Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Sea Trial???

Is there any one out there who can offer me some quick advise about a sea trial tomorrow??

I am testing BWM 5.1 Meter. (17 Foot?) build 1995 with a 1996 50 HP 4 stroke yamaha on.

WHat should i be looking listining for?

Had a good look around her today. transom appears sound hull looks good with a few surface scratches, Engine looks clean enough.

Thanks in advance guys.
Howard.
Old 23 October 2004, 20:32   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
I'd be listening for:

rattles
bangs
creaks
groans and
hissing noises

I don't know much but I guess it wouldn't hurt to splash some water over the tubes and look out for bubbles to indicate a leak...especially around the seams.

Tim
Old 23 October 2004, 20:38   #3

good point! the amount of rain coming down today should have shown that up too!

Wind stays at south westerly 25 mph should be pretty wet time!
Old 23 October 2004, 20:54   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
I cant say I know a lot either,but if its on a trailer,dont neglect careful inspection of it,rock the wheels from side too side for play in the bearings,if it is towed any distance to the slip,check for heat as soon as the trailer stops,some is ok,if there is a lot of heat,it might be duff bearings or brakes sticking on,check braking cables if any are not corroded solid,check for corrosion on the underside of the beams,tyres are not cracked etc.
On the boat,I would check for water in the anchor locker if there is one before and after the run,look under the engine cowl after a run for fuel leaks,obvious things like ease of steering,engine controls,water telltale.Check the engine runs OK on full load.
Dont neglect the paperwork either,does the seller own the vessel,is it ssr registered,has he any old invoices or service records.
These pointers are what I would check and by no means comprehensive,best idea is to take a knowlegeable friend or even get a survey done.
Old 23 October 2004, 21:03   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I've a BWM Deepsea 17 and a Yam 80hp package.

Things to look for are really obvious ones like, Hull condition are there cracks and chips. Tubes, look all round, looking for previous repairs and general condition.

When I looked at my RIB when purchasing it, I found hairline cracks in the hull around the following places.

1. Longtitudinal cracks from bow, down port side roughly where hull meets the internal deck.

2. Some vertical cracks on starboard side, about 3' from bow, where an internal bulkhead meets the hull.

3. Crack running down an upper spray rail on the rear Port side.

4. A few cracks around the transom area.

5. Cracks between the deck and hull, deck and console and seat pods.

Sounds like a horror story, but in reality these are only stress cracks that are found in lots of older or harder worked boats/RIBs. Take someone experienced with you or pay for a surveyer or local service centre worker to look at it one your behalf if you're unsure, it'll be worth it in the long run.

I've not done a thing with these small hairline cracks but keep an eye on them. I've run the RIB one season and haven't had a problem with it exept the rubbing strake that keep comming unattatched from the bow (faulty workmanship/age).

Sea trialing, if the Sea is choppy or rough tomorrow it'll give you a good guide as to her handling in these conditions. Open her up and head into an oncomming sea, the lower bow has a tendancy to go through waves than over them as my RIB rides very flat at all trim levels, I have lots of up front weight with the console and 105litre fuel tank mounted under deck.

In calmer conditions she gives me unparralelled performance and have acheived some 45mph (GPS/fishfinder) from and 80hp, 2 up with full tanks and an auxillary on the back.

Tell me more about the RIB your going to see, and post a pic tomorrow if you can.

A good solid RIB, rough weather handling a little wet and slow, but not unsafe, fast in calmer conditions and will really please. I think a 50hp a little underpowered, but look for good tell tail water pressure and try to start from cold. Also look for hydraulic seal leaks around Tilt and trim area leg/prop damage. Otherwise a very bullit proof motor, ask for service reciepts/history. Better engine options could be 80-115hp Ideal and have even heard of 130 and 150hp ones in Deepsea 18's

Hope this helps a little,

Andy

Where are you going for the Sea trial?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DSC00042.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	8874   Click image for larger version

Name:	1DSC00052.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	8875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kohaku 013.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	8876  
Old 23 October 2004, 21:23   #6

Thanks guys,
I was hoping someone would say something like this.

Had a reall good sniff around today. its been owned and used as a safety boat. one owner from new and has all receipts for engine service and even the original paperwork from BWM. SSR register card too.

i do have a pic but as its not my boat its a bit rude !

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F45903/

Hull loks pretty good although it has been antifouled which could hide cracks. transom looks sound with no repairs and tubes have no patches

Trailer had new bearings in March and hasnt seen the water since!

its got 2 x 25 ltr tanks under the console up front. and as for the engine, i though underpowered but i will wait to see tomorrow. he tells me hes had 6 people and still plaining without too much problem???
Old 23 October 2004, 21:40   #7

Saw this advert when I was in Brasil Zippy and I don't think its rude at all to post it! Is the sea trial local to me (Fareham) if so could come down and offer a second set of eye's for you.

Andy
Old 23 October 2004, 21:46   #8

Its down in Lymington im afriad. means i have to drive through Lyndhurst twice in as many days!

im interested about your seating layout. as a dive boat this one has a load of space behind the console which could be better used.
Old 23 October 2004, 21:53   #9

Up front console layout just like mine, but a double jockey by the looks, bit of a hard ride for the helmsman!!. If you buy it I might be able to point you in the direction of a manufacurer of consoles/seat pods over on the IOW. A bench seat option would be good as you'll improve your storage capacity as well.
Old 23 October 2004, 21:59   #10

My thinking also. Theres no where to put anything! fuel tanks under the centre console and an open deck!

double jockey as you say but only if your "comfortable" with the crew!
Old 24 October 2004, 18:15   #11

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
So how did it go ?
Old 24 October 2004, 20:29   #12

Well...

Was blowing quite hard in Lymington today. (would say good 5 maybe 6). very easy to launch and recover (seeings as i have never done this before).

For a small boat i was expecting it to be wet (Which it was) but handled very well. crashed through the waves when going head on but was good and stable going across the swell and with it coming from behind. Engine seemed sweet if a little slow to pickup. definatly got it up on the plane very early without problems and im no lightweight!

No untorward creaks, shakes, bumps or thimps. I think trying it in these conditions was ok as it should give me the confidence if the weather was to blow up when i am out.

Long and short of it is. small boat, choppy Solent waters = wet time. but big 's

hope to pick it up Tesday.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. greatly apreciated and who knows, maybe ill get to see some of you for a drink sometime soon.

Cheers.
Howard.
Old 24 October 2004, 20:40   #13

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
[QUOTE=Zippy]

Thanks to everyone for all your input. greatly apreciated and who knows, maybe ill get to see some of you for a drink sometime soon.

second Monday of the Month South/Solent/Nashers mob drink keep any eye here for details. Well done with the boat hope to see you out there some time.