Old 10 September 2013, 21:30   #1

Town: Anglesey / Cheshire
Length: no boat
Seeking the impossible

After 4 decades of dinghy and yacht sailing I am about to sell my family sailboat and move to the Dark Side.
I have some specific requirements for my first RIB and would like to seek the opinion of the experts.
My hope is that with your help I can narrow down my options and find a RIB that will last me a while, keep us safe and give us enormous pleasure.

We are a family of four. The boys are adventurous 13 & 15 year olds and are big lads.
Our waters are predominantly Holyhead Bay. Ideally (if we can find the perfect boat) extending from Rhosneiger (on a perfect day) to the Skerries.
The main use of a RIB would be fun days out and towing the odd toy.
We would be launching by hand from a sandy beach. Tow limit would be 1850kg (initially) until we can afford a new towcar. even after replacing the car we'd be limited by what we can push. We would also like to trailer to western Scotland on the odd occasion.
Our budget would be £15k absolute max.

The above suggests that we need at least a 5m boat for the seas but if we're launching by hand then we'd be severely limited by weight of boat and trailer. I'd prefer 4 stroke for economy but obviously these are heavier.
Due to the waters I'll need a standby engine which adds weight. Also I am aware that the more sea-going hulls of this size can only accommodate a couple of passengers. I don't want my family to bounce out so seating for 4 is a must.

Clearly I'll need to make loads of compromises and I'm pretty certain going to 2 stroke will be the first of many.

I've scoured the RIBs for Sale section and every seller promises the perfect boat, but whilst I've plenty of sailing experience I've no RIB experience since I used to man the sailing club's Avon 450 rescue boat 30 years ago.

Is there a perfect combination out there and if so what would you adviise?
Many thanks
Kevin
Old 10 September 2013, 22:32   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Interesting predicament. Seating is the main issue on any 5m RIB, and if you're heading to the west coast then jockey or bolster seating is essential.

There are larger RIBs out there that offer in-line jockey seating for 4, but like anything, it means a bigger boat, bigger trailer, larger engine and of course more money.

If this had a little more seating, then this is a lot of boat for the money. DF100 engine.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/ribcraf...0hp-57074.html

This also caught my eye. Neoprene tubes, DF175, plenty seating (bolster style and rear bench).
Zodiac Pro Open 650 / Suzuki DF175 - Used - REDUCED | www.penninemarine.com

Outwith budget, but worth highlighting. Ribquest 5.3m with Suzuki DF70 (4 hours).
Rib Boats For Sale - Rigid Inflatable Boats for Sale

Regards back-up engine, a Yamaha/Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke long shaft would fit.
Old 11 September 2013, 08:55   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Firstly, welcome to ribnet!

I'm going to chop your post up a bit to throw some thoughts into the mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleseyRib View Post
We are a family of four. The boys are adventurous 13 & 15 year olds and are big lads.
Our waters are predominantly Holyhead Bay. Ideally (if we can find the perfect boat) extending from Rhosneiger (on a perfect day) to the Skerries.
The main use of a RIB would be fun days out and towing the odd toy.
We would be launching by hand from a sandy beach. Tow limit would be 1850kg (initially) until we can afford a new towcar. even after replacing the car we'd be limited by what we can push. We would also like to trailer to western Scotland on the odd occasion.
1850 Kg is not "small" - If you guestimate a single axle braked trailer for a 5-ish M rib will clock in around the 250- 300Kg mark, that leaves you with a ballpark of 1.5 tons of boat.

BUT, if you want to hand recover, you want this thing to be as light as sanely possible.....

Quote:

Our budget would be £15k absolute max.

The above suggests that we need at least a 5m boat for the seas but if we're launching by hand then we'd be severely limited by weight of boat and trailer. I'd prefer 4 stroke for economy but obviously these are heavier.
My Boat is the prequel to the prequel of the O-pro. Built in 1984 when most 60Hp engines were 2 cyl premix. The whole thing including engine clocks in at 420 KG, but the transom is only rated to 60Hp / 110Kg. (Part of the reason I went for the Clamshell). What I'm trying to say is that if you are looking to hand launch & recover, maybe worth looking at older boats which weren't built like the proverbial outhouse to handle the lardy 4- strokes that we now hang on the transom.

I'm probably going to open my favourite tin of worms here, but unless you are looking at a LOT of low speed action, I would suggest that unless you go for a proper oldschool 1960s lump, at WOT you still gotta burn the gogo juice to make it move. Have a search on here - various preople have worked out how many 1000s of miles worth of fuel could be bought with the difference in cost of the "newer less thirsty" 4 -strokes & a decent used 2-stroke.

Also 4- strokes (apart from the really new gen ones) are generally heavy for a given HP.

Quote:
Due to the waters I'll need a standby engine which adds weight.
Or, if you do your homework, for a given HP in approx 50% of cases twins are actually lighter than a single engine of double the HP - especially if you add an aux into the mix! Do a search - I'm not going to re-type it all agian - but at the sort of size you are looking at gearboxes are smaller & the speeds are slower, so the "huuuuuge drag increase" agument is nothing like as bad as some may make out - The difference in cross section between say a 40HP & an 80Hp gearbox is substantial, so dragging 2 x 40s through the water isn't as bad as gut feel might imply...

Quote:

Also I am aware that the more sea-going hulls of this size can only accommodate a couple of passengers. I don't want my family to bounce out so seating for 4 is a must.
Yes, at 5m you may have a problem there. BUT, if you go 5.3, some ribs are built in wider beam. (E.g Humber's O-Pro (& I think the destroyer) have 2m & a 2.3m beam versions). If you are storing it in a single garage you'll be instantly in the 2m beam category - so more seats = more length. If, however you are kieeping it where beam is not a problem, the extra 0.3m can make the difference between side by side jockeys being comfortable or not.....

Quote:

Clearly I'll need to make loads of compromises and I'm pretty certain going to 2 stroke will be the first of many.
Yep! All boats are a compromise to some degree....

2- stroke isn't a compromise - it's a lifestyle!

Quote:
I've scoured the RIBs for Sale section and every seller promises the perfect boat, but whilst I've plenty of sailing experience I've no RIB experience since I used to man the sailing club's Avon 450 rescue boat 30 years ago.

Is there a perfect combination out there and if so what would you adviise?
Many thanks
Kevin
The perfect boat will be about as close to utopian fantasy as you are ever likely to get! Seriously tho', chances are you'll buy something you think is perfect and then realise that if that bit was slighty different it would be a bit better.....

Best bet might be to get the family and see of you can either scrounge a lift in something or hire / test drive a boat from a broker / dealer. That will at least give you a feel for layout & "features".

Other thing if you are looking at weight - assuming you have to spec a trailer for it, remember that most trailers are spec'ed to carry xM long boats. This assumes a hard hull - there can be between 0.5-1m of toob overhang on a rib, which means you might be able to go for a smaller framed, lighter trailer (thus giving you a few more KG of boat / engine you can put on it).....