Old 19 February 2013, 18:41   #21
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Agree with Poly's comments. I think our next step is to hire an instructor for a half day and go through some of these things on the boat. That should cover the areas we were missing from RYA sea survival, and with no 'certification' syllabus to follow we can get just what we need.
Old 20 February 2013, 12:29   #22
Trade member

Town: Southampton, Solent
Boat name: Yoda, Obi Wan
Make: XS 600 & 700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 115 & 200hp o/b
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormforce
Hi Tim,

I'm so glad you and the family had a great day! It's really good to see your positive comments on here, and I'm pleased we were able to sort out a suitable deal.

As you have correctly said, it would be impossible to tailor a course completely to every individual attending (without going into bespoke training, which you're looking into anyway) so I'm sure that whilst there will have been some irrelevant bits for you, Candi will have covered many things you, but maybe not others in the room, found beneficial.

So, to answer Poly's comments; yes, we do recognise that there is a difference between sailors heading off around the world, and powerboaters heading for day trips in the Solent, and the broad nature of our course content reflects that, as well as allowing people to not have to repeat training as their boating interests change.

One of the benefits of attending a day with so many people of different backgrounds in the room is that you get a chance to mix with other water users, and chat about their outlook and experiences. It sounds like you really picked up on this as a benefit too.

Your picture of the Flare session is great, and I thought I'd come on here to say that if you 'Like' us on Facebook, and add the picture to our page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sto...ng/13770283547) you stand a chance of winning a free one day course in our monthly competition! The same applies to any other Rib.Net members who are customers of ours.

We hope to see you on the water soon!

Hannah, Marketing & PR Co-Ordinator
Stormforce Coaching
Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2013, 14:21   #23

Length: 7m +
I did my sea survival training in St Thomas Virgin Islands many many years ago, the jumping in the pool with a life jacket on was a tad severe as they had us jumping from about 30 foot from a diving board. That was necessary as we were working on cruise liners hence we had a whole safety training programme to do, doubt they would allow jumping from a diving board nowadays due to health and safety.

From looking at peoples repsonses there are a number of interested people, perhaps if a trainer hand crafted a suitable days training you might get more people to sign up and reduce the cost.