Old 04 August 2014, 20:02   #21

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
I hesitate to offer any more comment on this because we're collectively in danger of laying before the watching world a detailed 'How to Scam' guide.
Old 04 August 2014, 20:26   #22

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
I hesitate to offer any more comment on this because we're collectively in danger of laying before the watching world a detailed 'How to Scam' guide.
true there
but i just dont understand this one most are obvious but appart from the price that seams cheap for the boat i just dont get it

how long has the op been waiting - did they pay ?
how was it paid ?
and what part is a con ?

i have done and still do a fair bit of ebaying and never been conned some have tried but they stand out a mile ?
Old 04 August 2014, 20:35   #23

Length: 4m +
After various correspondence between me and the seller, I paid him a deposit into an account that he said was in Inverness. We then drove upto Inverness to collect on Sunday. After 3 hours of driving around the area where the address is that I was given, and asking all the neighbours who had never heard of the seller, we gave up and came home.

I then called into the local police station this morning and they told me from the sort code that the account was in Swindon! Hence the scam! Very clever and sadly I fell for it. The police and banks involved are looking into it so time will tell!

I'm just pleased I didn't pay the full amount!!
Old 04 August 2014, 20:50   #24

Length: 3m +
I've never bought anything that expensive on fleabay. the most I've done is about £1k. I usually offer not to pay the whole amount by paypal to avoid them having fees, but to let them know I'm serious to make a deposit to their paypal account - a depsit would never need to be more than £100 in my view. If I don't turn up to collect I loose £100. Enough to make sure I'm serious, not enough to excite the vendor. Paid via PP to give me protection.

The most common scam seems to be centred around a boat(or other high cost item) that was owned by a husband now deceased, divorced or whatever. That means the wife can only answer easy questions like is it orange! She has moved away to be with the dying grandmother so the boat is not with her, she can't show you it and its usually in an inconvenient place (like Inverness) so it would be hard for most people to go there and see it. As soon as you say you have a man in Inverness who can have a look for you the conversation will come to an end!

However, she can make your life easy. She will get the boat brought to you after you pay her. You have X days to review it and if you aren't 100% satisfied [the imaginary men who brought the imaginary boat] will take it away for full refund. Seems to big up the PayPal Buyer Protection. Not quite sure how they scam round the PP part...?

Once you know this any boat listed the first question you have should be "Can I view it, or can i get a friend who lives near xyz to view it" No cash changes hands till the boat is seen.

Even then there are some on here with horror stories of being sold someone elses boat only to get a knock on the door later from Mr Policeman asking why you towed someone elses boat away...
Old 04 August 2014, 20:58   #25

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sorry to hear this sunnybrae. I sincerely hope you get your money back.

It's getting to the point that anything we see on private for sale sites has to be treated with a degree of scepticism as to whether the item even exists. Genuine sellers will go out of their way to furnish buyers with as much information as possible. I think you just develop a nose for it. This isn't meant to rub salt into your wounds, rather to warn other potential buyers down the line. There were 12 other bidders on this Ebay item in addition to you.

Quote:
'Most reliable Honda 130 4 stroke engine'
The Honda 130 is a lardy lump at 225kg, and could be as old as 1998 to 2004. Often makes an appearance (on Ribtec 655 Camel Trophy ribs) when they come up for sale from time to time. Superseded by BF135 in 2005.

Quote:
'The engine is as new with little use'
Whatever. It could have done 2,500-3,000 hours. Only the newer fuel injected BF90, 135, 150, etc, can be checked to confirm exact running hours from ECU to Honda diagnostic kit.

Quote:
'This RIB has been maintained by us throughout'
Sounds like direct 'cut and paste' from dealer ad.

Even if the boat exists, then before handing over cash, whether a deposit or in full, I'd want to see some sort of history... that's pictures, receipts, marine kit, and lots of it. Check the current owners car even has a towbar.

Use Google street view to check out postcode areas before travelling, and get landline number, not just mobile contact number.
Old 04 August 2014, 21:02   #26

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Caveat Emptor, indeed.

Having said that, I did actually pay a £1k deposit on a boat I hadn't seen (and couldn't collect for three weeks) but it was being sold via RIBnet by a RIBnet member with hundred's of posts on here and we did have a lengthy telephone conversation first, generating a number of independently verifiable pieces of info substantiating much of what he told me on the phone.

At the end of the day, I figured he actually had more to lose than I did so was happy to proceed.
Old 04 August 2014, 21:08   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I think you'll find the original seller here:-

RIB BOAT 6.5M Nautilus With Honda 130Hp 4 Stroke Outboard Engine (with trailer) | eBay

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2014, 21:14   #28

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybrae View Post
After various correspondence between me and the seller, I paid him a deposit into an account that he said was in Inverness. We then drove upto Inverness to collect on Sunday. After 3 hours of driving around the area where the address is that I was given, and asking all the neighbours who had never heard of the seller, we gave up and came home.

I then called into the local police station this morning and they told me from the sort code that the account was in Swindon! Hence the scam! Very clever and sadly I fell for it. The police and banks involved are looking into it so time will tell!

I'm just pleased I didn't pay the full amount!!
If the bank, not the police can't help you are probably going to have to chalk this one up to a learning experience. I am bummed for you Hopefully you will soon be showing us photos of your RIB.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and please don't let it get you down. There is lots of great advice on how to not let it happen again, even if you find another one on Ebay. Use Paypal and cash on pickup with legal documents signed and ID showed from the seller. The ID part is important as suggested above someone could sell someone else's boat. I even snapped a photo of the seller, but did it by saying could you pose next to the "vehicle" for my memories. Most auctions are legit, and typically the fake ones are easy to spot. Not so much with this one though.

FWIW I have bought multiple vehicles from ebay and hundreds of items. Even had to fly half way across the USA to pick a Willys up, and drove it the two days back to home. He met us at the airport. I had spoken to him on the phone before bidding though, which built my confidence. We recently bought our Prius C with 6,000 miles on it for a great price, and found it on Ebay. Transaction was a pain due to loans on the sellers part, but it all worked out in the end, and communication was excellent.
Old 04 August 2014, 21:28   #29

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Sh1te happens... its only money ... as long as you have got your health and your family is okay nothing else matters. Stay positive
Old 04 August 2014, 22:00   #30

ime assuming the seler has nil feed back then or a newly opened account to wing it through
Old 04 August 2014, 23:20   #31
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Engine: 55HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've never bought anything that expensive on fleabay. the most I've done is about £1k. I usually offer not to pay the whole amount by paypal to avoid them having fees, but to let them know I'm serious to make a deposit to their paypal account - a depsit would never need to be more than £100 in my view. If I don't turn up to collect I loose £100. Enough to make sure I'm serious, not enough to excite the vendor. Paid via PP to give me protection.

The most common scam seems to be centred around a boat(or other high cost item) that was owned by a husband now deceased, divorced or whatever. That means the wife can only answer easy questions like is it orange! She has moved away to be with the dying grandmother so the boat is not with her, she can't show you it and its usually in an inconvenient place (like Inverness) so it would be hard for most people to go there and see it. As soon as you say you have a man in Inverness who can have a look for you the conversation will come to an end!

However, she can make your life easy. She will get the boat brought to you after you pay her. You have X days to review it and if you aren't 100% satisfied [the imaginary men who brought the imaginary boat] will take it away for full refund. Seems to big up the PayPal Buyer Protection. Not quite sure how they scam round the PP part...?

Once you know this any boat listed the first question you have should be "Can I view it, or can i get a friend who lives near xyz to view it" No cash changes hands till the boat is seen.

Even then there are some on here with horror stories of being sold someone elses boat only to get a knock on the door later from Mr Policeman asking why you towed someone elses boat away...
Yup, has this happen several times when i was looking, boat always seemed good value when i googled make, model and year.

I exchanged e-mails with most of them then as soon as i asked if i could come and see it, they went silent.

Finally bought my SR4 off here and it was even better than the seller had specified.
Old 04 August 2014, 23:32   #32

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
See the same seller has just listed an "attractive" buy again... John Deere compact tractor... John Deere Compact 3036 Tractor | eBay
Old 04 August 2014, 23:42   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
See the same seller has just listed an "attractive" buy again... John Deere compact tractor... John Deere Compact 3036 Tractor | eBay
registerd ebayer since 2005 ? weird one for a scammer
although the ad is worded as if it was cut from a usa sales leaflet
Old 05 August 2014, 00:01   #34

these people on ebay use hacked accounts, they look for accounts that have had little/no activity and target it, normally through a form of social engineering and perseverance.

google hacked ebay account and see for yourself.

anyways, i do hope you get your money back but i wouldn't hold out hope for it.

cheers
Old 05 August 2014, 00:02   #35

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Everyone click the "report item" link just above the item number.
Select "Listing practices" then "fraudulent item".
If ebay get enought independent complaints they will remove the item.
Lets make this Scumbags life difficult.
Old 05 August 2014, 00:15   #36

i have already reported it but he will have another 50 names to login with is the reality of the matter i'd think :-(

ebay can fix this by deleting accounts not used in X days. whether it be bids or login attempts but the sad fact is they say they care but it all counts as hits for them to push up their advertising revenue, scam or not.

maybe one day our stupid EU law makers will force companies like ebay to delete accounts after X days if no bids or something along those lines.

cheers
Old 05 August 2014, 06:03   #37

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Another scam that's ended, this time for a golf buggy.
Golf Buggy Club Car Petrol Model | eBay
Old 05 August 2014, 06:24   #38

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Really sorry you were had, I can't imagine him getting away with it if he is the UK.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would transfer £1k to someone they don't know for a boat they've not seen, sorry to be harsh but if something is too good to be try then is probably is. Many people on here who have advertised boats for sale have had their ads re posted by scammers and those that haven't have sat and wondered what was wrong with theirs!

Hope you get your money back, I lost a £40 payapl payment 8 years ago, not the money but the fact I was had still really irritates me.
Old 05 August 2014, 08:34   #39

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Even when you do your homework you can still get caught !!

That terwat Dan Cooper had £1600 of my money for 6 months before I got it back. He was on eBay Apollo Duck big website all the talk and still trading now under various guises ........

I think this forum does a lot to help avoid the scammers and one of the best bits of advice is to suggest somebody will come & inspect the item. That usually ends the conversation if it's not legit. Frustrating how the sites seem so disinterested in policing their adverts.
Old 05 August 2014, 09:02   #40

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
. I am bummed for you ........
No greater love hath any man......... That's some sacrifice Pete

Seriously, I have a personal £100 ebay limit on any single item from a single seller at any one time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote