Old 14 September 2008, 10:55   #1

Town: Chandler's Ford
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porters
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 125
MMSI: 235079591
Sealing underside of deck

Hi all, I’m new to this forum stuff, so here goes…

I have a Humber RIB, which is about 10 years old. One of the previous owners has put an small access hatch into the deck to allow installation of a through hull transducer, which is all fine.

Thanks to this hatch I can now see the underside of the wooden deck beneith the glass top layer, which appears to have been “painted” with resin before being glassed down. Over the years the deck has obviously flexed and the resin has cracked and is now flaking off.

My question is what do people normally seal the underside of the deck with when building RIBs, or is it just left as bare (hopefully) good quality marine ply?
Old 15 September 2008, 15:36   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPirks View Post
Hi all, I’m new to this forum stuff, so here goes…

I have a Humber RIB, which is about 10 years old. One of the previous owners has put an small access hatch into the deck to allow installation of a through hull transducer, which is all fine.

Thanks to this hatch I can now see the underside of the wooden deck beneith the glass top layer, which appears to have been “painted” with resin before being glassed down. Over the years the deck has obviously flexed and the resin has cracked and is now flaking off.

My question is what do people normally seal the underside of the deck with when building RIBs, or is it just left as bare (hopefully) good quality marine ply?
Any wood in our decks is sealed with a layer of fibreglass, and the deck would never flex enough to flake it off, in fact it stiffens the whole structure! So long as any screw holes are sealed properly it should last for a very long time!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote