Old 14 November 2011, 17:34   #1

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Seaschool? RIb club? dive club?

Hi,

i am looking to gain experience on a rib as well as my boat so is there a sea school or rib club where you pay so much and you use their ribs? i heard awhile ago there something like this for youngsters only as well. anywhere around the hampshire area

If not what do i need to drive a rib for free at a dive club, as a safety boat, things like that. i have PB2 and i presume i'd need life saving, what else?

i'm really just looking for some cheap ways to get out on a rib!

Many thanks

Nathan
Old 14 November 2011, 18:03   #2

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Local sailing club, they mut be crying out for safety boat crews, especially this time of year, but expect to do more sitting and getting cold rather then driving.
Old 14 November 2011, 18:17   #3

Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Local sailing club, they mut be crying out for safety boat crews, especially this time of year, but expect to do more sitting and getting cold rather then driving.
It's a good 'reason' to get some new musto gear
Old 14 November 2011, 18:26   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
May be worth a call to GAFIRS or other volunteer rescue crews as a volunteer and help out and gain experience.
Old 14 November 2011, 19:42   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Nathan,

At 15 you might find it hard to get RYA clubs to use you for safety boat work. Your RYA PB2 will be endorsed something to the effect of "under adult supervision". You will also find some clubs automatically suspicious of anyone who just turns up wanting to drive powerboats (that may be a sign the club is full of real-WAFIs so an early warning to avoid them!).

You wouldn't normally be expected to have "life saving" (as in Bronze Medallion or whatever it is called these days) to do this sort of stuff, but an RYA First Aid at Sea certificate would add credibility (as would the VHF cert - if you are old enough?). Likewise with the safety boat certificate but I suspect that you need to be 16?

You will however spend a lot of the time pottering, or floating doing nothing. Good for close quarters skill development but you can spend 100s of hrs doing safety boat work in a small area and never develop your longer distance cruising, rough water handling, passage planning skills. It can be terminally boring, and not as much flying about in a rib as you possibly imagine (especially not if you want invited back!).

No idea about dive clubs but would imagine similar principles apply.

There are some "clubs" that share ribs and use them, but ignoring your age which is probably a problem there, I think I can discount them for you on the basis that they are hideously expensive (you could buy a cheap used rib for the annual fee) and will be big engines that cost many £ to refill!

Venturers Rescue is based in Hampshire (New Forest). Its a bit of an odd organisation from what I can see - and you'd need to go and see if you would fit in (they seem to be a "uniformed" organisation so will be quite structured and formal - I've no idea how someone with a bit of experience turning up will go down - but its potentially a very low cost entry route). Welcome to The League of Venturers Search and Rescue web site

GAFIRS who C2 mentions do specifically do "youth work", but it looks like it is canoe/surf lifeguard type work rather than ribs: GAFIRS - Cadets

Junior Ribsters might be of interest but I think they are based in Wales so not exactly handy - Junior RIBsters

Finally I don't know if any of the powerboat schools round your way have any specific programmes for "youth" - I know that at least one of the Scottish ones was running activities centred around the Honda Junior Rib challenge (or whatever it is called) a few years ago.
Old 14 November 2011, 20:43   #6

Thanks for the replys

I am thinking about downsizing and cutting the referb short. i could buy a 6m rib and use it for the trip! i saw a humber 6 meter with a diesel inboard the other day for £14000. hmmm

Anyone want a SeaFox 230 wa with no windscreen?

I welcome anymore advice on getting afloat cheaply

Many thanks

Nathan
Old 14 November 2011, 20:51   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Get your self a Searider 4m for 2 to 3k & use it at weekends for £50 of fuel have loads of fun learn lots, sell it on for what you paid as & when you want

Nick
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 21:26   #8

hmm i like it... Avon Searider 4.0m Boats for sale UK, Avon Used boat sales, Avon Inflatable Boats For Sale Avon rib SR4 with tohatsu 50hp and tr - Apollo Duck

only problem is i'd like something i could use for bigger trips
Old 14 November 2011, 22:35   #9

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Dive clubs normally require a Diver Coxswain. This is someone who is totally in charge of the boat (especially when the divers are underwater)They need to know that the Diver Cox has good control of the boat at slow speed to allow diver pickup. Also the skill to drop a large lead weight down the conning tower of a sunken sub. (Which can be quite difficult)

You would normally require a BSAC Diver Coxswain exam before a club would let you loose on the RIB as a coxswain.

If you joined a club as a diver they may let you drive the RIB out and back from the dive site. And if you proved your self then they may give you more responsibility in time.

Gary
Old 15 November 2011, 07:50   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
I thought you were looking for a challenge! Boats that size have been round the UK. I think Nick's suggestion thought is you get something like that until you build up enough experience to upgrade to a bigger rib when your plans are clearer. The searider will be cheaper to run (and store - given that presumably you can't tow it yourself) and so will be available to use much more often. Also most faults with it will be fixable with some duck tape and a few ten pound notes! But the bigger the boat the more expensive to maintain.
Old 15 November 2011, 08:37   #11

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I thought you were looking for a challenge! Boats that size have been round the UK. I think Nick's suggestion thought is you get something like that until you build up enough experience to upgrade to a bigger rib when your plans are clearer. The searider will be cheaper to run (and store - given that presumably you can't tow it yourself) and so will be available to use much more often. Also most faults with it will be fixable with some duck tape and a few ten pound notes! But the bigger the boat the more expensive to maintain.
Yep spot on Polwart, unless you have lots of money to throw at this, then with something like a 4m with a 40 or 50hp on it, it will be cheap to run in all aspects & will hold its value well! It will cope with anything you want to be out in & you will have so much fun.
I had a great weekend away with my family of five this year with all our kit packed away in our little SR4 for a couple of days

I have just bought a 6m with 115hp on it but will be keeping the SR4 as it is just such fun & would be my choice to go out & play in out of the too!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote