Old 19 September 2011, 15:11   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Shearwater - any good

I'm considering a move up to a larger cabin rib. Shearwater look nice. Any opinions amongst the educated here ? What else should I be considering of similar type and look ?
Old 19 September 2011, 15:29   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've no direct experience of Shearwater so I'll leave commenting to those that do.

Other boats of a similar 'ilk? I guess it depends on budget and which bits of the Shearwater are appealing, and if you are looking new or used:

- Ribcraft: they do one that actually uses the Shearwater cabin moulding (or a close derivative).
- Ribeye: they offer something that at first glance is not dissimilar.
- Scorpion: perhaps the pioneers of production cabin ribs?
- Redbay: whilst probably more commonly thought of for their Wheelhouse rather than open cabin ribs, I think I am right in saying they do offer that option.
- Excalibur: or whatever has happened to them (assuming the rumour mill is true)
- Parker: I'm sure Andre had a demo model a year or so ago which had a small cabin area up front, but still with an open boat.
- Biffer: could build you whatever you want, or if you offer him enough he'll sell you his!
- Ribquest: since being bought out by Skua are allegedly planning a cabin version - no idea what that might be like.
- Zar: somewhat "different" looking, but as a casual observer, potentially very practical for the "weekending" rib couple?

There may be others... ...but I guess you'll need to define what you are looking for a bit more.
Old 19 September 2011, 16:02   #3

Get in touch with PeterM on this forum, he used to own one (I think he still borrows it), ive heard nothing bad about them only good things, they look nice, quick hull etc.
Old 19 September 2011, 16:07   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Berkshire
Boat name: Blueray,baby blue
Make: Shearwater,searider
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275verado,60mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
I'm considering a move up to a larger cabin rib. Shearwater look nice. Any opinions amongst the educated here ? What else should I be considering of similar type and look ?
Hi,
We own a Shearwater 860 and have owned it for 2 years now. We are very happy with the boat and it has never failed us. Except for stuffing a few times in a Force 7. We normally cruise at 30kts but the boat would be able to cruise at 35kts+ if you were prepared to pay for the extra fuel .
If you need any more info on the boats pm me.
Old 19 September 2011, 17:21   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Yep - I owned the first one they made at only 7.5m . Had for 3 years and still wish I had it.

Based on RING hulls so a good pedigree and a fast ( not the smoothest ) ride . Mine was very well built and topped 50knts on a the right days with 'just' 200hp ....

Again cruised at 30knts and like Trevor could cruise at 35 if you want to spend the money.

I think there was only ever one 7.5m , a couple of 8m and the rest 8.6. the longer boats having a slightly bigger cabin.

A call to Jim at Bembridge outboards is well worthwhile and he a very helpful guy as I am sure Trevor will confirm.

Ribcraft have copied or used the cabin shape - and I saw one today in the flesh for the first time at the boatshow. It seems bigger all round than either mine or Trevors was/is.

Like Trevor I had mine out in some bad weather F8-9 but as mine was shorter I never managed to stuff it ( or is that my driving ?) , infact mine was a little too tail heavy more weight at the back with a smaller tank towards the rear...

Anything specific just let me know....would I get another ?- without a doubt yes ....I do feel the ribcraft 'may' be a smoother ride, but none second hand yet and A LOT more expensive .....
Old 19 September 2011, 20:33   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Thanks everyone, just fishing for opinions. I've seen the two currently for sale second hand, they look quite good. Scorpion and Ribcaft (new ones) will certainly be out of my budget
Old 29 April 2012, 18:59   #7

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Engine: outboards
i think ring hull great,
Old 29 April 2012, 19:00   #8

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Engine: outboards
i had 6.2 crompton that was one mikes hulls and 5.8 tonado that 18 ring and i went to jersey in it in 99