Old 16 July 2003, 22:24   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Seats - which type is best?

On the basis that a RIB is effectively a "4x4" of the water, but with the potential for high performance as well, I would be interested to hear your views on "ideal" seats.

It seems that most "rough water" craft , such as life boats, favour pod seats, but I see that some of the race-bred boats, such as Revenger and Scorpion, seem to go for more conventional seating, or even bolsters.

As my boat (when I eventually order it) will be used for both Channel-hopping and (relatively) high speed "spins" at 50kts+, I would welcome your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you!

Chris.
Old 17 July 2003, 08:25   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
My preference is for the Pod/Jockey seats.

I found these to be more confortably in the rough allowing you to stand or sit as appropriate.

I like the idea of the standup wrap round seat I saw somehwere but way to big for my boat.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2003, 08:30   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Chris
This topic was discussed at great length on another thread some time ago. I think the general consensus was that jockey seats were the best compromise all around. Use the search facility and make up your own mind.
Cheers
Old 18 July 2003, 18:50   #4

Town: Los Angeles
Make: Custom Catamaran
Length: 9
Engine: Twin Merc Optimax 225
I've been pondering the same issue, thinking about getting my first RIB this winter. Over here in the states I haven’t found any for charter, so it's hard to get a real feel for the ride of different sized boats out in the open waters. I've been on a lot of mini-ribs that were dinks to larger power or sail charters, but that was all in flat water.

Locally, Southern California has no protected waterways and everything is quite spread out, so it's a lot of miles in open water to some of the local islands or up the coast. Other than the Ullman seats which some mentioned, (seem a bit expensive and not in production for pleasure craft?), there are a number of companies that advertise suspension seats for flat bottom fishing boats, workboats, and even long haul trucks. I have no idea how to compare a flat bottom bass boat hitting large boat wakes to a deep-V or hysucat running on open ocean swells, but would think it would be a place to start. I haven't heard of anyone who's experimented with any of them. Anyone try any of these? Know of any reviews? Any other products out there? Could/would you put one of these suspensions on a jockey?

http://www.glyde-ryde.com/
http://seatsinc.com/products/mariner/mariner.html
http://www.industrialseats.com/boat-seats.htm
http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/s...e_page_39.html
http://www.bentleysmfg.com/products....ubcategoryID=7

One other question, while we are talking seats and boat layout. In the world or high performance sailboats, the rule it keep the weight out of the ends. One, I'm suprised I haven’t seen more inboards that are located at the CG, instead of the back. Also a local dealer I talked to installs the fuel tank under the rear seats, and often I've seen rib's with the helm all the way at the back. Is that purely for ride comfort, or what are the rules for weight distribution for RIBs? Since most are stuck with the outboard hanging off the back, what does that say about placement of batteries, tankage, and people? Forward for to balance the outboard? Center/CG ? Since I'm contemplating the Stealth Hysucat 8m, I'm a little more concerned about weight distribution than most, perhaps.

Thanks for you indulgence with my novice questions. -- Mark
Old 18 July 2003, 20:17   #5

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Thanks Charles and Martin.

I does look like pod seats would be more appropriate, although I still don't know why most of the "performance" boats use more "conventional" seats, given that these boats should be pounding more than many less exotic boats.

Mark,

Thank you for your comments and the hot-links. I had a look at these, but I think that they are a bit big for the boat I have in mind (7.8 mtr RIBcraft) and the number of seats that I want to have in it.

Regards,

Chris
Old 18 July 2003, 20:25   #6

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Don't quote me on this, but I am guessing the performance boats use full 4 or 5 point harness to hold them in their seats, which mean that they are fairly useless for us types that need to get around the boat. Plus I am also guessing that the pod/jockey seats are cheaper.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote