Old 11 July 2014, 13:49   #31
RIBnet supporter
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
When it comes to buying & selling, nobody will ever be happy. The vendor will always think that he's let it go too cheaply & the buyer will think he's had his leg lifted. That's just human nature, sometimes you gotta kiss a few frogs
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 13:50   #32
Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Force/Mercury 120
MMSI: 235080598
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
simple, just charge 100 for a sea trial refundable against the sale. that covers costs for seller, and any serious buyer would know that 100 is nothing in the grand scheme of boat ownership. also if the buyer doesnt like the boat they should be happy at spending that money as it has prevented them from buying a boat they dont want. losing a deposit leaves a bitter taste with anyone, but this is a cost, so viewed a little differently.

"Life may often suck, but the alternative is unacceptable"
MMSI Sticker

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 14:02   #33
Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
But that's exactly to sort of sea trial this thread isn't about. Some people seem to think that anyone with a boat for sale should give them a go in it.
No disrespect Looey but no pay no play,if they are keen they will give you $ before they even get buy the water, same as a car or moterbike u dnt let them play before they pay, what abt if they smash or damage anything,its like straight off a 125 onto a r1 or 1098 duke its going to end in tears
rocknrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 14:17   #34
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Dunno where JK's post is, but I never said for a second that I wouldn't pay a deposit + costs for a demo! I said I wouldn't commit to buy without a demo/sea trial!

Oh and bikes are different again. I never let any one ride a bike off without the full cash in my hand. I ain't riding pillion with anyone, and I ain't letting some stranger ride off on my bike.
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 14:49   #35
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
I was really serious, and I may be again. I had a weekend available which is now no longer available, cos I'm going to go and play with the boat I've got. When I get back from Ireland mid-August, if it's still for sale then maybe we'll talk "privately".

I suspect though that he probably won't want to talk to me after all this, but I'm really not specifically having a go at Doug here, more at the principle of buying a boat you have no experience of which seems odd to me as a novice boat buyer. Having said that: last time I bought a car there were a lot of salesman who thought that because they'd let me drive them round the block, and I really do mean round the block, not really what I'd call a test drive, that I owed them a sale. So maybe it's me who is out of step.

Given how much time Ribnetters spend waxing lyrical about how important boat setup is, raising the engine a notch, having it set off center, moving the console around, you'd would have thought it would be essential to try it. Rather than just go "well it's an XS innit. They're all he same."
If you think the boat might be for you, fire me over your thoughts/questions about engine size and anything else by email and i will tell you what I can. If it still sounds suitable then let me know when you want to come down and we will find some middle ground. If you tell me what's wrong with your current boat I will do my best to tell you if i think this boat will solve that problem.
web -
email -
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 15:21   #36
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
That sounds like a fair offer and compromise? Hopefully it'll work for you both, and the boat turns out to be the ideal one for you!

Good luck!

There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote