Old 03 July 2005, 12:15   #11

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Interesting from the point of view of a liferaft. I have one as my boat is chartered sometimes at the time i really figured this was over the top, however reading this i think having a liferaft is spot on e.g we have somewhere to go and keep warm. Mine as many others is SOLAS B but i have packed extra bits into a grab bag (E.G VHF).

Mine is carried on the deck and has a hydrostatic fuse that goes off at one meter (approx) so unless the boat sinks, i would think on a rib because of the tubes (if you have flipped it)that would not be the case. It can also quick release

So, you hit something and the boat sinks, the fuse goes off and there she is ready

If you flip then a quick release and pull the painter and there she is ready

I also took care to position

Old 03 July 2005, 19:57   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
Interesting from the point of view of a liferaft. I have one as my boat is chartered sometimes at the time i really figured this was over the top, however reading this i think having a liferaft is spot on e.g we have somewhere to go and keep warm. Mine as many others is SOLAS B but i have packed extra bits into a grab bag (E.G VHF).

Mine is carried on the deck and has a hydrostatic fuse that goes off at one meter (approx) so unless the boat sinks, i would think on a rib because of the tubes (if you have flipped it)that would not be the case. It can also quick release

So, you hit something and the boat sinks, the fuse goes off and there she is ready

If you flip then a quick release and pull the painter and there she is ready

I also took care to position

How exactly would it work upside down???

Old 04 July 2005, 04:07   #13

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
if it upside down the boat then quick release and the liferaft will float until inflated, then inflate
Old 04 July 2005, 04:35   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
About the only thing that can happen to a RIB is a capsize - how would you then launch the liferaft???
PLEASE consider the fact there are other reasons for needing a life raft and give up on the devils advocate stuff........... a rib turning over is not the only reason for needing safety equipment, just ask Alan Priddy and his crew. I know of someone who suffered from delamination of the hull, and tubes or not if all you have is a round blow up tube and you're in the middle of the channel I wold prefer to be in a liferaft. What about fire?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2005, 05:39   #15

It is indeed a very sad story and I feel very sorry for the the family that has to live with it for the rest of there lives but I also think its impossible to think of and cover every scenario some times there is just bad luck and if you had every bit of safety kit on the market thinks can still go wrong.