Click Here to Login

Old 30 August 2004, 15:28   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Shakespeare Ribs - Your questions Answered

Since the pictures of Peters Shakespeare RIB apeared on the forums sevral questions have been asked, so Just to let you know, Jono (the other one) and I have been working away with Shakespeare and several tube suppliers, for a while now, in an effort to create and supply a high quality, low (relatively, after all this is the marine world we’re talking about!) cost way of getting onto the water in a RIB. This venture has been fueled by our general "dissatisfaction" of the RIB industry as a whole.
We are aiming to be fully sorted by the beginning of next season under the name of Professional Boat Sales , but can, even this early in the game supply new Shakespeare RIBS. We are in the process of building both a 620 and a 520, which will be available for viewing and demonstration shortly.

We have built 620’s already, but each time we think we’re going to have a demonstrator, someone steps forward with cash…. And you know I like the smell of cash!

We will supply boats in various stages, from tubed hulls, to complete "turnkey" boats with all the kit and training ready to get onto the water.

We are not going to be selling "cheap" boats! What we are selling is quality bits of kit that are well put together from quality sources. Shakespeare Hulls, UK Built Hypalon Tubes , Suzuki engine packages, Admiral trailers and the like. Our aim is to source all the components that you want, from reputable companies and either offer them to you as a kit for self rigging, or rig them for you in our Midlands based premises.

We have chosen Shakespeare as the boat to sell as we have been very impressed, not only with the high quality of the work they turn out, but the attention to detail that they show along with their willingness to look at modifications suggested.

We have also been involved in the discussions with Shakespeare and Suzuki and are pleased that we can offer Suzuki engines as original equipment on boats that we supply.

Those of you that are experienced, like I am, in buying RIBS will be aware of the aggravation of dealing with some companies/builders and this is precisely what we aim to overcome. You will not get false promises of delivery, you will get your telephone calls answered, you will get progress reports, and you will get the opportunity to inspect your boat as it is being built. Above all you will get the boat at the quality you expect and at the price that suits you.

We aim to provide the boat buyer with the sort of service that they have the right to expect and not what they currently receive from some sources.

If you have any questions, want to book a demonstration, or just a general "chinwag" about RIBS please contact me on the usual numbers,
Old 30 August 2004, 18:10   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Sounds great. Good luck with your new venture, Jono and Jono.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 18:43   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Good luck - sounds like you've got the right idea!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2004, 19:55   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Good luck
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2004, 19:53   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
As well as wishing.......

..........you both all the very best, may I request some additional information on avalibility, prices and engine packages. I've seen one or two "Wills" floating about and must say, even though I'm a true Zodiac devote, the Shake's are extremely well turned out by comparison.

Some photos would also be helpful.

Once again, all the best....
Old 01 September 2004, 05:51   #6

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
You mean something like this
Old 02 September 2004, 09:49   #7

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Meme

Best thing is to drop in and talk to me when you're Pwllheli way... but.....

Basically there will be two boat sizes available to start with, a 5.2 O/A and a 6.2 O/A, surprisingly referred to as the 520 and the 620….

Engines for the 620 (and the 520) are Suzuki 4 stroke power and the 620 flies well enough with a 90 on, but would have a bit more "oomph" with the 115 for "lardy types" and those who run with a heavy boat. It will take the 140 and that is what the demonstrator will have. They will be U/L to maximise the height of the transom for those that may wish to "code" their boats. Tubes are Hypalon and will be supplied by in any colour combination that Orca makes. Seats/consoles can be pretty much as you want, within physical reason! Possibly a good "family/social" arrangement will be two bench seats with swing over backrests. We have a range of Shakespeare made seats, which we can fit, or if you have a real preference for sourcing elsewhere we can accommodate your plans.

Boats can be supplied at any stage of finish. Your wishes and your wallet can dictate that level. The aim is to provide quality that people can afford and if this means buying a "base" boat and adding to it when funds allow, so be it.

Website will be up and running soon with an on-line options/ordering/pricing system.

We have just collected a 620 from the "tubers" to build up as my school boat. That will put it through its paces and prove what capable boats these Shakespeare RIBs are and give people a chance to try one on the water, whilst we are building up the demonstrator and the 520.
Old 02 September 2004, 09:52   #8

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetheboat
You mean something like this
That looks a bit like a Mike Ring hull, didn't you dispose of the moulds?
Old 02 September 2004, 10:15   #9

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
They will be U/L to maximise the height of the transom for those that may wish to "code" their boats.
Jono,

excuse my ignorance but what is U/L?

Cheers

Tim
Old 02 September 2004, 10:17   #10

This is a guess - it could mean 'ultra long', ie. the leg or shaft of the engine is ultra long. This enables the prop to sit below the hull whilst the transom is high enough to be fit the relevant criterion for coding. HTH
Old 02 September 2004, 10:19   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Ultra-long

Outboard used to come as just "standard" and "long shaft" but increasingly there seem to be longer and longer ones available. It's just the length of the leg that changes, so with an ultra long you can have a higher transom.

John

< Edit: beaten to it by Louise again! >
Old 02 September 2004, 10:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Jono,

excuse my ignorance but what is U/L?

Cheers

Tim
Ultra Long shaft length, 635mm on a suzi, which means you get a ridicuously high centre of gravity and the handling quirks to go with it!
Old 02 September 2004, 10:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
< Edit: beaten to it by Louise again! >
Hey, I'm getting you back for yesterday! You beat me to answering mstacey's query about filling the fuel tank before over-wintering!

Edit: Love your 'Reason for editing' DD!
Old 02 September 2004, 11:33   #14

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Ultra Long shaft length, 635mm on a suzi, which means you get a ridicuously high centre of gravity and the handling quirks to go with it!
Yeah! I really must get round to pointing this mistake out to all the RIB builders who use U/Ls these days. Kids eh? What can you tell 'em? Of course the increased CofG could be countered by the passengers sitting, say, 70mm lower in their seats.....or not standing up! Now that really buggers up the handling for RIBs (especially racing ribs. .but that's not what we're talking about here, or is it?) You do have the low seat option in your RIB don't you?
Old 02 September 2004, 11:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
You do have the low seat option in your RIB don't you?
No, slung em out and replaced them with a mattress.
Old 02 September 2004, 12:12   #16

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
No, slung em out and replaced them with a mattress.
No, no, no, no NO! You're still doin' it wrong! A MATTRESS, for feck's sake! Do you not realise just how heavy a mattress is? What you want is an air-bed... much better performance...

There was a letter in one of the performance 'bike comics a while ago from a chap who wanted to know how much a set of titanium fastners would be for his sports-bike because he wanted to reduce the weight and so increase the bike's relative performance. The reply from the editor? Take a p**s, sonny, more weight lost and much cheaper......
Old 02 September 2004, 12:58   #17

Ultra long, thats what I thought but always thought it was just XL. I guess this ultra long shaft specification is the same for both the 6.2m and the 5.2m. Would this not make it really difficult to buy a second hand engine to fit? I haven't ever seen a 2nd hand outboard labelled as having a ultra long shaft, only a long shaft (not that I've looked I guess!).

After a quick look on the mercury website, it seems that you only start to see a 635mm leg on outboards 115hp and above...what happens if you want to fit a 75hp or a 90hp? Am I missing something here? I know that Steve's demo boat has a new 75hp evinrude on it and Ed at Olmec has a 90hp on his so how do they do it?

Someone slap me and tell me i'm being stupid.

Tim
Old 02 September 2004, 13:10   #18

No you're not being stupid but the package being offered is with Suzuki engines so it might be a good idea to look at their website, rather than Mercury's? Yamahas are available as standard, long, super long (which they label XL, I think) and ultra long, but you are right that not all leg lengths are available with all size engines. HTH
Old 02 September 2004, 13:14   #19

Yep, your being stoopid! Ultra is Suzuki's wording for everyone elses XL or 25"

Most engines above 60hp (don't quote me) are available in that length.

You also get L = 20" or 508mm

Most of the bigger motors also come in XXL or 30". Suzuki call it XX. Hey, they're japs and like to be different!

Merc do a shorty in some motors 15"!!!!
Old 02 September 2004, 13:24   #20

hhhmm, ok thanks guys. I would imagine that it severely restricts the option of second hand motors out there at around 70-90hp because I guess they are mainly long at 508mm?

Just looking at the yamaha website and they seem to only have 25inch shafts starting on the 115hp model.

Tim