Old 25 August 2013, 15:57   #1

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Northern Storm
Make: North Diver?
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 Autolube
MMSI: 235096344
Setting up following refurb

Hi folk, not sure where this should be posted but as my refurb on Northern Storm is very close to being finished, the dramas, problems & dilemas kind of seem worthwhile. The big question now is that everything is wired up & working so the last stage is to sync the vhf and gps also enter mmsi number into vhf etc!. I live 3 mile inland from the sea so do I wheel the boat out the garage, enter the details and do radio check or should I tow the boat down the yard and do it all from where I launch????
Old 25 August 2013, 16:53   #2

Length: 3m +
I'd say, wire it all up, enter the MMSI at home, check you are getting a GPS possition on the DSC. Check you can receive on CH16 - listen just before the CG do their routine weather broadcast.

Would expect unless your garage is in the house you would get a GPS fix with patience in the garage but I may be wrong!

If you have a hand held I'd probably be naughty and test on 37M with someone on the handheld (illegal but no-one will die!) and almost certainly no-one will complain nor have the ability to DF from you signal to find you!!

THEN take it to the sea and test CH16 with an appropriate station like the CG.