Old 31 December 2015, 20:28   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: No boat
Length: no boat
Scillies trip

Hi newbie here will be going over to the scillies for the gig rowing champs went last year and had a good time, was thinking of taking the rib this year, just wondered any fellow ribs over there, what's the moorings like and if any regulars have any advice or tips for the joinery
Old 01 January 2016, 00:44   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post
Hi newbie here will be going over to the scillies for the gig rowing champs went last year and had a good time, was thinking of taking the rib this year, just wondered any fellow ribs over there, what's the moorings like and if any regulars have any advice or tips for the joinery

Yeah, stick to simple joints before you attempt any thing like a hidden dovetail. Get a good jig & keep your router bits sharp👍
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2016, 03:17   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yeah, stick to simple joints before you attempt any thing like a hidden dovetail. Get a good jig & keep your router bits sharp��
I take it you'd recommend a "planing craft" then Pikey?

Be nice tomorrow (when you've dried out) and welcome the newbie
Old 01 January 2016, 08:31   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
You 'orrible bunch of pi$$ takers.

We make this trip quite regularly out of Falmouth.

My first piece of advice would be, avoid the 'World' gig champs like the plague!
Old 01 January 2016, 09:14   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Good morning and welcome.

What rib will you be taking? There seems to be nothing in your profile of what size, engine etc - always worth filling the specs in

It's a fair trip at 35 (ish)nm (Penzance) with some interesting tides to be aware of and a separation lane - that I think you may need to use, when I last sailed over we did. Where are you thinking of jumping from? Penzance is closest, Falmouth is simple, Plymouth is easy but adds another 50nm to the trip.

There are plenty of moorings and anchorages, not sure if you have to pre book them. We didn't and could always find an anchorage. However we were sleeping on board and the place does get really busy. Are you going over with a team and staying with them, if not you really need to get on and book somewhere as some teams have block bookings that take over everything that is free. The good news is you are there with a rib. There is more than one island and if you're not with a team then the rib allows easy options to leave the crowds behind and jump to another island?

What ever you plan to do early booking will be key and I'd drop the harbour master an email and see what he needs from a rib during the period.

Are you taking all your kit or sending it on the big boat? If taking thing about dry bags, stowage, space on board, fuel and people. If there are four of you that'll really fill the boat if you don't pack lightly and stow well.

All in all a great trip that I'm looking forward to making in a year or two when the daughter goes - she rows

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2016, 17:32   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Be nice tomorrow (when you've dried out) and welcome the newbie

Aye! Sorry about that, I thought it was funny at the time😎

Welcome to Ribnet Luke, I hope you can cedar funny side & not think I'm a complete beech.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2016, 17:42   #7

All in good heart, yea sorry should of given more info, the rib is on a build thread on here my friend matt856 and myself have been doing for last year or so, I think the boat should b more than capable, I've also completed my offshore yachtmaster (commercially endorsed) I'm based in Bridport Dorset so may even go from there and have a few stops, hopefully load her up with all the supplies and have a blast
Old 01 January 2016, 17:55   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
It's a nice run and truly lovely destination,when the weather is suitable.
Not sure about Gig Race Time...although we had a very "interesting" visit a couple of years ago when all the Girls teams met up for an end of season Pxxs up!...loads of Amazonian types all doin thier best to Drink the Isalnds Dry and out shock each other!!
Topless "Rib Hikers"were a new one to me!

The South Coast jump off/recovery is A lot less demanding!
Penzance is easy and launch most states...although parking is a bit of a hassle...and best to notify in advance...
As said there are plenty of Moorings once there although a Tender is really Handy!...especially for the smaller Islands.On a our last trip this year (a week in Sept) our group hired a Tender from the Boat yard on Bryher for just a few quid... Good option which means you don't have to carry one across
St Martins has Pontoons which make life easy...all states except dead low on Big Springs.
The Harbour Master for Tresco mooring hire (and Bryher ) is called Henry and can be contacted on 07778 601237.
Schooners Hotel/B&B is a good option and cheap for a stay on St Martins...(rare combo on the Scillies!!)
Tresco and Bhryer both good for Camping...St Agness nice pub and grub.
Take it easy navigating between the Islands keeping a keen eye on you Depth Guage/Plotter and you'll be fine.
Plenty of good Vids on the Scillies on the Forum which may well worth a look.
Have a good one,and post some pics!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2016, 18:32   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I did Poole to Newlyn/Penzance by RIB last year (not quite Scilly) - I did it in 2 days because of the weather (because I was single handing and it's quite tiring driving in RIB in fairly tough conditions!). A very straightforward passage along the South Coast, just watch out for wind/tide conditions around some of the headlands. My little write up and video here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/poole-p...log-64381.html .

Have sailed to Scilly a couple of times, most recently over 3 weeks in July 2015, and spent 8 days exploring the islands. I would definitely take (or hire) a tender for the smaller islands, unless one of you particularly likes swimming in! Moorings available in New Grimbsy Sound (Bryher/Tresco), Old Grimbsy Sound (Tresco), St. Martins, and St Mary's Pool/Porth Cressa (St. Mary's), and possibly a few more I forget. Personally I hate St Mary's Pool, tends to be fairly unprotected in the prevailing conditions, and not much space between the cans, although that is on a 45' sailing yacht. You could anchor it and dry out on Green Bay on Bryher if you don't mind doing that - we do it with the sailing yacht and it's about the most protected spot there is in Scilly. Campsites on Bryher, Tresco, St Agnes, St. Martins and St Mary's, all seem pretty good when I've walked through them. St. Agnes campsite probably my favourite, as it's right on the beach at Troytown Farm (which also does amazing ice cream and homemade food). On a sailing boat admittedly, but here is this year's little video of Scilly:
Old 01 January 2016, 18:50   #10

Great stuff that's the sort of info I was looking for
Old 01 January 2016, 18:55   #11

Quote:
Great stuff that's the sort of info I was looking for
What Boat you got getting or going in?

Old 01 January 2016, 19:24   #12

A pac22 converted to outboard there's a build thread on here about it Matt856 has been uploading it as we go
Old 01 January 2016, 19:45   #13

Quote:
A pac22 converted to outboard there's a build thread on here about it Matt856 has been uploading it as we go
Nice One...
I'll take a look.

Old 02 January 2016, 21:17   #14

Town: Bridport
Boat name: Pic
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Mat856