Old 11 February 2019, 04:30   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Seats, yes or no

I'm surprised to see so many comments on here regarding seats in ribs.

Personaly they are the first thing to be removed from any boats I've ever owned if they had them for a few reasons.

Firstly space is always limited and I find seats take up way to much room, especially given we dive and fish from ours. Yes things can be stored in some seats but the things I carry are often unusual sizes which wouldn't fit in most seats.

Secondly I'm getting on a bit and now have back and neck issues which simply compound when driving in rough conditions sitting down. Standing allows a fair amount of impact to be taken through bending at the knees like skiing and allows for easy balance.

Standing also gives me a better view of what's around me, I feel like I'm on constant 100% lookout while driving from standing position. An average day on the water heading offshore chassing game fish clocks up around 8-1O hrs of standing and 140km of offshore driving.

I regularly drive a few different comercial vessels which have no seats for drivers, these are bigger 10.5m Naird and Gemeni ribs. I also drive an abalone boat which are built without seats to allow for more fish box space, even an urchin boat I drive is the same. These boats are used in conditions I never dreamed of heading out of in all the years of owning boats in the UK.

So why are seats so popular in the UK?
Old 11 February 2019, 06:24   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I'm surprised to see so many comments on here regarding seats in ribs.

Personaly they are the first thing to be removed from any boats I've ever owned if they had them for a few reasons.

Firstly space is always limited and I find seats take up way to much room, especially given we dive and fish from ours. Yes things can be stored in some seats but the things I carry are often unusual sizes which wouldn't fit in most seats.

Secondly I'm getting on a bit and now have back and neck issues which simply compound when driving in rough conditions sitting down. Standing allows a fair amount of impact to be taken through bending at the knees like skiing and allows for easy balance.

Standing also gives me a better view of what's around me, I feel like I'm on constant 100% lookout while driving from standing position. An average day on the water heading offshore chassing game fish clocks up around 8-1O hrs of standing and 140km of offshore driving.

I regularly drive a few different comercial vessels which have no seats for drivers, these are bigger 10.5m Naird and Gemeni ribs. I also drive an abalone boat which are built without seats to allow for more fish box space, even an urchin boat I drive is the same. These boats are used in conditions I never dreamed of heading out of in all the years of owning boats in the UK.

I cant imagine not having a seat in my Rib. We like them to sit on
Old 11 February 2019, 07:13   #3

Length: 7m +
I cant imagine not having a seat on a rib, they are a safety feature in my opinion, mine are bolster types so when weather is reasonable would probably be using them in the bolster position as in supporting my back while helming, if really rough then would probably use them in the down position and sit, plus if its raining hard sitting down helps to avoid painful driving rain on your face.

If its really rough and you have one hand on steering and one on throttles then not much support for the forces involved in large waves etc.
Old 11 February 2019, 08:49   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:

Probably to sit ?
Not sure whether girlfriend / wife / kids / other guests would be happy to stand all day in a RIB .
I am used to suspension seats on bigger RIBs now and do mostly long distance cruises - so sit most of the time .
The current boat has even foot straps .
But I remember my former Searider during the Round Ireland challenge .
It had podseats and I was standing all day(s) long squeezing the seats between my legs - like riding a dirt bike .
That provides great support for the body while having one hand on the steering wheel and the other permanently on the throttle .
Could not imagine to stand on a boat in rough conditions without anything than steering wheel and throttle only ..
Old 11 February 2019, 15:29   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I agree that some traditional RIB seats can be very bad in rough conditions from a shock perspective, with a lack of proper support or impact absorption, and thus almost force you to stand at certain times, sometimes in an awkward position to still reach wheel/throttle. The modern (expensive!) shock mitigation ones are far far better in that respect, and you can let the seat do the work rather than your knees (or back...).

My current RIB has a 2 person cushioned leaning post at the helm, which I love the idea of to provide some support whilst still standing and using knees to absorb the impact, and the controls are all nicely setup for that posture. But my example needs a bit of shape to provide more lateral support in really rough seas - I've seen far better leaning posts/bolsters out there.

