Old 01 October 2007, 11:24   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
scorpion helming

Just purchased a 2nd hand 7.5 scorpion with single outboard! Had 1st trip out in a messy solent yesterday! I found the boat less intuitive to drive in rough than i expected and wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom of these fine boats! Couple of points i noted was that it didnt seem to like beam seas much and it twisted its arse when it came right out the green stuff despite landing well.... also poor low speed manovering too and it reated to the wind alot more than i expected it to...

Otherwise Very comfy boat great at slicing through the wave. In comparison to my previous yankee boat ive increased my average cruising speed by atleast 15 knots!!

just those jockey seats i got to get used to now!

ps it aint got trim tabs and they seem to be standard kit on most scorps! shall i buy some?

thanks

GT
Old 01 October 2007, 18:13   #2

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
I do have trimtabs on the Scorpion 7.5 and I don't recall the problems you experienced.
Old 01 October 2007, 18:52   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Evening,

i found it difficult moving from a 6 meter coastline to a 7.5 scorpion.

firstly there was a lot more power which took some getting used to. particually when in rough weather. i have fount it easier to keep the boat level in big seas by using the torque from the prop to the advantage.

initially i found when trimmed in it would ride hard on the port chine. remedy for this i have found is to trim out a little and be a bit more active with the steering when coming off the tops of waves.

slow speed the nose tends to wonder a little but i dont think any more than most ribs i have had or driven.

i have found practice makes perfect (or better than i was) and it really it a joy to practice!!

you got any pictures??
Old 01 October 2007, 19:42   #4

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
I came back from Poole yesterday (to Southampton).

The sea could have been more comfortable but we still did over 30kts most of the time, with a burst of 44kts as we approached the Shingles.

Perhaps not the best day to try out a new boat?

Regards,

Chris.
Old 02 October 2007, 16:48   #5

u not the bright yellow one are you?? if so you looked good going past calshot!! Mines another yellow one now out and about. My average speed from calshot to just by lymington was 35.6 kts so she was running well none the less! Slower on way back as had a pasenger! do you scorp guys use tabs for healing or to control the nose more. Cheers gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray View Post
I came back from Poole yesterday (to Southampton).

The sea could have been more comfortable but we still did over 30kts most of the time, with a burst of 44kts as we approached the Shingles.

Perhaps not the best day to try out a new boat?

Regards,

Chris.
Old 02 October 2007, 17:28   #6

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Hi Gt and congrats on becoming a Scorpion owner!
I use the tabs mainly for keeping the nose down in tricky conditions. They really do the trick.
Are you going to post some pix?
Tony
Old 03 October 2007, 17:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi Gt and congrats on becoming a Scorpion owner!
I use the tabs mainly for keeping the nose down in tricky conditions. They really do the trick.
Are you going to post some pix?
Tony
will do very soon....
Old 03 October 2007, 17:38   #8

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Perhaps I am missing something here. Why would you need trim tabs on that size RIB? The only reason I can think of is to try and keep it level in a cross wind/sea. Check your engine set up first. Is the "full in trim " stop bar set correctly? IMHO they are a waste of money and add additional complication.
Maybe some of the problems are " driver error" For example: if you are in a beam sea you probably need to "tack" your course.
Old 03 October 2007, 18:16   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I tend to agree - I have bought trim tabs for mine but they haven't been fitted yet. Don't really find a need for them - maybe his engine isn't offset like mine?

As to poor handling at low speed in windy conditions I think that's true of all RIBs. A bloke I know who has a 1920s sailing barge reckons it's much easier to manoeuvre than a RIB - and he has no bowthruster and it's single screw.
Old 03 October 2007, 18:23   #10

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Ive found times in every boat when I couldn't keep the bow down quite enough when trying to push on a bit into a head sea. Trim tabs would of been nice and if they wern't so expensive we might have them on ours.
H
Old 03 October 2007, 19:33   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I didn't have trim tabs on Blue Ice & Richard B hasn't fitted them either since he's had her. (7.5m Scorp). I can't say that I ever found any real problem with leaning into the wind that couldn't be corrected by trimming in or out or rearranging the crew seating. The 7.5M Scorp works well trimmed quite a way out out in most sea states, particularly when going 'downhill' in a following sea. She does need trimming in when punching into a head sea like most boats.

