Old 10 August 2010, 21:13   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Scilly Isles Holiday

Hi all,

I know many of you have been to the Scilly Isles and some of you probably live there. I'm off on a long weekend holiday there with the family the first weekend in October and was wondering if anyone had any tips on things to do rib related. I have found these guys:

http://www.scillyonline.co.uk/seasafaris/index.html

Plan to do a trip or too, maybe some snorkelling, maybe some fishing. Weather permitting of course. Has anyone been out with these guys? Are they the only rib charter/trip company?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 10 August 2010, 22:11   #2
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
That would be Mark and Suzie.

Yes they are the only company that do this on the island. We have been out with them each time we go over, well worth it. Mark has lived on the island for many years and knows a lot about the Scilly's.
Old 11 August 2010, 07:39   #3

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Mark and Suzie are lovely people. They also have a camera built into the hull of Firebrand and another they can drop over the side to pin point things on the parge screen at the front of the boat.

Ian
Old 05 October 2010, 19:07   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
So 6 of us went out with Mark and Suzie on Firebrand and had the boat to ourselves. It was a fantastic trip and well worth the very reasonable price we paid for the whole boat for 2.5 hours. The driving was sensible and comfortable and their knowledge of all things Scilly was great. Although, having said that, Suzie told us the seals never pull themselves up onto the beaches, only onto the rocks. 2 minutes later we spot 50 or so seals all up on the beach, which apparently is very unusual, especially for this time of the year. We were then treated by dozen of seals popping their heads up all around us, as close as 3m away.

All in all, a great trip and thoroughly recommended.
Old 06 May 2011, 13:57   #5

Town: Devon
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: 90
Scilly trip Royal Wedding Weekend

I went to Isles of Scilly from Penzance on my Robcraft 5.3 on Royal Wedding day, good trip E2-3 2 hours to St Marys. Intention was to stay full weekend following the Gig World Championships. Howver due to weather deteriorating ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13264276 ) we returned the following day E6 on the nose. Doubled the fuel consumtion to 2L/nM, crew seasick (not a problem but he forgot to lift his Gecko visor first) Yuk. Fabulous 6 dolphins doing their stuff surfing rib bow wave off Lamorna.
All in all a pretty memorable trip.
Old 07 May 2011, 11:03   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Stone View Post
I went to Isles of Scilly from Penzance on my Robcraft 5.3 on Royal Wedding day, good trip E2-3 2 hours to St Marys. Intention was to stay full weekend following the Gig World Championships. Howver due to weather deteriorating ( BBC News - Hundreds stranded in Isles of Scilly by high winds ) we returned the following day E6 on the nose. Doubled the fuel consumtion to 2L/nM, crew seasick (not a problem but he forgot to lift his Gecko visor first) Yuk. Fabulous 6 dolphins doing their stuff surfing rib bow wave off Lamorna.
All in all a pretty memorable trip.
Sounds like a good trip! E6 sounds fun.I know it Certainly up's the fuel consumption when it cuts up,ask Matt h off there at the end of the month if you fancey another outing!
Plenty to SEE and DO over there,with Island hopping and Wildlife spotting,History, up there with the Fishing,and of course contributeing to the local Victulars!Hope you get fine weather,it CAN be stunning later in the year.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 12:38   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Stone View Post
We had a kid on the crossing that had to 'Heave to' in Mounts Bay. I was stood on the quayside when they attempted to come 'longside. The prob. was a howling Easterly which was gusting 10 by then and holding her off and low water which gave no room for margin. All of this added to it being her busiest day in the year, amounted to chaos. The initial approach would've been OK if the shore staff had gotton a stern line on a bit sharper. They faffed about getting two bow lines on and lost the stern. The bow has a massive bow thruster, the stern doesn't. They eventually got a single stern line on, but she was at such an accute angle and the wind was holding her off with such strength, they were nervous to winch on the stern warp for fear of it parting.
After 15 mins of anxiety, the skipper instucted the shore staff to drop all lines, she backed out at 'full astern' and hung around in the lee of St. Micheal's Mount and head to sea for three hours, waiting for enough water to get into Albert Pier, which offered protection from the Easterly.