Don't think I'd want to be completely without some sort of supporting structure, but I'm (currently) happy with a seat or bolster rather than a fancy suspension seat.
Old 11 February 2019, 22:01   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
No seats!?... Can't see it catching on

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:13   #7

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Sir will that be with or without seats. Without I am afraid that will be extra
😚
Old 12 February 2019, 08:54   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Ryanair......just saying [emoji1]
Old 12 February 2019, 17:31   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Ryanair......just saying [emoji1]

https://youtu.be/eN9VcCzMSqg
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 18:56   #10

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quite enjoyed that [emoji106] feck [emoji1]
Old 12 February 2019, 20:14   #11

Town: Leicestershire
Boat name: Bathtub
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Honda 150
We used to have a sort of leaning post type seat until one day, in mildly rough conditions while turning, we both nearly fell over the side.

We now have a couple of jockeys and I feel much safer-

No space on the boat? thats never really been an issue... storing it all neatly and in a way that by the end of the day its not all wet or mixed up... now THERE'S the challenge!!!
Old 12 February 2019, 22:36   #12
RIBnet Supporter

It's with some concern that I find myself agreeing with Britain's Greatest Export - jonp, when I confess to having had my helm designed (to my precise personal dimensions) for a standing helm position. That said, I do have a jockey seat to provide some "footing" but my bum remains aloft until I'm supping tea while stopped...
Old 17 February 2019, 08:26   #13

Comments of it not catching on are quite funny as most YouTube videos of ribs being driven in rough conditions are by people standing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP8704.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	128505  
Old 17 February 2019, 12:43   #14

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Comments of it not catching on are quite funny as most YouTube videos of ribs being driven in rough conditions are by people standing.

Looks like one video to me not most
Old 17 February 2019, 13:50   #15

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
There have been a number of Dumb Ass threads on Ribnet over the years...but really??
If you have seats fitted you stand when appropriate....and/or conditions dictate....as MOST if not all Ribbers I've seen DO!!

If you want to sit and/or carry passengers/children in relative comfort AND SAFTEY !...you can fill you're boots and make the most of seating you have.
If you're RIb is not big enough for your needs...go on a diet.... or work harder and get something bigger and better

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:22   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Looks like one video to me not most
Can only post one video at a time, easy enough to look on YouTube and see what I mean.

I work on two comercial dive ribs, one holds 16 passengers the other Niad holds 30 passengers, neither have seating for the master. Both of these boats also lack space once diving gear is onboard. I'm considering cutting a hole in the tubes to store towels

My point was more in regards to driving in rough conditions, not taking infants put on calm days. I've been a member of marine rescue groups for many years, in all this time I've yet to be onboard a boat in extreme conditions where everyone is seated.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:35   #17

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
The video slip shows seating at the back and they are using a booster seat to hold onto : lean on. I致e seen that video before - pretty cool.

I would agree that seating is useful to have for most of us, somewhere to sit safely in the boat while at rest and while conditions are ok, then stand if rough. For me, I tend to stand at the helm in the rough but lean my back against the backrest of the jockey seat. The seat pod itself with legs either side also provides something to clamp onto while standing with my lower legs - gives more security in the boat while driving. I値l always have seats in my boats - plus appeal - convincing my wife to go out on a boat for a whole day with no seats 覧- big no go haha
Old 20 February 2019, 13:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
The video slip shows seating at the back and they are using a booster seat to hold onto : lean on. I致e seen that video before - pretty cool.

I would agree that seating is useful to have for most of us, somewhere to sit safely in the boat while at rest and while conditions are ok, then stand if rough. For me, I tend to stand at the helm in the rough but lean my back against the backrest of the jockey seat. The seat pod itself with legs either side also provides something to clamp onto while standing with my lower legs - gives more security in the boat while driving. I値l always have seats in my boats - plus appeal - convincing my wife to go out on a boat for a whole day with no seats 覧- big no go haha

Marine bean bags are pretty good for family days, which can be tossed up the front when we decide to tackle big fish and need room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP4180.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	128537  
Old 20 February 2019, 14:14   #19

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Marine bean bags are pretty good for family days, which can be tossed up the front when we decide to tackle big fish and need room.

Flip! That fish is huge!

Don稚 bean bags move around during passage, and what do you use instead for storage?
Old 20 February 2019, 16:29   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Boat layout is a very personal thing, what works for one, might not suit others. My first 3 ribs were diving layout, single jockey & open space behind. My current rib has a couple of Ullmans with foot rests. I still find that in the rough I prefer to stand on the foot rests, just for the increased visibility. I have to force myself to sit. I also find that if I do sit down & use the Ullmans as they should, my body thanks me for it, especially my knees & neck.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote