Old 02 February 2009, 11:49   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Agree there's more than enough to see round that area. Other option is if you are heading down the Kintyre peninsula, you have a choice as to which side to launch as well - lots of places to see on the Clyde side as well, and gives you options if the wind gets up to go for a relatively sheltered cruise (selling point to persuade those who must be obeyed ) - just bear in mind at the bottom end of Bute it can get quite lumpy at the worng state of the tide on a windy day.

If you don't get permission to "go to sea", one to watch is Loch Earn. They'll allow you to launch & use a "speedboat", but be prepared for a sharp intake of breath - as it's a conservation area (or somethig like that) launch / recover fees for anything up to 50Hp - £10. Above 50Hp - £25!!!! Which wouldn't be so bad if you had a lot of water to play with, but even at a leisurly 16 Knots it only took 15 mins to do the whole length of it! If you have a sib with a "small" engine it's quite good - launch at the Lochearnhead end, potter down to Fallin, and there's a hotel by the water does a good bar lunch.
Old 02 February 2009, 12:04   #22
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
This is top info lads. Now trying to see if we can do 2 weeks. Bloody love Scotland. Although myself and my parents are English born, our tree goes back into Scotland. The Lyndsy clan, so have always felt an effection to the place.
I am a plastic Scot
Old 02 February 2009, 17:12   #23

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Well, I'm going to stick up for my bit of the coast. Do try Loch Craignish. Unlike the others, which can be a bit boring after a day of two, L. Craignish is full of islands and small bays you can anchor in and explore ashore. It's usually very sheltered. Crinan is close too. Good slipway at Ardfern Yacht Centre. There is a 'locals' slip too, which is very good but there's no parking to speak of, so the Yacht Centre's probably your best bet.

If there's any breeze at all, midges are not a big problem down by the shore, but if they are, 6pm to 8pm is the worst time. Of course, I may be immune by now.

The picture's taken looking more or less south from the hill above the village hall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Craignish3.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	40293  
Old 02 February 2009, 17:38   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
... midges are not a big problem ..... Of course, I may be immune by now.
You'd be the first!!

Old 02 February 2009, 20:11   #25

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Where is the cottage on Mull? If it is on the Sound then you have access to plenty of sheltered cruising areas without "going to sea" except in the strictest sense of the word
The areas mentioned above are also interesting but they can be fairly tidal and have significant races once you poke your head out the loch depending on how far you would want to go out....
Old 02 February 2009, 22:16   #26

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You'd be the first!!

Well... I do recall smothering myself with anti midge stuff in order to get a decent night's sleep on those days when the nights were so hot all the windows had to be open. (or maybe that was just a dream.)

I wasn't about to tell prospective visitors that though .

It is true there are normally few of the little beggars by the shore - perhaps because there's usually an onshore force 6. ....... Aw! Who am I trying to kid? Well... er, £ notes - no, I mean tourists.

Seriously though. As some will know I spend nights sleeping aboard my RIB under my 'luxurious bespoke boat tent' and even though I anchor very close inshore, I've never been bothered by midges while aboard.