Old 02 July 2005, 20:52   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Sea claims 2 more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4645099.stm

"A grandfather and his nine-year-old grandson have died in a sea angling accident off the north Wales coast.
They were thrown into the water when the family's 14-ft dinghy capsized off Puffin Island, Anglesey, and had severe hypothermia before they were found."

They were ALL wearing lifejackets!!!

Who would think extreme cold in the middle of summer???

The father and 12 year old brother survived - just imagine the guilt and feelings the poor people will have to live with - doesn't bear thinking about. Just hope they won't be subjected to a witch hunt.

Don't know how long they were in the water - probably even if they had flares and maybe vhf they would have been lost when the boat flipped.

Apparently force 6 with 1.5m waves - probably marginal conditions for a 14ft hard dinghy but then again they may have been in a sheltered bay or something.

thoughts most definitely with the poor family!!!
Old 02 July 2005, 22:25   #2

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
sad
Old 03 July 2005, 07:28   #3

Town: The sunny IOW
Boat name: Jakoby
Make: Flatacraft
Length: 6m +
Hind sight is always 20 20...

Summer or not the sea tempreture around the British Isles is still pretty cold.

Bodies lose heat at an enormous rate in water far faster than in still air, and the cold debilitates - any one tried fastening zips or other fine manual tasks with cold fingers??

It also impares the brain - so perhaps you don't think so quickly.. Kiddies have larger surface areas for heir weight and so lose heat more quickly and the elderly have problems, for various reasons maintaing heat too...

Very sad, but these things happen in or rather out of boats. You weigh up the risk etc and then proceed with what you feel is safe - generally, no one deliberately puts themselves in danger. If others learn from things like this, then perhaps more will be safe.

I am sure, however, in many cases it is "there but for the grace of God" it hasn't.... I for one probably wouldn't have worn a dry/flotation/survival suit in the summer despite knowing the sea is still bloody cold for prolonged immersion.

Condolences to the family..

Pookay.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:42   #4

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
thoughts most definitely with the poor family!!!
Hear hear

Very sad story

missus
Old 03 July 2005, 07:55   #5

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Very, very sad, but this takes me back to thoughts on whether or not I should have a life raft. The liferafts are so cheap now £400 or so for a valise I guess you would be forever scarred if something happened and you had chosen not to get one. Even a half mile from shore with a child on board and something drastic happens, hit a submerged object e.t.c. you don't have much time to get organised, a lesson for us all to review our safety proceedures I reckon, just in case.
Old 03 July 2005, 12:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Very, very sad, but this takes me back to thoughts on whether or not I should have a life raft. The liferafts are so cheap now £400 or so for a valise I guess you would be forever scarred if something happened and you had chosen not to get one. Even a half mile from shore with a child on board and something drastic happens, hit a submerged object e.t.c. you don't have much time to get organised, a lesson for us all to review our safety proceedures I reckon, just in case.
About the only thing that can happen to a RIB is a capsize - how would you then launch the liferaft???
Old 03 July 2005, 13:48   #7

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Not to up on the world of liferafts, but shurely it would have a hydrostatic release, and therefore would launch itself.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2005, 14:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
Not to up on the world of liferafts, but shurely it would have a hydrostatic release, and therefore would launch itself.
If it did it would be trapped under the boat!!!

Read the safety report I posted somewhere about the RIB capsize carrying 12 pax - makes interesting reading.
Old 03 July 2005, 14:58   #9

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Is this the inncident which happened yesterday afternoon, we were listing to radio transmissions from RAF Valley and Holyhead Coastguard, in our Lifeboat station yesterday afternoon, in Dun Laoghaire, on channel 0.We had 3 launches within maybe an hour, as the Welsh inncident unfolded, and Howth Lifeboat put to sea also around 3-4 pm it all kicked off.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2005, 15:35   #10

Seems like they were in the water 3 hrs - just goes to show you need flares and vhf in your pockets NOT just somewhere on the boat!!!
Old 03 July 2005, 16:15   #11

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Interesting from the point of view of a liferaft. I have one as my boat is chartered sometimes at the time i really figured this was over the top, however reading this i think having a liferaft is spot on e.g we have somewhere to go and keep warm. Mine as many others is SOLAS B but i have packed extra bits into a grab bag (E.G VHF).

Mine is carried on the deck and has a hydrostatic fuse that goes off at one meter (approx) so unless the boat sinks, i would think on a rib because of the tubes (if you have flipped it)that would not be the case. It can also quick release

So, you hit something and the boat sinks, the fuse goes off and there she is ready

If you flip then a quick release and pull the painter and there she is ready

I also took care to position
Old 03 July 2005, 23:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
Interesting from the point of view of a liferaft. I have one as my boat is chartered sometimes at the time i really figured this was over the top, however reading this i think having a liferaft is spot on e.g we have somewhere to go and keep warm. Mine as many others is SOLAS B but i have packed extra bits into a grab bag (E.G VHF).

Mine is carried on the deck and has a hydrostatic fuse that goes off at one meter (approx) so unless the boat sinks, i would think on a rib because of the tubes (if you have flipped it)that would not be the case. It can also quick release

So, you hit something and the boat sinks, the fuse goes off and there she is ready

If you flip then a quick release and pull the painter and there she is ready

I also took care to position

How exactly would it work upside down???
Old 04 July 2005, 08:07   #13

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
if it upside down the boat then quick release and the liferaft will float until inflated, then inflate
Old 04 July 2005, 08:35   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
About the only thing that can happen to a RIB is a capsize - how would you then launch the liferaft???
PLEASE consider the fact there are other reasons for needing a life raft and give up on the devils advocate stuff........... a rib turning over is not the only reason for needing safety equipment, just ask Alan Priddy and his crew. I know of someone who suffered from delamination of the hull, and tubes or not if all you have is a round blow up tube and you're in the middle of the channel I wold prefer to be in a liferaft. What about fire?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2005, 09:39   #15

It is indeed a very sad story and I feel very sorry for the the family that has to live with it for the rest of there lives but I also think its impossible to think of and cover every scenario some times there is just bad luck and if you had every bit of safety kit on the market thinks can still go wrong.