also give it a good coat of Lanox too. It's an aerosol like wd40 but its lanolin based and protects the trailer.
Old 02 December 2012, 02:00   #23

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Mitch,

Puzzled by your comment that you can't fit your rib in a container. 7.4m Ribtec went in, albeit very slowly !

You're coming to Perth, great. It'll be good to have somebody to play with and I'd be happy to show you our "secret place" on Rotto.
Old 02 December 2012, 02:03   #24

Oh and I bought a new trailer from SBS before shipping as I thought I'd have problems with the old one. In hindsight I think that was a good call.
Old 03 December 2012, 19:56   #25
KJH

Town: mornington
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Oh and I bought a new trailer from SBS before shipping as I thought I'd have problems with the old one. In hindsight I think that was a good call.
Hi, can you tell me what alterations you had to do to your trailer to make it road legal in oz?

Thanks
Keith
Old 03 December 2012, 21:26   #26

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
one of our dive club members recently bought new Bombard Ocean Pro RIB in the UK and had it shipped out to Oz, where he has a house. He said that it saved him alot of money and he got the RIB he wanted. He spends about 6months in each country and didn't really have any specific difficulties, as I recall. I do know he had to sit the basic power boat course, as his various RYA/BSAC ones didn't seem to count.

DJ
Old 04 December 2012, 00:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
Hi, can you tell me what alterations you had to do to your trailer to make it road legal in oz?

Thanks
Keith
Keith, I think the only mod you will need to make to your trailer is to have breakaway chains fitted to the throat. Mine are simply welded either side and affix to the towing vehicle by means of a shackle.
Old 04 December 2012, 02:33   #28

Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 150
Sorry, can't offer much advice on the transportation but good luck with it all, I know from transporting all my household belongings over to Australia how much work it can be. I looked into shipping my car but gave up as that had even more obstacles but didn't have a boat back then.

If you wanted to check out the local prices of used boats to help decide if it is cost effective to transport your boat, one of the popular sites is: boatsales.com.au not many RIBs on there but there are a few.

Dunbier trailers are popular around here as they are made in Braeside, not too far from Mornington. Apparently at peak sales times there can be a bit of a wait to get one.

Just as a bit of additional info, VicRoads do the boat registration and you need a boat operators licence from them: Motor boat licences - VicRoads
Also some of the regulations at Transport Safety Victoria where you will find information on all the required gear: Recreational maritime - Transport Safety Victoria

And finally, to whet your appetite, a bit of info on the local area from Parks Victoria:
Parks Victoria - Bays, rivers and ports, a couple of useful books: Creeks & Harbours of Port Phillip & Westernport
Old 04 December 2012, 15:32   #29
KJH

Town: mornington
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Thanks bittentobuggary for the info on the trailer.
Dun buying already been to Aus and loved the place got friends and family in the Mornington area and on Philip island. Can't wait to get over with the boat and go diving and take the boat up to the lakes at gippsland. Looking to be out by the end of march at the latest.
Old 04 December 2012, 17:52   #30
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH View Post
Looking to be out by the end of march at the latest.

Tags
rib