Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Second hand buying advise

I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now and got some really good information but have not yet found all the answers!

I am looking to buy my first second hand rib before Christmas and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for things to look out for...

i am looking to spend around 5 K so its not going to be pristine but what should i be looking for? its to be used mainly for solent crusing.

obviously different makes of ribs have different faults but are there any particular areas i should be looking at when viewing??

Thanks in advance.

Zippy.
Old 18 October 2004, 15:36   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Welcome to the forum you will find everyone on here both friendly and helpful.

In my opinion it depends how many people you wish to carry on board when cruising. This time last year when I bought my first RIB I originally though the bigger the better but some of the small RIBS are very capabable. Based on the info you have told us I would recommend an avon searider 4m / 4.7m / 5.4m. It all depends how wet you want to get! Cruising in a 4m RIB is usually a wet experience on all but the calmest days.

good luck

Heres a couple in your price range:

Humber 5m ( a little overpriced IMHO)
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/JBT109

4M searider also over priced ( needs converting to centre console again IMHO)
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F43149/

4M Searider
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F36389/
Old 18 October 2004, 17:45   #3

Thanks,

I had a good look through there over the weekend and came up with the same ones.

There was also a 5.45 meter raider on there which caught my eye although i cant find a great deal about them on the interwebthingie.

As for numbers of people i would like to be four up to make it at least semi social event and having been out in ribs a few times before i have been harshy introduced to the chill factor of a late May session off brighton!
Old 18 October 2004, 19:19   #4

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
could all so try this guy

valiant 4.5m now 7k

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F45096/

when buying second hand try to ask some one to come with you to look that knows a little you must see the engine running

other makes to look at

valiant v/ dr
zodiac pro
ribcraft

the above boat is mine its a bit over your buget but its new

dan
Old 18 October 2004, 20:06   #5

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Hi Zippy,
I was in the same position as you this time last year. What I would say is get out, look and try some boats. I had similar requirements as you and felt i knew what I wanted but after some test drives changed my mind. Remember if like me this is you first boat the money does not stop at the boat you will need to get extra kit (life jackets, radio etc,etc) do a search on what people carry for a full list. So see what's with the boats you are looking at. There are others here who will help with the best type of boat and engine for your needs. There are lots around this time of year so you should have a good choice.
Good luck.
Old 18 October 2004, 20:13   #6

Thanks for your info Guys,

I have done a lot of sailing in my time so am not completly new to the water and have a lot of the kit like life jackets, flares, radio, oilskins etc but you have made a very good point!

Looks like my credit card is going to take another pounding but hey ho! thats what money is for!
Old 18 October 2004, 20:40   #7
ADS

I think you want something around 5mtr then if you are taking 4 people.
Dan's boat is ideal particularly if you want the new boat look and are worried about asthetics. Personally, I bought an older boat to start with that I knew I wouldnt loose any money on and it wouldnt matter if I scraped it.
If you havent already I would recommend that you do your RYA powerboat level 2 -it really is worth the money and gives you more confidence in handling the Rib. Plenty of people to advice on PB2 on here.
Old 18 October 2004, 20:48   #8

Not hugely fussed about new boat apperance as i know im not spending new boat money. i am keen on not too many problems as although im practical my marine engineering skills are about as good as my spelling!

As for RYA Level 2 i have done that with the european waters certificate as well. (cant remember what thats called) i would be interested in doing my advanced or safety boat as well though once i have got a little experience in.
Old 18 October 2004, 20:57   #9
ADS

Sounds like your ready for a boat then.
I would discount Ribcraft because I am not sure you would get a 5m for your budget (Their second hand values are sky high).

Is the Raider you were looking at this one: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F48150/

Doesnt look bad, has a relatively shallow V hull so not so a bit of a handful in rough water. Looks like it has been used for diving (Judging by the bottle rack behind the console). The engine in my reckoning looks to be early nighties should provide plenty of power but will definatly like a bit of the motion lotion!
A lot of boat for the money.
Old 19 October 2004, 06:52   #10

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
I am also a converted sailer(well I still have the sailing boat).I had various ribs on boat share,then bought a ribcraft 4.8,I found that the solent is nearly always bumpy-not bumpy as in sailboats speeds but bumpy because you tend to be doing 15 knots minimum as a reasonable speed,this may sound obvious but it is not to be underestimated.Make sure that whatever you buy has a better engine,by this I mean,a reliable engine IMHO is more important then a flashy looking boat.Ensure that you get a good on load test of the engine,a quick run on muffs is not enough,I had a dealer check the engines on my ribcraft before buying and still got problems.
Boat length combined with a deep v are good for the solent,I have a 5.7 now and am looking to buy bigger but then ribbing gets you like that.Unfortunately,most local dealers reccomend 6 metre as a minimum for the solent to get a smoothish ride,I think it all depends how much you want to be thrown around and how fast you want to cruise.One of the main criteria I had when buying the current boat was a new engine with a good reputation,drifting disabled in the solent soon puts the family off.
Maybe join seastart or carry an auxilary,as with a sailing boat,the engine is obviously the alternative propulsion.
Old 19 October 2004, 16:06   #11

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Zippy,

If this one is still around it could be just right!!

http://ribs.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=18302

£4350, very cheap for a Ribcraft, worth looking at but be sure its well checked over.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F46724/ also worth a look if you are willing to travel to Ireland

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F44968/ 4m Searider/ honda 4strk

http://www.ribadverts.co.uk/Images/Oct-Nov04/avon.htm 5.5m Avon/140hp
A little over budget at 6500, but maybe you could get it down to 5500

Remember that there will be plenty of boats coming on to the market soon, and with the London Boat Show & Christmas coming up people will need to sell on the old to fund the new. A friend last yr bough a 6.8 Ribcraft Offshore for 8k less than the asking price!! He had travelled from Ireland to view the boat and cheekily brought 8k less than the asking price. The owner said not a chance, before ringing him the following day before he got back on the ferry to seal the deal!! It was 2 wks before the London boat Show!!
Old 19 October 2004, 20:05   #12

Thanks guys,

Its really good to hear other peoples views pefore splashing some money out. i am looking at a few this weekend and will wait and see but as im in no great rush theres no problem!

Good point about the boat show and time of year. there definatly seem to be more about than when i was looking earlier in the year!

Thanks again
Howard
Old 20 October 2004, 07:36   #13

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha

Whats odd about this apart from the fact Ribcraft dont make a 4.85 metre boat and there current 4.8 metre boat is only rated to take a maximum of 60HP on the transom !!!

Would make insuring it difficult !!
Old 20 October 2004, 08:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
If this one is still around it could be just right!!
£4350, very cheap for a Ribcraft, worth looking at but be sure its well checked over.
Not actually sure if this is such a great bargain.......?

A bare 4.8 ribcraft will set you back 4k new !!
Until you know you have to assume that the 96 mariner is shot and probably not worth a lot !!
The only kit stated was a fish finder........replacable at about £100 and a radio worth ?

maybe its correctly priced after all !!!
Old 20 October 2004, 11:09   #15

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Its worth a look though isn't it, like I said already be sure it's well checked over.Bilge you've definitely got a point, that could be the reason for the price but wouldn't you be annoyed with yourself if it turned out that the engine was perfect and you didn't even have a look!! Phone call couldn't hurt!!
Old 20 October 2004, 11:39   #16

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I tried like Hell to contact that guy with the RIB Craft for a looksee and never managed to make contact with him.

Treat with caution.

Regards.
Old 20 October 2004, 11:44   #17

If it sounds too good to be true then normally it is !!!

Sceptical as i cant see a picture of the boat, the description is wrong and if it is a 4.8 ribcraft its well over engined for the transom, if i were selling a boat i'd make sure i had at least got the description correct in the add.

Saying that if the hull, tubes and trailer are mint then it would be a good buy just for these bits, but a 9 year old boat isn't going to be mint unless its been well loved ! and remember having had that heavy 75 hanging on the back its probably nakered the transom just a bit too.

In my experience knowing what i know now id be weary of a 9 year old engine unless of course you know its complete history, like me you could end up spending a lot of money chasing problems
Old 20 October 2004, 11:49   #18

Zippy..... The best advise anyone can give is to get out on as many boats as you can over the next few weeks/months, decide from this what you want to do with the boat and where your likely to store it and this will then determine the size of boat you should be looking at, another consideration is costs, not only with the initial purchase but the running costs etc, remember the bigger the engine the more fuel irrespective of 4 or 2 stroke.