Old 25 November 2008, 07:49   #81

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Noice?

I wear headset/earplugs from my cellphone/radio and listen to the radio when ribbing without passengers. Its a lot of background wind noice when speeding, and I must have the volume on my cell far to high to hear the radio. I tried Geckos, but they create a lot of wind noice itselves. Is the facemask a better option if I want less wind noice?

Thanks

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2008, 11:36   #82
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Posty just delivered mine. Tried it on and my 17 month old son cried his eyes out. Hope it works when he's 16
Have to admit I had visions of the SUM being a flimsy and cheap plastic but this is a quality item. Very robust feel to it and very comfortable. Looks cool as well, even if it does look like your off to do a bank job. Tried it on with a ski mask (terrorist style) and it works a treat with that too for very cold days. Looking forward to giving it a try out on the blue.

Cheers for this John, great stuff
Quote:
I wear headset/earplugs from my cellphone/radio and listen to the radio when ribbing without passengers. Its a lot of background wind noice when speeding, and I must have the volume on my cell far to high to hear the radio. I tried Geckos, but they create a lot of wind noice itselves. Is the facemask a better option if I want less wind noice?

Thanks
Roy,
having not tried it I can't really help but from the look of the way the mask is shaped I'd say it would divert the flow of the wind OK. I expect the wind noise from the gecko is when the air enters the front of the lid? Your not going to get that with a SUM but at least with the Gecko your ears are covered.
I'm sure someone who has used there's allot will be able to tell you more.
Old 26 November 2008, 12:11   #83
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
I haven't tried a SUM and a Gecko back to back to compare noise levels, but I would guess that the SUM would be quieter.

Best bet is to buy one and see how you get on. If you don't like it just send it back and I'll give you a refund.

John
Old 01 December 2008, 21:44   #84

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: D6-350
SavePhace Sports Utility Masks are fine in fair weather but i would go for the gecko for the more extreme weather plus it keeps your head warm also you can fit intercom
Old 01 December 2008, 21:50   #85

Town: Renfrew
Boat name: 9504
Make: Halmatic
Engine: D6-350
If the shoe fits wear it they are both good products
Old 03 December 2008, 18:21   #86
JSP

I wonder for the best of both if a Gecko Kite surfing lid would fit with the SUM?
Old 14 December 2008, 22:55   #87

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.MAC View Post
SavePhace Sports Utility Masks are fine in fair weather but i would go for the gecko for the more extreme weather plus it keeps your head warm also you can fit intercom
I've been out in temperatures only a couple of degrees above freezing last winter and the combination of the one piece Fladen suit with the hood pulled right up tight, gloves, and the Phace, kept me as warm as toast inside

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2008, 23:37   #88
JSP

With out deviating from the topic to much, how do Fladen suits compare with drysuits if you end up in the blue/green/brown?
Old 15 December 2008, 10:20   #89
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Must buy 2 of these for the Thundercat, will wait til after XMas to see how broke I am
Old 15 December 2008, 11:43   #90
Administrator

Just so you know, I've got about a dozen left at the moment. Looking at the exchange rate, the price will almost certainly have to go up for the next batch.

Buying things from the 'States (or anywhere else for that matter!) isn't quite the good deal it was recently!

John
Old 16 December 2008, 12:00   #91
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I haven't tried a SUM and a Gecko back to back to compare noise levels, but I would guess that the SUM would be quieter.

Best bet is to buy one and see how you get on. If you don't like it just send it back and I'll give you a refund.

John
I have both and have never used the SUM after I got the Gecko, so that speaks for its self and the Gecko has removable ear covers
Old 18 December 2008, 01:45   #92

Town: Langkawi, Malaysia
Do you still have Hannibal in stock? How much to send to me in Langkawi, Malaysia and how do I pay for it?
Old 18 December 2008, 23:57   #93

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: Merc. 150 Outboard
MMSI: Lucederterv...?
How much will the helmets now be? And how much are we talking for bog standard 2nd class UK postage? What goes with blue Mustos... maybe the storm trooper...
Old 19 December 2008, 07:12   #94
Administrator

I'm still working on a new deal, but it looks like they'll probably go up by about £10 - depends what the pound does against the dollar over the next few weeks. P&P will still be £3 for one item and £5 for two or more.

Latest is news is that they have discontinued the Hannibal, so I will probably keep the Total Eclipse in stock. I will be taking orders for any other designs though if people want to pre-book them for the next shipment.

Eric, I'll get a price for shipping to you and let you know!

John
Old 19 December 2008, 09:46   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Do you still have Hannibal in stock? How much to send to me in Langkawi, Malaysia and how do I pay for it?
Yes, I have a few Hannibal masks in stock. You can order one using the RIBnet shop.

Shipping is £10 - select "Exceptions" in the shipping section. You can pay using a credit card via Paypal.

Hope that helps!

John
Old 19 December 2008, 10:55   #96
JSP

I forgot to post that last week I went out on a friends fishing boat and tried out the SUM with different lenses. Turned out to be a good day to try as we went from fog to very blinding sunlight to a very early dark due to the fog coming back.

I'm not sure of the names of the lenses so will give them names and I'm sure John or anyone else who knows better can inform.

The lightly smoked lens was the best all rounder for the day.
When the fog was down at midday the sun was hitting it giving a very harsh light. I found the yellow lenses to be the best for this as it still gave good visibility (for what you could see in the pea souper) wail also taking a good edge of that migraine inducing light. Only thing to watch with these is that your brain can turn Nav lights into a few different colours, rather like the white balance on a digital camera.
When the fog lifted and the sun came belting through, reflecting off the mirror like water the very dark lenses got snapped on. This was great and allowed me to jockey the boat with out any eye strain.
When the light faded I switched back to the lightly smoked but in the end had to take the mask off. At this point a totaly clear lens would have been good. Although after getting home I realised the yellow may have worked better.

The lenses take a second to change as long as you have them handy.

I've not had chance to test the SUM in wind, rain or waves yet but going off what has already been said on this thread I have no worries. I also bought one of THESE to wear with it. Still waiting to test that out too. But I think Nos is trying that kind of gear out on his bike.
Old 21 December 2008, 04:51   #97

Town: Langkawi, Malaysia
Sum

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your help with the SUM. Pay pal was easy. Can't wait to get my hands on this item
Old 29 December 2008, 23:40   #98

Boat name: Quidam
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard diesel
So, how many of you have gotten in trouble recently wearing a Hannibal mask, being stopped by the police because they thought you were an axe-murderer?
Old 30 December 2008, 08:30   #99
Administrator

The Hannibal design is one of the more subtle variations. The well dressed axe-murderer is far more likely to be seen sporting one of the more radical designs.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dictator.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	39568   Click image for larger version

Name:	terminal.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	39569  
Old 30 December 2008, 09:04   #100

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The Hannibal design is one of the more subtle variations. The well dressed axe-murderer is far more likely to be seen sporting one of the more radical designs.

John

I'm guessing that buying one of those and charging towards a Navy warship would probably not be a good idea

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote