Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
sea anchors

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Sea Anchors? I never carried one with my old boat but now I only have one engine, (and still no backup yet), I think a sea anchor would be a good idea. (Just to keep my nose into the weather while I wait for rescue!)

They seem to come in 4 sizes, (probably more, but from the mail order catalogue I have there's 4). They are…..

65 x 75 cm
125 x 125 cm
135 x 142 cm
and
190 x 145 cm

Whilst I'm sure bigger is better, does anyone have any practical experience at what size will work OK for a ton or so of boat?
(Humber Ocean Pro 6.3 with Mercruiser 1.7 Tdi)

Thanks,

Mike C
Old 03 March 2003, 09:46   #2

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Sea Anchor

Mike

I carry 2 sea anchors but have so far not had to use them, I think they are a good piece of safety equipment to carry.

Julian
Old 03 March 2003, 12:11   #3

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Mike

Do a search there was a post a few months ago about sea anchors, or it may have been under para anchors.

Regards Gary
Old 03 March 2003, 13:00   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Mike

I think you need the 65x75 mm.
I have the same size sea anchor on my boat (7mtr Falcon about 900 kgs weight with full gear onboard and 4 people). That size was recommended to me by the retailer after looking at his chart.
The bigger the better does not apply here I don't think.
The diameter of the sea anchor is related to the weight of the boat. There is a chart that shows what size anchor you use for weight of a boat and length of rope depending boat length.
However, to be on the safe side why don't you ask the chandler shop to tell you??
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2003, 20:11   #5

Thanks Manos,

I'll look at the other threads and try the chandlery... but they are a yachty one so may not know about their use on RIBs. I just thought someone might have a suggestion re size!

Mike C
Old 03 March 2003, 20:16   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
If you need to deploy it in rough weather, make sure it's fastened to something before you pull it out of the bag. or it might blow away !
Old 04 March 2003, 08:17   #7

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
On a side line
Some where I have a photo of Tiger sitting inside his sea anchor like a little tent.
I wonder how long before he calls me asking not to post
Jelly
Old 07 March 2003, 01:04   #8

Town: torpoint
Make: var
Length: 4-6m
Engine: 40-115 ob
Sea Anchors

Have demonstrated their use on PB courses and used 8 ft dia parachute. slowed drift to 0.2 of a knot in about 20 knots of wind whilst accompanying boat drifted off at 1.9k. not a real test but illuminating.

Consider attaching to bow eye not over bow tube which would hold down bow - poss under breaking wave!!!! ( but then you have problem of adjusting - to suit wave length (the tension will be extreme!)

need to experiment with recovery technique. As you motor forward, chute may sink and you end up with a vertical lift!!! Big boats attach fender on floating line to parachute (15 -20 metres)in an arc and recover collapsed chute via fender.

fender obtained on ebay for about 15 two years ago. fwiw

RogerC
Old 07 March 2003, 11:44   #9

Town: Cheltenham
Mine has a piont on the tail for a tripping line which makes recovery much easier.

Tiger
Old 07 March 2003, 12:24   #10

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Tiger

I think that all the sea anchors have that cleat thing at the end for tripping (mine has it too).

Or am I worng??
Old 07 March 2003, 12:36   #11

Town: Cheltenham
I admit I could be wrong, it is only designed for thin string, so must be for a tripping line
Old 07 March 2003, 13:19   #12

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
I had an engine failure in my 24' Zodiac Hurricane in deep water about 600 miles south of Hawaii, and used a sea anchor overnight while I got some sleep. Seas were about 15' with a 20-25 knot wind, and only a slight current.

I used a 9' Para Tech sea anchor with a 15' length of chain mid catenary (a great help) and trip line with float for recovery. It's the only time I've deployed one except for testing, so I had (and have) very limited experience and am certainly not an authority.

I found it deployed easily over the side and "caught" and as soon as some pressure was taken on the line, immediately bringing the bow into the weather. I payed out the line about 200' and tied it off. It felt exactly like dropping anchor, and held out position with minimal drift. The angle of the anchor rode is more horizontal than when using ground takle, so burying the bow was not a problem.

Recovery was a bit tricky because it was impossible to haul in the line, which essentially means pulling the boat toward the sea anchor against the prevailing weather. It's handled just as if you were anchored to the bottom, powering forward while simultaneously taking in the line so it doesn't foul the prop. It took a while, and I wouldn't like to do it often in heavier weather or without a trip line, but I was able to bring it in without complications.

This web site has good information on the subject http://www.seaanchor.com/.
Old 07 March 2003, 18:52   #13

Oh Dear!

I thought a cheap sea anchor would be an easy option to putting an auxiliary O/B on the boat. Seems sea Anchors are a science too.

Thanks for the thoughts.......

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Mike C
Old 07 March 2003, 20:06   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
...I could be wrong, ........
I think that you are right!!
Never said that you were wrong I was just saying that all the sea anchors have this short of eye thing for tripping them. That's all
Old 08 March 2003, 07:23   #15

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: AYSEN
Make: DELTA
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 100 hp
Mike C,

Though I belive there is a science to sea anchors, I think the problem is that the information on the pack is rather limited. Mine detailed yachts and motor cruisers size so I estimated my need on a RIB.

A larger problem is that you don't go out in bad weather to test such equipment normally. When I have tried the wether was not very bad, it worked, but I don't have full confidence in the way it was set and the control of the snatch.

Hopefully it will be sorted soon

Tiger