Town: Oslo
Boat name: Black Magic
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
RIBase
Seats for long expeditions

Hi guys!

I'm planning my next year around arctic Svalbard expedition next summer. The boat is a Osprey Vipermax 680 with Suzuki 250 on the back. As of now I have the original jockey seats, but I'm looking at mitigating seats. My question on is what kind of seats would you use on a to week trip like this? Jockeys are fine but would bucket seats with mitigation be better on this long days?
Old 25 June 2015, 12:18   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had coastal pro shock jockey seats on mine alright for a couple of hours then made my a-s- sore so would sit on the tubes for a while, never tried bucket seats but you still need to use your legs for stability on shock seats so i think buckets would not help but a descent helm seat might be OK where you can spread your legs.talk to Scott seats in the UK the make a wide variety of seating including marine.

cheers jeff
Old 25 June 2015, 12:54   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfly View Post
Hi guys!

I'm planning my next year around arctic Svalbard expedition next summer. The boat is a Osprey Vipermax 680 with Suzuki 250 on the back. As of now I have the original jockey seats, but I'm looking at mitigating seats. My question on is what kind of seats would you use on a to week trip like this? Jockeys are fine but would bucket seats with mitigation be better on this long days?
It depends on your seating configuration, if you have side by side helm seats, you might struggle to find bucket seats that will fit. I have a pair of Ullman Biscayas with side bolster supports & they JUST fit with about 20mm gap between them. The Ullmans are "firm" on the bum & after a couple of hours you need to stand & give your cheeks a rest The upside is they are very kind to your back & legs. As ever it's a compromise, if the seat padding was softer, the shock would be taken by the seat & not the mechanism & you would risk bottoming out, the firmness of the seat squab makes the mechanism do its job. I think in your case you need to find out what will fit & take it from there, rather than deciding on what you want & discovering they won't go.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 13:09   #4

RIBase
It´s a 4 seat configuration 2+2. I think you might be right regarding the space. I´ll ask Osprey. I guess mitigating jockeys might be my only choice...

If there is room for bucket seats, would this be your preference? I have to keep in mind that I have to navigate between drifting ice, so standing is not going to be as good with the bucket seats... I did half of the trip I am planning now on a 17`Polar circle boat with jockeys, and I can still feel it in my bum 4 years later ;-)
Old 25 June 2015, 13:36   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfly View Post
It´s a 4 seat configuration 2+2. I think you might be right regarding the space. I´ll ask Osprey. I guess mitigating jockeys might be my only choice...

If there is room for bucket seats, would this be your preference? I have to keep in mind that I have to navigate between drifting ice, so standing is not going to be as good with the bucket seats... I did half of the trip I am planning now on a 17`Polar circle boat with jockeys, and I can still feel it in my bum 4 years later ;-)
Any sort of Standing ie Navigating through Ice! and Buckets are a no no...OMO where good view and vis is paramount.
I know a lot of the early Lynx racers used Bucket seats...and some of the Osprey Consuls were designed for them....but at lower speeds in rough weather I don't think for most RIBs you can beat the Jocky type arrangement.
I also use Ulmann Biscaya's and Love em .....and (unlike) Pikey don't find them hard on the Backside at all...maybe because I've had them longer...maybe I'm just more of a Hard Ass!
Incidentally I fitted some foot rests to my Ulmann's which not only make for more comfort in some Sea states...but also offer a better view when stood on,because of the extra hieght afforded,which YOU might find handy in the Ice flows!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 13:39   #6

RIBase
Looks like my initial thought was the right one. Now if one you you Ribnet gentlemen would sell me your Ullmans cheap, I can get this project going faster ;-)
Old 25 June 2015, 13:59   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
..maybe because I've had them longer...maybe I'm just more of a Hard Ass!
..or more natural padding
+1 for the footrests, they allow a good view & also offer a different position for your feet.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 05:39   #8

Town: Christchurch
Length: no boat
If you are after something with a bit more of a flat seat area, that still has a jockey pommel for lateral stability, you may be interested in what we are making down under... see info here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f43/suspens...ing-76731.html

Hope you find/have found a good solution!

Cheers,
Dan.
Shark Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 18:38   #9

Boat name: Seatrout express
Make: Zodiac Milpro
Engine: Yamaha 40
Hi!

Going around Svalbard is an epic trip. I did it about 10 years ago. The main target was flyfishing. We had a base in "Polheim" in the Widjeford, and from there I went flyfishing where no man had been flyfishing before (at least it felt like it).

I have a log for the different rivers with artic charr in Widjeforden. Send me a PM if you are interested. Remember C&R.

I`ve attached som pic for you. Flyfishing I'm the Didrikslagune, a shot of the Didrikscabin (the cabin at Polheim is much better), and more.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7117.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	121610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7154.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	121611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7093.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	121612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7599 (1).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	121614  
Old 30 August 2017, 18:52   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brage View Post
Hi!

Going around Svalbard is an epic trip. I did it about 10 years ago. The main target was flyfishing. We had a base in "Polheim" in the Widjeford, and from there I went flyfishing where no man had been flyfishing before (at least it felt like it).

I have a log for the different rivers with artic charr in Widjeforden. Send me a PM if you are interested. Remember C&R.

I`ve attached som pic for you. Flyfishing I'm the Didrikslagune, a shot of the Didrikscabin (the cabin at Polheim is much better), and more.

Cheers
Now...that's a Rib adventure!...One Day!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 20:15   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
In Dag Pike's 'Rib Manual', he highlights that many RIB seats don't offer much lateral support so you tend to use the wheel as a handhold which in his eyes you shouldn't be doing. He is a fan of the wrap round bolster seats that you can sit, or by folding the seat base away, stand.
Old 30 August 2017, 20:16   #12

Boat name: Seatrout express
Make: Zodiac Milpro
Engine: Yamaha 40
Cheers Maximus, it was an adventure off the beaten track! I had another SIB adventure this summer, with my 7 years old son and the FC470. Less polar bears, more arctic fish. Look out for a adventure report on a forum near you.

If you plan a trip be sure to contact the Sysselman regarding permits and more (Governor)

In the mean time, hers some more pics from Svalbard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7076.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	121616   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010121.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	121617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Views:	103