Old 25 November 2008, 02:49   #81

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Noice?

I wear headset/earplugs from my cellphone/radio and listen to the radio when ribbing without passengers. Its a lot of background wind noice when speeding, and I must have the volume on my cell far to high to hear the radio. I tried Geckos, but they create a lot of wind noice itselves. Is the facemask a better option if I want less wind noice?

Thanks

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2008, 06:36   #82
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Posty just delivered mine. Tried it on and my 17 month old son cried his eyes out. Hope it works when he's 16
Have to admit I had visions of the SUM being a flimsy and cheap plastic but this is a quality item. Very robust feel to it and very comfortable. Looks cool as well, even if it does look like your off to do a bank job. Tried it on with a ski mask (terrorist style) and it works a treat with that too for very cold days. Looking forward to giving it a try out on the blue.

Cheers for this John, great stuff
Quote:
I wear headset/earplugs from my cellphone/radio and listen to the radio when ribbing without passengers. Its a lot of background wind noice when speeding, and I must have the volume on my cell far to high to hear the radio. I tried Geckos, but they create a lot of wind noice itselves. Is the facemask a better option if I want less wind noice?

Thanks
Roy,
having not tried it I can't really help but from the look of the way the mask is shaped I'd say it would divert the flow of the wind OK. I expect the wind noise from the gecko is when the air enters the front of the lid? Your not going to get that with a SUM but at least with the Gecko your ears are covered.
I'm sure someone who has used there's allot will be able to tell you more.

Old 26 November 2008, 07:11   #83
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
I haven't tried a SUM and a Gecko back to back to compare noise levels, but I would guess that the SUM would be quieter.

Best bet is to buy one and see how you get on. If you don't like it just send it back and I'll give you a refund.

John
Old 01 December 2008, 16:44   #84

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Diesel
SavePhace Sports Utility Masks are fine in fair weather but i would go for the gecko for the more extreme weather plus it keeps your head warm also you can fit intercom
Old 01 December 2008, 16:50   #85

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Diesel
If the shoe fits wear it they are both good products
Old 03 December 2008, 13:21   #86
JSP

I wonder for the best of both if a Gecko Kite surfing lid would fit with the SUM?
Old 14 December 2008, 17:55   #87

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.MAC View Post
SavePhace Sports Utility Masks are fine in fair weather but i would go for the gecko for the more extreme weather plus it keeps your head warm also you can fit intercom
I've been out in temperatures only a couple of degrees above freezing last winter and the combination of the one piece Fladen suit with the hood pulled right up tight, gloves, and the Phace, kept me as warm as toast inside

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2008, 18:37   #88
JSP

With out deviating from the topic to much, how do Fladen suits compare with drysuits if you end up in the blue/green/brown?
Old 15 December 2008, 05:20   #89
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Must buy 2 of these for the Thundercat, will wait til after XMas to see how broke I am
Old 15 December 2008, 06:43   #90
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Just so you know, I've got about a dozen left at the moment. Looking at the exchange rate, the price will almost certainly have to go up for the next batch.

Buying things from the 'States (or anywhere else for that matter!) isn't quite the good deal it was recently!

John