Old 04 February 2007, 09:16   #11
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Searider / War Shot
Make: Avon / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yam / 150hp opt

The 6.5m is a pretty good seaboat I reckon.

Longer is almost always better with regard to pitch motion - but you pay handsomely for length when buying a boat! A £20k plus 7.5m will be better than a £15k 6.5m, and better than my £6k 5.4m. The record breaking boats are 9.5m / 10m and £100k plus

As stated the very fine bow is great going upwind.

I would have to disagree with DJL that there is a lack of buoyancy at the bow - unless he is talking about a tapered tube boat of which I have no experience.

The only thing I find you have to look out for is the bow hooking when going down wind at an angle to the sea - if you let it fly too high it can catch you out when landing.

I don't think I would want any other 6.5m except perhaps a Ribcraft or a Searider.

Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2007, 11:30   #12
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've oftened wondered what a Scorpion based hardboat would be like.
Phantom 28s aren't a world away in terms of hull shape, neither is a Formula... just not quite as warped and slightly more forefoot.

Duncan - sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the 6.5 isn't a good boat - it is, but with a caveat - it needs to be fitted out with care as it's sensitive to weight distribution. From what I've seen of yours, it's well set up as it appears to ride very well. The 6.5 seeems to need the console placed a little more foreward.

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2007, 11:40   #13
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I will admit I don't have a huge amount of experience with Scorpions in rough weather. I've probably driven 4/5 over the past few years, 2 fairly regularly.

As I said in moderate seas, i.e. when you can keep the boat planning at a reasonable speed, I think the ride is very good.

When the waves get to a size where your driving each wave, I think the hull profile at the bow lets it down (it’s not the tubes). The bows also seem to be more affected by wind during slow speed manoeuvres, again I suspect due to the bow profile.
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2007, 16:45   #14
Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Very simply, Yes. If you want to discuss further feel free to call.

We also supply our boats to Scorpion for demo purposes if you are interested in a demo give them a call.

scm is offline   Reply With Quote