Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 August 2010, 11:11   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Security of boat/trailer - mechanical and electronic.

That old chestnut - got to fit a hitchlock and wheel clamp for insurance. Spent about 4 hours searching back through old topics and consensus seems to be that a Bulldog Titan is the best wheel clamp and virtually all the hitchlocks are cr@p - so planned on fitting a Milenco as price is reasonable and security reviews seem OK as far as these things go.

Also plan on using a high-security chain around trailer and tow assembly (and welding nuts/bolts/U-clamps on hitch/trailer with a couple of dabs to prevent quick removal of chained parts).

Datatag also seems a good idea - being cheap and becoming more widespread in random police scans etc - can anyone point me in the direction of the best kit for a boat/engine etc?

But the real one I'm stuck on is electronics - ie a cheap GPS tracker/mobile phone system etc. Can those in the know give any links to the latest/simplest/most reliable type of kit for an amateur to fit?
Old 07 August 2010, 11:29   #2

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
I am also looking in to this found this one perfect for use in a garage,but rather expensive also i have ordered 2 blue spot alarm padlocks for the garage door not sure what to make of them yet.http://www.gsmalarms.co.uk/boat-alarm.htm http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Blue-Spot-...852855ffb32367
Old 07 August 2010, 15:26   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Max... as long you are using insurance approved wheel clamp stipulated in your policy if it did get nicked they would pay out , no matter what security devices you have got on your trailer and rib if somebody wants it they will more than likely get it , all you can do , is make it harder for the opportunist thieves . When I'm out with my mate we use motorbike chains and chain our trailers together as well as putting the wheel clamps on , apart from that we enjoy the days ribbing and fishing without worrying too much about thieves . Enjoy your rib mate.
Old 07 August 2010, 21:29   #4

I dont think my policy states that i need a insurance approved hitchlock or wheel clamp when left unattended, mine just says a wheel clamp or a hitch lock.and a purpose designed outboard lock. does anyones insurance say it needs to be a insurance approved wheel clamp or hitch lock because i donk think mine does.cheers
Old 08 August 2010, 19:25   #5

RIBase
Hi astra , all insurance companies are different with the wording on their polices , this is the wording on mine.

Wheel clamp- a device sold and marketed as a secure method of preventing theft by avoiding road wheels turning or such other device APPROVED BY US .

Hope this helps ,

Steve.
Old 08 August 2010, 20:09   #6

Hi there so from that i gather if you contact your insurance they will say if what you are using is ok,all mine says is • You shall maintain and keep “Astra (Zodiac 340S with 15hp Mariner)” including any trailer in a proper state of repair
and seaworthiness or roadworthiness and shall at all times exercise due care and diligence in safeguarding them. Your road
trailer must be wheel clamped or hitch locked when unattended.to me that says that i could have any old crap clamped round the wheel and hitch,i believe my clamp and hitchlock are ok but not insurance approved.
Old 08 August 2010, 23:32   #7

RIBase
From what your insurance wording states I would agree with you , but as you know that in the event of any claim they will look for any excuse to not pay out . For the sake of the wording I would buy an insurance approved device just to be on the safe side it probably costs not much more than a device that doesn't state insurance approved . I've had caravan insurance in the past and this is the first time I have purchased boat insurance and all my policies have stated the same INSURANCE APPROVED . Just to be on the safe side I would double check your schedule and wording because in the unfortunate event of a claim it could be costly to yourself . This is just my opinion and not meant in anyway to discredit the insurance policy that you have.

Kind regards ,

Steve.
Old 09 August 2010, 07:45   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kerny, I think you are misreading your own policy. They define a wheel clamp as "a device sold and marketed as a secure method of preventing theft by avoiding road wheels turning OR such other device APPROVED BY US". Therefore any wheel clamp will do (as it is a device sold and marketed as secure method of preventing theft by avoiding road wheels turning).

Max, regarding your original question, unless you are keeping the boat somewhere rather insecure I think that what you are suggesting may be overkill. If I had to remove and refit all that every time I used my boat it would put me off. I guess if it was just sitting on a driveway or somewhere equally conspicuous then it might be worth doing. Rather than worrying about getting the "best" from a security point of view I'd get one that is easy to take on/off - my experience is cheap wheel clamps can take five minutes of jiggling around and swearing to get it on right and the same to get it off (especially on soft ground where it has dug its way in!).

Have you thought about how you will secure any electronics or other expensive stuff that is easy to remove?

