Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 June 2008, 12:19   #11
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,318
no mate not bung! scorion say they do not need them!!! Similar setup to cookee deck either drains into a well under it which is pumped out or drains through tubing straight through transom but only at a higher water level. The aft section or rear bige is under moulded well and takes in alot of water! This is lowest point on boat and relys solely on a pump! If this was sealed or the deck bilge was not able to flow once full into aft the elcetrics would not be comprimised!

Cookee what heat shrink do you use?? Is it standard or "special"

Ive fitted connections submersible to 10m!
__________________

__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2008, 12:28   #12
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
So if you could block of the shower drainer hole in the floor the water would drain through the pip strait out the back & not get in the bilge?
__________________

__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2008, 17:22   #13
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
So if you could block of the shower drainer hole in the floor the water would drain through the pip strait out the back & not get in the bilge?
possibly!! the bottom of tubes would constantly be in water where it meets deck as the holes are quite high aft!! would that be a problem, algee growth maybe!! the rear seat does leak water on its own but it could minimise the flow
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2008, 03:36   #14
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
possibly!! the bottom of tubes would constantly be in water where it meets deck as the holes are quite high aft!! would that be a problem, algee growth maybe!! the rear seat does leak water on its own but it could minimise the flow
If the boat was tipped up there would not be much water be for it drained off!

Anther idea is to fit a pipe from your deck to run to the stern to drain the deck, I guess it would have to have a tap to shut it off when on the water as you wont have the height to drain above the water line! You could then have a self draining cockpit, on a trailer anyway!
I have this set up on my boat & it works very well but I can leave my tape open all the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	35215  
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2008, 03:49   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
If the boat was tipped up there would not be much water be for it drained off!

Anther idea is to fit a pipe from your deck to run to the stern to drain the deck, I guess it would have to have a tap to shut it off when on the water as you wont have the height to drain above the water line! You could then have a self draining cockpit, on a trailer anyway!
I have this set up on my boat & it works very well but I can leave my tape open all the time!
I also have this arrangement on the zodiac which includes a deck bung of about 1 1/2" and a pipe that exits just above the hull bung the other thing that i have is were the deck drain exits on the rear there is a one way valve (flap of rubber ) which works ok, my mate has a simaliar set up on his rib x but the rear outlet has a ball in a box arrangment which blocks the deck drain when the boat is in the water

the other advantage of this is that as soon as you get on the plane the Rib is empty



Andy
__________________
Stripes, we like stripes just need some stars now !
floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2008, 05:49   #16
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post

Cookee what heat shrink do you use?? Is it standard or "special"

Ive fitted connections submersible to 10m!
The stuff we use is the widely available heatshrink with glue in it - not that expensive in terms of a whole boat and the issues with bilge pumps failing, so I can't understand why some manufacturers don't use it, the same goes for the connectors - all of the crimp terminals have glue heatshrink sealing the wire from the elements.
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.