30ktsish is a good most sea state cruising speed. Any slower and she doesn't 'fly' so well. She will go a lot faster capably but 30-35kts feels like a comfortable cruising speed you can keep up for an extended period without banging the crap out of yourself and spending a fortune on fuel.

As with any boat, time and experience will enable you to get the most out of her. Beam seas or large washes are uncomfortable, perhaps because the tubes are a long way out of the water compared to other ribs. (my previous rib was a BWM DS21 where the tubes are still kissing the water when on the plane. Stable, but not so efficient!) A Scorp is a world of difference from a DS21 believe me!

Slow speed handling should be as good as any other similarly sized RIB. Certainly more susceptable to being blown around than a hard boat. Particularly if its an older model with the more bulbous bow toobs!

Anyway, I had the good fortune to relive the glory days on the solent recently during a flying visit. Happy days!

Old 04 October 2007, 11:30   #12

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Having driven Blue Ice across the Solent to Cowes from Lymington last year (during Ribex), I found that it does "nod" quite a bit - is this usual with this hull or was it because I had her "trimmed for speed?" I have noticed it in Richards videos quite a bit as well, so I know it isn't just me!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2007, 12:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Perhaps I am missing something here. Why would you need trim tabs on that size RIB? The only reason I can think of is to try and keep it level in a cross wind/sea.

Agreed! and im sure quite a justifiable reason to most people. IMHO The deeper the v or more warped the shape of the hull the more angle they have to lean onto(such as a scorpion) a dory dont lean much does it?!?. I found in general it could be steered out but tabs seem a almost standard thing on scorps with one particular bennett model even being aliased "the jelley tab". I presume in some instances especially the i/b boats it could be to help with planning times.

It was impossible to move the crew around in this circumstnace as there was none and im not sure who would have driven if i sat in the aft seat.

Looking back on it i think the sideways lean was accentuated in my mind for me as im not used to the whole open boat scenario and really dont like high set jockey seats...

Cheers
Old 04 October 2007, 12:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Having driven Blue Ice across the Solent to Cowes from Lymington last year (during Ribex), I found that it does "nod" quite a bit - is this usual with this hull or was it because I had her "trimmed for speed?" I have noticed it in Richards videos quite a bit as well, so I know it isn't just me!
Is a nod as good as a wink???
Old 04 October 2007, 13:46   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Having driven Blue Ice across the Solent to Cowes from Lymington last year (during Ribex), I found that it does "nod" quite a bit - is this usual with this hull?
I've noticed it several times. I think it's just part of the Scorpion's hull characteristics!

John
Old 04 October 2007, 14:13   #16

Whats the difference between nodding and porpoising???
Old 04 October 2007, 15:19   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Technically they're probably the same thing but to different degrees.

"Porpoising" is usually used to describe a problem, but the Scorpion "nodding" doesn't appear to be significant enough to bother anyone.

John
Old 04 October 2007, 17:22   #18

Town: Breda
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
When I purchased my Scorpion the tabs were allready fitted. It took me a while to get used to the boat, the motor trim and the tabs.
Now, after allmost three years, I use the tabs all the time. She drives beautifully in all types of waters.
"Nodding" occurs at times and I easily get rid of it by using the trimtabs.
At slow speed, say 10 km/hr, I put the tabs all the way down and she goes in one straight line. Even with no hands on the stearing wheel.
Old 04 October 2007, 20:29   #19

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Scorpion trim tabs

I have a 7.5 metre Scorpion and I use the tabs all the time to ensure the boat is upright and we also have a single engine. For trim we move the motor. Oddly, I find the slow speed handling better than I had expected. I find the long and relatively narrow hull steers quite well at slow speeds - even when gliding along with the engine in neutral. I personally wouldn't consider one without trim tabs as I think all narrow ribs will heel one way or another due to engine torque, passenger weight or a crosswind. Gavin
Old 05 October 2007, 08:53   #20

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Why do some of you persist in referring to these boats as "Scorps"?

The correct name is Scorpion.

I don't see other Ribs being called Avs, Sols, Osps, Parks, Zods or Bananas.