In terms of datatags - I've never seen them being "scanned" up here - they may be more widely used where you are though. It may marginally increase the chance of recovering a stolen boat/engine but I would be surprised if it put off a thief willing to overcome the rest of your devices.

Possibly the most secure arrangement I have seen was an "eye" concreted into the ground underneath where the trailer axel sits. The trailer was then locked to this using a motorbike padlock and chain. Obvisouly a thief can get through it - but its in a bloody awkward place.

There have been various tracker threads here in the past few months and I'm sure the cheaper system that C2 and Lurcher (IIRC) went for might suit you well. As far as we've heard nobody here has had a boat with one fitted nicked so we don't yet know the effectiveness at helping the police trace it (i.e. were the devices disabled or the boat out of GSM signal/range by the time the police investigated).

Personally unless your boat is being stored somewhere particularly vulnerable (in which case possibly look for alternatives) then I'd be spending my money on helping me enjoy the boat (petrol, electronics, waterproofs/dry suits/geckos, or better lifejackets, and EPIRB etc) rather than trying to stop someone else enjoying my boat! If you want to spend an extra £20 on "security" it might be best spent on the insurance policy from a company with a good reputation for paying out quickly than skimping on insurance and trying to reinforce security.
Old 09 August 2010, 20:27   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Kerny, I think you are misreading your own policy. They define a wheel clamp as "a device sold and marketed as a secure method of preventing theft by avoiding road wheels turning OR such other device APPROVED BY US". Therefore any wheel clamp will do (as it is a device sold and marketed as secure method of preventing theft by avoiding road wheels turning).

Max, regarding your original question, unless you are keeping the boat somewhere rather insecure I think that what you are suggesting may be overkill. If I had to remove and refit all that every time I used my boat it would put me off. I guess if it was just sitting on a driveway or somewhere equally conspicuous then it might be worth doing. Rather than worrying about getting the "best" from a security point of view I'd get one that is easy to take on/off - my experience is cheap wheel clamps can take five minutes of jiggling around and swearing to get it on right and the same to get it off (especially on soft ground where it has dug its way in!).

Have you thought about how you will secure any electronics or other expensive stuff that is easy to remove?

In terms of datatags - I've never seen them being "scanned" up here - they may be more widely used where you are though. It may marginally increase the chance of recovering a stolen boat/engine but I would be surprised if it put off a thief willing to overcome the rest of your devices.

Possibly the most secure arrangement I have seen was an "eye" concreted into the ground underneath where the trailer Axel sits. The trailer was then locked to this using a motorbike padlock and chain. Obviously a thief can get through it - but its in a bloody awkward place.

There have been various tracker threads here in the past few months and I'm sure the cheaper system that C2 and Lurcher (IIRC) went for might suit you well. As far as we've heard nobody here has had a boat with one fitted nicked so we don't yet know the effectiveness at helping the police trace it (i.e. were the devices disabled or the boat out of GSM signal/range by the time the police investigated).

Personally unless your boat is being stored somewhere particularly vulnerable (in which case possibly look for alternatives) then I'd be spending my money on helping me enjoy the boat (petrol, electronics, waterproofs/dry suits/geckos, or better life jackets, and EPIRB etc) rather than trying to stop someone else enjoying my boat! If you want to spend an extra £20 on "security" it might be best spent on the insurance policy from a company with a good reputation for paying out quickly than skimping on insurance and trying to reinforce security.
Polwart now that you have mentioned it you are right I am misreading my policy, thanks for correcting me on the wording issue. I still think that it would be prudent to purchase an insurance approved security product though, just for peace of mind and overall quality.
Old 09 August 2010, 21:21   #10

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Max... If they want to take your kit they will. We had wheel clamp and hitchlock, which were removed with Oxy-aceteline torch to take the rig from our garden! Spending more money on the most expensive wheel lock won't help. A friend of mine in the same village had his rig removed whilst still locked up using a hiab crane on the back of a lorry. The scum bags that target our equipment are organised criminals, not opportunists.
Old 09 August 2010, 22:55   #11

RIBase
Solent Ribman , sorry to hear that happening to you , it just shows what these professional scum bags will do to get what they want . I blame the people that buy them off them , because they are the ones that create the market for them to be stolen in the first place.
Old 10 August 2010, 12:56   #12

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
This was last year - there are some threads on this site. It does leave one very bitter, when you have your hard earned possessions taken. We are very careful and have made some improvements to the overall security. Even so, if they are that determined they will find a way round the security. What we need is a new law, which says if you are caught stealing, you have a hand chopped off. I understand you don't see too many one armed bandits in the middle-east!