Old 27 November 2006, 07:38   #11
Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Single vs. Double

I've got a 4.7 Searider with a single 50 Johnson. I chuckled at the "drop the hook await that mate" comment. Here, more than 100 yards offshore the bottom is 6000 feet away.

Old Joke:

Guy gets nervous at sea state and location out of sight of land: "Captain, how far from land are we?" Captain replies, "Oh, about two miles." "But Captain, I can't even see land, how could it be two miles away?" Captain looks at him and says, "Two miles away, straight down."

Many fishermen around here who are regularly out in it are running twins. The occurance of guys floating to the West for two weeks or more is too frequent. I'm stuck with a single on my Avon and even with Handheld, flares, gps and water bottles I tend not to do some things I would with twins. Of course, if they both share a common fuel supply and that goes bad, so much for reduncancy. I guess even with a common tank, twin filter/separators would probably place the risk very low.

All that said....I'm pining for a 5.58 Ribcraft with twin four strokes!

Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2006, 07:48   #12
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You have to go a very long way off most of the British Isles to find deep water. Scotland and the West of Ireland are exceptions. From the Bristol Channel you have to go out about 350 miles to find really deep water. That's what makes it so dangerous around here - 3000 miles of Atlantic rollers being forced into a shallow funnel....

Tenerife is a very popular destination for British holidaymakers - I wonder how many of them who go out on boat trips there realise they are suddenly in 10,000 feet of water?

When we used to live by the Red Sea there was one location where the reef dropped off from 12' to 6000' - it was an amazing feeling swimming over the edge - felt like going over the side of a cliff.

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2006, 16:47   #13
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp
Originally Posted by howe View Post
We have a Scorpion 7.5 with a 225 Optimax which... top speed with half a tank is 55mph.
I reckon there might be couple more mph's to be had from your rig
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2006, 18:06   #14
Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Top speed

thanks, I should try to run with less fuel. It is quite low in the rev range so assume that there may be a bit more. I have seen some very high claimed speeds but assume they must be going downhill or something. Gavin

howe is offline   Reply With Quote