Old 01 May 2012, 18:53   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Scotland Campsites with Marina?

Hey folks,

had a great weekend away with the mrs last summer at Loch tay, good calm water which got her confidence up at the helm.... even if she did nearly kill me by popping it into reverse instead of neutral and turning round to take a photo of me in the ringo without realising she was on her way towards cutting my legs off.....

What other lochs have a good campsite with its own marina? Will do loch tay again if necessary but thought a change would be nice. I imagine Loch Lomond is a pain in the tits and far too busy at the slipways etc?

Cheers

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2012, 19:24   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Caravan and camping club site on loch lomond is fine
Loch long Arrochar
North Ledaig Oban
All good places but beware of the dreaded midge
Old 01 May 2012, 19:42   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Hey folks,

had a great weekend away with the mrs last summer at Loch tay, good calm water which got her confidence up at the helm.... even if she did nearly kill me by popping it into reverse instead of neutral and turning round to take a photo of me in the ringo without realising she was on her way towards cutting my legs off.....

What other lochs have a good campsite with its own marina? Will do loch tay again if necessary but thought a change would be nice. I imagine Loch Lomond is a pain in the tits and far too busy at the slipways etc?

Cheers

Si
Are you looking for a proper camp site? Loch lomond has a couple with their own slipways; the slips never seem particularly busy to me. The one past Balmaha on the Rowardenen road was fine when we used it (personally I hate camp sites so I can't say it was amazing - but it fulfilled the purpose). The site at Ardlui looks nice too - and would enable you to keep the boat afloat during your stay.

Tayvallich on Loch Sween (or Carsaig Bay a mile over the hill on the Sound of Jura), are personal favourites and well equipped for boating and with caravan sites which I think both take tents. Jambo can probably confirm. Castle Sween can probably do likewise although I've only passed on the water.

One man (or woman)'s perfect campsite though is another's bare field with no facilities or overpopulated holiday camp, so probably best to define what you want. Likewise "marina" to me means ability to keep the boat afloat throughout your stay - but is a slipway OK, do you want it on-site or just close by etc?
Old 01 May 2012, 19:46   #4

Cheers lads,

I am only looking to go away for a weekend with the mrs, and 2 friends. Basically looking for somewhere i can rock up on the Friday, launch the boat and keep it in the water until the sunday morning. Not overly concerned about facilities, as long as there is somewhere to eat, and showers! fairly easily pleased. Also the loch has to be a decent size and allow water sports. Do you have to register your boat for loch lomond even if its just for a wknd?

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 01 May 2012, 20:05   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We used to camp & launch at Ganavan at Oban. The campsite has gone but it looks like you can still launch there off the old flying boat slip. Oban's a cracking place offering good facilities & easy access to good boating areas. You could leave the boat at Dunstaffnage (?) which also has good facilities.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2012, 20:10   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave
We used to camp & launch at Ganavan at Oban. The campsite has gone but it looks like you can still launch there off the old flying boat slip. Oban's a cracking place offering good facilities & easy access to good boating areas.
Dont know if its the same site Dave but Oban divers used to have a good campsite on there land many years ago
Just a couple of miles out from the town ,, don't know if they are still there.
Old 01 May 2012, 20:28   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Dont know if its the same site Dave but Oban divers used to have a good campsite on there land many years ago
Just a couple of miles out from the town ,, don't know if they are still there.
Could, be. Was it Puffin divers at Laggan? iirc.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2012, 20:45   #8

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Well seeing as Polwart mentioned my name I may as well come on board! I have a static at tayvallich and its where I keep my rib. The area is great for all things, a quick blast, watersports and exploring the nooks & crannies at your leisure. There are two caravan sites but only Leachive at Tay takes campers it has full toilet and wash block with power to pitch if you wish they also have these new wooden Igloos which are great saves the bother of pitching a tent. Village has good pub and coffee shop and village shop. It is what you make it and as Pol says you can take your sib over the road a mile to Carsaig and you are on the Sound of Jura. You can leave your sib on a slip mooring from the beach if you find a gap without cost and the slip is free, but the potooon costs for over night.
Hope this helps
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2012, 21:07   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Do you have to register your boat for loch lomond even if its just for a wknd?
i
Yes. But you can do it by post in advance (its technically free - but you need to buy the numbers to put on the side etc - but its not expensive); otherwise you can do it on the day at the Balloch Slipway. But places to keep it afloat and camp are somewhat limited. Ardlui is the only one that I am sure about. There is a caravan park about 2/3rd of the way up the west side with a harbour, but I don't think they take tents. Cameron House Marina don't take tents as far as I know. The camp sites on the East shore don't have marinas - but some people launch and anchor the boat off the shore for a weekend.
Old 01 May 2012, 21:58   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave
Long time since i was up that way ,
Just had a look on google earth it is or was just south of Oban on the Gallanach road there's a small ferry runs to Kerrera nearby ,it was then inland a bit ,building and a few caravans look to be still there,
the dive centre was owned by a guy in a wheelchair David Tye ,think he got the bends whilst salvaging the prop from the Breda wreck in the mid 1980s he and his family had log cabins ,kit drying rooms or bring your own tent . You could also walk into Oban on a back road .
Old 01 May 2012, 22:03   #11

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow

Long time since i was up that way ,
Just had a look on google earth it is or was just south of Oban on the Gallanach road there's a small ferry runs to Kerrera nearby ,
the dive centre was owned by a guy in a wheelchair David Tye ,think he got the bends whilst salvaging the prop from the Breda wreck but in the mid 1980s he had log cabins ,kit drying rooms or bring your own tent . You could walk into Oban in about 15mins if it's still there.
It's still there the campsite is just past the dive centre up the hill don't know who owns it though
Old 01 May 2012, 22:33   #12

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Oban Divers campsite is now called Roseview Campsite. Fantastic place very peaceful.

Roseview Caravan Park and Campsite Oban Argyll Scotland

I don't know if the Tyes still own it or indeed if Dave is still around (hope so) I haven't seen him in about 10 years, really nice guy.

Another site on the coast is Oban Caravan and Campsite
http://www.obancaravanpark.com/

I've stayed at both and both are good. Oban Divers has a special place in my heart .

With both of these you may be able to hire a mooring at Puffin Divers for your trip.

Puffin Dive Centre - Scuba Diving, Commercial Diver Training

Or at Dunstaffnage Marina
Dunstaffnage Marina Oban

Failling that you could launch at the Port Beg slipway (free) next to the RNLI station in Oban.
Old 03 May 2012, 14:29   #13

cheers guys,

shall commence research... roll on the summer
Old 03 May 2012, 16:43   #14

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
There's a camp site at Lunga Pier on the Craignish peninsula, just south of Craobh Marina. Stunning views, small scale, basic facilities. Five minutes walk round the bay to Craobh Marina. For the camp site contact Colin Lindsay-MacDougall of Lunga. 01852500 531. He does SC cottages too.