Old 15 July 2004, 13:17   #1

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Samson Post

I am thinking about making a Samson post for my RIB, current plan is to use 4” tube 36” long which should be high enough to clear the tubes.

What I don’t know is:-

Why you don’t see more RIBs with Samson posts?

What is the real advantage of a Samson post?

Where exactly should I put it, does it have to be as far forward as possible or does it work if it is further back?

Does the increased towing/ mooring height have an effect?

My reason for thinking about a Samson post is that it will help with mooring alongside because I will be able to set a spring which will not touch the tubes. Additionally when towing alongside it does the same thing.

Any comments would be welcome

Des
Old 15 July 2004, 13:28   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Samson posts are mainly used for commercial or rescue purposes as you can tow backwards more effectively with one.

Why do you want to use one to moor your boat ? surely you run a mooring line from your front eye bolt to the mooring, this would not rub against the tops of the tubes !!

IMHO on leisure ribs they look ugly and very commercial, the engineering needed to make sure they are effective is fairly extensive and the post will take up loads of front deck space.
Old 15 July 2004, 13:46   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Mainly want one so I can set a spring, currently I run the spring from a hand rail on the console but this tends to get in the way. My boat is never going to be the prettiest boat in the marina so a Samson post won’t make much difference.
Des
Old 15 July 2004, 15:09   #4

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
If you have an A frame, run the spring from the top of it. IMHO posts look ugly and out if place on anything but a working rib.
Old 15 July 2004, 16:00   #5

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Samson Posts

Des
They are very useful for towing as you will have guessed, but the A frame gets in the way which is why I think you don't see it much.
I know of one sailing club that fits them as standard and it makes life so much easier when working short handed.

The RYA fitted them to their training support boats but the bracing legs that run back to the transom become a major trip hazzard and make life difficult when moving about the boat.

I like them but have not worked out how to have one on my rib as its got a very substanshal A frame that I'm loathed to remove.
Rgds
James
Old 15 July 2004, 16:48   #6

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Des
I presume you want a bow mounted post.
How do you spring now? Pontoon - console - pontoon?
Why not run the spring back from the bow eye to the pontoon and then to the A frame or towing eye? The fore line will lie under the tube and not be in the way and the aft line will lie over the tube. Put some pipe lagging, preferably Armaflex, round the rope where it crosses the tube. OK it will be a bit of a sod to attach to the bow, but better than tripping and rubbing.
Old 15 July 2004, 19:25   #7

Town: Fareham
I have a short samsons post and use it to tie my bow line when I'm motoring along, is also used for anchoring as I tie the anchor to the bow line and tie the "slack" ends of both the anchor and bow line to the post, for the recovery.

Andy