Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 April 2014, 11:21   #1
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
searider weight

anybody got a rough idea of how heavy a searider 4m rig is? I am wondering whether a jimny is legally allowed to tow it on an unbraked trailer?

Henry
__________________

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 11:43   #2
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
SeaRiders Found this with Google, I hope it helps!

Around 160kg is the empty weight, but then you may have to add fuel (at around 0.8kg per litre (say 20kg for 25ltr)). If you Google the weight of most engines you should find them (I'd guess around 100-150kgs for an "average" 50/60 hp engine) and I would guess a trailer for that size boat is around 250kg.

So if we say boat + 25ltr + 125kg engine + trailer = 160 + 20 + 125 + 250 = 555kg as a starter for ten?

I'm sure you can get a better approximation if you know the exact trailer/engine/fuel tank capacity. Or you can do what I (stupidly) did and take it to the weighbridge!

But you can tow up to 750kg on an unbraked trailer, providing it stays below the maximum trailer weight for your Jimny (or maximum Gross Train Weight for Jimny plus trailer).

Hope this helps?
__________________

__________________
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:00   #3
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
SeaRiders Found this with Google, I hope it helps!

Around 160kg is the empty weight, but then you may have to add fuel (at around 0.8kg per litre (say 20kg for 25ltr)). If you Google the weight of most engines you should find them (I'd guess around 100-150kgs for an "average" 50/60 hp engine) and I would guess a trailer for that size boat is around 250kg.

So if we say boat + 25ltr + 125kg engine + trailer = 160 + 20 + 125 + 250 = 555kg as a starter for ten?

I'm sure you can get a better approximation if you know the exact trailer/engine/fuel tank capacity. Or you can do what I (stupidly) did and take it to the weighbridge!

But you can tow up to 750kg on an unbraked trailer, providing it stays below the maximum trailer weight for your Jimny (or maximum Gross Train Weight for Jimny plus trailer).

Hope this helps?
Thanks for the reply.

The Suzuki Jimny can only tow 350kg unbraked so I think it is going to be a no go

Still not sure what car to go for. Its for my first car so need something relatively low on insurance but can beach launch a boat without getting stuck too easy. Off road capability for around the farm would also be nice. I've also looked at the Daihatsu Terios but they dont have very good reviews at all...well neither does the jimny.

Henry
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:05   #4
Member
 
1eyedjim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
125kg for a 50hp is well over spec. my v4 90hp is 155kg and i carry my 40hp on my own so nowhere near that weight. my searider was towed behind a focus and it didnt even know it was on the back. i would have thought a searider was only 350-400kg at most on a trailer
__________________
1eyedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:13   #5
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjim View Post
125kg for a 50hp is well over spec. my v4 90hp is 155kg and i carry my 40hp on my own so nowhere near that weight. my searider was towed behind a focus and it didnt even know it was on the back. i would have thought a searider was only 350-400kg at most on a trailer
The outboard I have is a tohatsu tldi 50hp which weighs 93kg
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:52   #6
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
That works out a bit better. Like I said, it was an approximation as a starter. Not sure about exact weight until actual specs etc are known for the boat, engine & trailer.


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 12:54   #7
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
That works out a bit better. Like I said, it was an approximation as a starter. Not sure about exact weight until actual specs etc are known for the boat, engine & trailer.


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
yeh still think the jimny isn't going to be enough. I am really surprised that a vauxhall corsa has a higher unbraked towing capacity than a jimny!
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 13:40   #8
Member
 
Exe treme's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
Hi Henry
Even with the lower engine weight, you are looking towards 500kg, so it might be worth looking at something else. Have you considered a SWB Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6?
They are a bit thirsty, but reliable and very capable offroad if that is a must have.
Boat 150kg
Engine 93kg
Rigging 30kg
Trailer 200kg
Plus Fuel, Gear etc.
__________________
Happy when wet!
Exe treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 16:22   #9
Member
 
SimonStDavids's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 169
RIBase
I used to tow my searider with my wifes nissan micra. Sounds crap and it was, but it managed to tow it without bother anywhere

Never bothered to check the weight of the setup or the legal towing weight of the car if the truth be told but never had a problem.

Also it has a high ride and went pretty much anywhere (within reason). We keep bees at the other end of a farm and used to bump across farmland in all but the wettest conditions without getting stuck too much. It was old (a hand-me down from her grandfather) ran on fresh air and cost nothing to insure, i am sure you could pick one up for a few hundred quid in good nick
__________________
SimonStDavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 16:47   #10
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
The problem is because I am a first time driver (I am 17 in July) so insurance isn't going to happen on anything above a 1.3L. I am pushing it with a jimmy as it is because even they are quite high on insurance compared to your standard corsa etc.

So I should get away with a jimny for towing the searider? It may be out of the legal tow weight range but I am basically using it as a work horse to tow the bought from the caravan park to the beach which is about 1km away just down the hill.
__________________

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.