Old 10 July 2007, 11:22   #11
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
- and you don't give your bank details over.
Every time you write a cheque you give your bank details.

randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 12:26   #12
Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Its a question of timing ...

I recently sold a yacht and used CHAPS. It works well if the purchaser is happy to come look, go away set up the transfer, it take place, then come back. (By which time the boat COULD have been moved etc so they potentially loose their money, if you as the seller are bent)

Bank Draft is fine if you can get to a boat, inspect it negotiate then go to the bank (most of us do this sort of thing on a Saturday and yes they still close at 12:30!!!)

I took a bank draft with me ( for 80% of the advertised cost) and a wad of cash to buy 7up, along with my driving license as a proof of id and address so that the seller could come after me if I wasn't legit. We both agreed that this was fair before hand as I had a 400 mile round trip and wanted to take the boat with me if she was what I wanted.

I suggested to the bank that they offer an internet service for people to 'check' the authentisity of the draft, to which I got the response "Have a nice day" only in that strange accent associated with bank call centres ....

genoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2007, 18:59   #13
Town: Guildfrod
Boat name: Escalloper
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 outboard
Recently bought a 5m for about 8k. Left a 500 cash deposit then turned up 3 weeks later (needed a tow bar!) with the rest in cash. Seller didn't even count it! Oh the missed opportunity!

Came armed with proof of ID, seller had all the original purchase info so all went very well - still in touch with the odd question. But then I'm a trusting soul - or was till some pond scum, low life life piece of s***t nicked my kids life jackets out of the boat locker in Hayling Island.

NickC is offline   Reply With Quote