Old 28 March 2005, 15:14   #11
Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
Originally Posted by MikeCC
Thanks - that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Seems the one you have is the only size. Unfortunately the hole in the Avon is around 105mm diameter.

mmmm.... If you're very handy - there might be a way you could fabricate something very similar in that size... It's really BIG - almost the size of a CD - or even - domestic sewer pipe... If you go to a DIY/Hardware store - you can buy a bung for closing off a domestic sewer pipe. If you can neatly trim the shoulder off it - then you have the plastic disc part. Now you neet to get the two rubber flaps.... it's pretty easy to get hypalon or PVC from which to cut the thin flap - and I'm pretty sure it's possible to get a price of neoprene from somewhere who makes/sells/repairs wetsuits, etc...

Dunno - seemed like an idea - if you have the time & patience.... Might be something else there in the domestic waste area that I've missed!!!

lc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2005, 04:06   #12
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Although the Poly Marine one is only 68mm dia why not glass in a ply fillet and mount one of these at the bottom of the ply.

Attached Images

Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2005, 05:23   #13
Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Thanks for the various suggestions.

I'm trying to get the best all-round arrangement:
- a dry hull while launching to help with floating off the trailer
- the option to flood the hull at rest if wanted
- quick dumping of water when moving off

I think the Polymarine unit might be a bit restrictive when dumping the hull water. A 105mm hole is 2.5 times the area.

Will try the simple flap idea and see how it goes. As long as outside water pressure is enough to seal even with some water ingress, it should be OK.

I could always lift the flap and put in a bung if required.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote