Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 February 2010, 20:03   #1

Town: Cornwall
Length: 5m +
Save the Cornish HMCG Volunteer RIBs

The MCA are currently running a consultation re the HMCG RIBS currently stationed at Torpoint, Cornwall and Hope Cove in Devon. The suspicion is that this is the precursor to getting rid of these valuable resources.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/swp_con...ion_letter.pdf

You may recall some publicity in the press a while back when the crew at Hope Cove disregarded an MCA instruction not to use their RIB owing to a Health & Safety concern in respect of the vessel to go out and rescue persons in difficulties nearby. Their actions whilst widely supported by the local population came in for critism from the MCA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...choolgirl.html

There is also a petition on the 10 Downing St web site to save the RIBS.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Coastguardboats/

There will be a Public Consultation meeting hosted by the MCA to discuss the proposed withdrawal of the Rescue Boat on Monday 8th March 1930hrs at the Sherwell Centre, University of Plymouth.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...d+Kingdom&z=16

If you believe like I do that this important public service resource should be retained then please add your views to the consultation. There is an e-mail link on the consultation letter (see first link). Consider signing the petition and if you can attend the meeting in Plymouth if you're nearby. Perhaps even add your views to the thread.

Am I involved with the MCA or C.G. No I'm not despite my user name. But I do frequent the areas they cover both professionally and for liesure. Do we need them? My experience is that we undoubtedly do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAMAR C.G. RIB.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	49419  
Old 26 February 2010, 20:08   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
I see that Cornwall has annexed Hope Cove.

Kernow Kernewek!
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 20:22   #3

Well done for spotting the take over bid. Unfortunately no prize.
Old 26 February 2010, 20:33   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Either there is a need for a rescue boat in the area or there isn't. The MCA should be well placed to assess that as they'll know how many times the boat responds to incidents etc. They've invited public comment (but actually that will be based on local gut feel).

If there is a need for a rescue boat - the second question is then if a CG boat is the best way of supplying the required resource. The pattern elsewhere in the UK seems to be that this is not the most effective solution, and either an independent declared facility or an RNLI one would possibly be better. Given the apparent local support for a rescue boat - I assume there will be no problem either finding volunteers for the boat or funding if such a facility is required.
Old 27 February 2010, 06:15   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Local feeling is apparently pretty high about this.

Incidentally, I wonder who'll be buying the lifeboat house if they close it down? It'll be a rather expensive bit of property...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 07:58   #6

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Either there is a need for a rescue boat in the area or there isn't. The MCA should be well placed to assess that as they'll know how many times the boat responds to incidents etc. They've invited public comment (but actually that will be based on local gut feel).

If there is a need for a rescue boat - the second question is then if a CG boat is the best way of supplying the required resource. The pattern elsewhere in the UK seems to be that this is not the most effective solution, and either an independent declared facility or an RNLI one would possibly be better. Given the apparent local support for a rescue boat - I assume there will be no problem either finding volunteers for the boat or funding if such a facility is required.
It isn't as simple as that - Hope Cope is local to us, and I know a couple of the crew and the locals all want the boat to stay but it is very political and very little to do with whether a boat is needed or not!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 15:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

Just noticed that this subject has already been raised. See;

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34165

This thread gives details of the work undertaken by the Tamar C.G. RIB. It's use/purpose goes beyond rescue work. In fact it is not a primary resue resource although despite this it does carry out many rescues often being in the right place at the right time.

It's a bit like a Bobby on the beat, or a CCTV camera. How do you quantify it's preventative value?

The cost of the Tamar RIB to the taxpayer was the subject of a question in Parliament and it was £648 in 2007 & £1390 in 2008. When you consider what they claim in expences and how much is wasted in back offices it seems to be a bargain. If it's a question of savings then it shouldn't be a cut at the sharp end.

Nevertheless I respect the views of others and there are usually always alternative views. I just hope that the consultation will genuinely listen to all the views and that the MCA has not already made up it's mind.