Old 06 June 2016, 06:58   #1

Length: 7m +
Seafog

Just a reminder, with the weather warming up but the seas very cold sea fog can develop at any time. It can be thick and is rather disorientating when your in it. Yesterday I had a lovely trip to Chapmans Pool, however on leaving I encountered sea fog just off St Aldhelms head which stretched all the way along the coast to Poole my destination, I couldn't see more than a couple of boat lengths all around.

Tip - what made the journey through it less daunting was I had pre programmed some safe way points into my plotter along the Jurassic coast line some time ago, so I simply selected those safe way points and followed the plotter course back. (safe way points meaning from point A to point E didn't go through any headland or other danger as long as I did go through points B,C, and D in specific order) It makes an iffy situation far less iffy or nerve racking and gives you more confidence which then makes your passengers less nervous about it.
Old 06 June 2016, 11:18   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Just a reminder, with the weather warming up but the seas very cold sea fog can develop at any time. It can be thick and is rather disorientating when your in it. Yesterday I had a lovely trip to Chapmans Pool, however on leaving I encountered sea fog just off St Aldhelms head which stretched all the way along the coast to Poole my destination, I couldn't see more than a couple of boat lengths all around.

Tip - what made the journey through it less daunting was I had pre programmed some safe way points into my plotter along the Jurassic coast line some time ago, so I simply selected those safe way points and followed the plotter course back. (safe way points meaning from point A to point E didn't go through any headland or other danger as long as I did go through points B,C, and D in specific order) It makes an iffy situation far less iffy or nerve racking and gives you more confidence which then makes your passengers less nervous about it.

Yep it can be a problem,although I've encountered Fog in the Autumn too....last year on a trip to the Scillies with Chris from Osprey it came down thick a few miles out from Lands End..despite our best efforts ...we very soon lost each other!

I took a compass bearing (and reciprocal) and although alone in the Boat.....with nil vis miles off shore, the senses really come alive....I stopped a few times to listen for shipping with the engine turned off which is always a good idea...and the silence was total... it was great following Sea swell and remains one of my best and most memorable Boating experiences!
Still a very nice feeling seeing St Mary's Harbour appear as if by Magic out of the Mist!
God bless St Garmin!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2016, 12:27   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
.we very soon lost each other
Thats because you were racing which we were still waiting for the results!
Old 06 June 2016, 12:57   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Does anyone on a RIB in fog actually make sound signals every 2 minutes?
Old 06 June 2016, 13:01   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Does anyone on a RIB in fog actually make sound signals every 2 minutes?
I'll admit to a fairly regular involuntary release of gas if there are supertankers in the mix...
Old 06 June 2016, 13:27   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'll admit to a fairly regular involuntary release of gas if there are supertankers in the mix...

Why you mention supertankers😇

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2016, 18:33   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
what made the journey through it less daunting was I had pre programmed some safe way points into my plotter along the Jurassic coast line some time ago, so I simply selected those safe way points and followed the plotter course back. (safe way points meaning from point A to point E didn't go through any headland or other danger as long as I did go through points B,C, and D in specific order)
For areas I am in often, and have the possibility of being caught out in fog or darkness, I have a safe route programmed into the GPS. It's usually plotted to run further offshore than usual (to avoid any nearshore traffic that might be foundering about) and one point is a quarter mile or so from the normal slowing point (In Monterey, it's a quarter mile outside the harbor entrance; on the North Coast it's midline of the entrance to Albion Cove approached from seaward.)

My radio has built-in fog signals, but I have no speaker set up to use it because I can't find placement that doesn't feed back in listen mode.

jky