Old 11 February 2002, 04:18   #11
Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Alex

Poole Bay sounds good - Iknow it quite well and as you say it has no restrictions fro October to end March I believe.

Hope Il be able to make it - let me know asap when you plan to go.

Carpe pm
GraemeCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2002, 05:52   #12
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat

Alex, Good on you for getting out on the water despite the weather! (Iím also a fan of winter boating.)

Without wishing to provoke any further exchange ref. BIBOA can I just say that my point was why formally set up another club to do similar things that BIBOA does?. The adhoc, informal cruising amongst a bunch of mates is a complement to the more formal cruising not a replacement. (IMHO) Whether those mates are from RIB.NET, BIBOA, Rib International Cruising Club (anyone remember that?!), work etc etc makes no odds does it! One of the benefits I personally have had from BIBOA is making contact with like minded souls to do exactly the sort of thing you did this weekend. RIB.NET equally serves this purpose and you may justifiably feel that joing BIBOA is not worth it. Thats your call and I don't think anyone here, least of all myself would criticise that and I'm sorry if you've taken some of the comments that way!

If you are interesting in more organised/formal cruising BIBOA does have an Easter bash on the Solent arranged which you might find fun. Unless of course you are coming to Cardiff to wave off Messrs Priddy & Co!?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2002, 05:34   #13
Town: Surrey
Make: Raider
Length: 6.5
Engine: Mariner 115 4/Stroke

I would be interested in coming along, please keep us posted.

Do you mean Poole Harbour or Poole Bay?

If the intended location is Poole Harbour I would like to raise a small cautionary note: The speed limits in Poole Harbour are only relaxed in the Wareham Channel, Middleship Channel and North Channel during the winter months, but the 10 knot limit remains elsewhere in the harbour.

ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2002, 08:24   #14
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Hadn't really thought about it that much was just thinking in that general area. A warm up in the harbour would be good and maybe going and stretching our legs outside the harbour would be good too... Haven't been there in a while.. so if anyone has any info that would be appreciated as to best launch sites...etc..
badbaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2002, 11:12   #15
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp

Hello folks

If I remember correctly Poole Harbour has a rather strange double tide. It goes out, stops for a bit, then comes in again and then turrns round and goes out again!

Well, you never know, it might come in handy for a pub quiz.

Have a good day out.

Keith Hart

PS this information brought to you courtesy of: and their fantasticly great value Tide Plotter software.

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote