Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Sailing on the Solent

Some advice please.

Can any one give me some advice for sailing from Warsash down towards the Needles.

As I only have a small boat I would like to know if I am going to hit any particularly tricky bits on the way down to the Needles.

Location of rogue/rip tides would be appreciated. Either by waypoint or general area so I can mark them on a chart.

Any help would be appreciated for what at the moment is the unknown for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick R
Old 18 September 2003, 19:21   #2

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Nick,

Are you sailing or ribbing down the Western Solent?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2003, 19:28   #3

Solent

Ooops I thought it was the same thing.

I use the term sailing when I actually mean Ribbing because my non Ribbing mates and family need an eplanation everytime I say it.
Old 18 September 2003, 19:33   #4

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
hi,
we could go down with you as buddies at weekend if you want...we're at Warsash at the mo.

Weather looks favourable at the weekend as you can get a trouncing on smaller ribs at Calshot & Hurst Castle...

Jackeen & missus
Old 18 September 2003, 19:47   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
No probs Nick,

The only reason I asked was because of the tides (which affect yachties more than ribsters because they are going slower )

The tide starts to run to the west from Calshot at 0600 on Saturday and turns east just after 1230. As they are neaps this should not cause you a problem depending on where the wind is from. Wind against tide will make for a bumpy ride.

When going out through Hurst Narrows keep tight to Hurst Castle to avoid the overfalls and whirlpools (Trust me on this one - I know )

If it gets a bit too lumpy in the Needles Channel, you could always nip into Keyhaven. (Carefully as it gets a bit shallow at low water) The Sailing Club up by the quay is highly recommended and very friendly with good food for lunch.

Hope you have a good trip.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2003, 19:58   #6

Solent

Jackeen. I would love to join you this saturday to sail down to the Needles. Unfortunately I am working. I work shifts and I think my next days Ribbing from Warsash will be next Friday 26 Sep 03. However I have just looked at my Diary and I also have that weekend off. On the Saturday I have my VHF course but I'm free on the Sunday as well. So if the weather is good I'll be available on Sunday 28 Sep. By the way it was my first time at Warsash last wednesday and getting the boat out at high tide was a bit of a shock. Thought I might have to get my car wet. Just pulled it out on my own in the end.

Ribald. Thanks for the info I shall take good note of this and mark it on my charts.

Nick
Old 18 September 2003, 20:17   #7

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
needles

Sounds good. give us a shout. we've had a few hairy moments on the Rising Sun landing strip/ best at low tide
Stressful to say the least...with the pub & harbour master looking on !!!!
We'll link up soon 26th could be OK.
We'll pm ypu with phone no.

Paul & Kathleen
Old 18 September 2003, 22:26   #8

Town: New Forest
Boat name: working on it
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.1
Engine: Yamaha 80
Nick - nice to see you're coming down to my part of the world!

Now that the wind seems, at last, to have gone back to the prevailing SW, you might find it more comfortable to squirt straight across to Cowes and come down the island side. The tidal flow is slower at the edges, ergo it shouldn't be so lumpy as out in the middle. The chop tends to be quite confused in the west Solent as the waves are bouncing off both bits of land and mixed with a variety of powerboat wash.
There are no nasty shallows on the island side so you can keep quite close to that rather desolate shoreline. Aim to pass just off the end of Yarmouth pier, [look out for fishing lines], expect a bit of lump by Black Rock buoy and keep inside Sconce cardinal mark. Keep tight in by Fort Victoria - the long low one - and Fort Albert - the big square one opposite Hurst Castle with the girt big black cannon parked round the back. After that it opens out into a succession of bays, Totland, Colwell and Alum [see the ski lift up the cliff] before the great chalk cliffs leading to the Needles.
If you do decide to come down the mainland side, look out for the old anti-submarine boom at Sowley, about 2 milesE of Lymington. There are some nice houses along that shore, 2 of them belonging to members of Dire Straits!
If you come through Hurst Narrows by the Castle, you must head SW towards the Needles - on no account head W or you will fetch up on The Shingles, which could spoil your day completely.
If the weather suits, there are fixed public barbies at the back of Yarmouth harbour which anyone can use. Keyhaven has public loos in the car park and good eats & drinks in The Gun pub.

Enjoy!
Robin
Old 19 September 2003, 08:57   #9

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally posted by robineff
There are no nasty shallows on the island side so you can keep quite close to that rather desolate shoreline.
Um, is this quite right? What about Gurnard Ledge? Salt Mead Ledges? I'm not familiar with this stretch of coast, but according to the chart and the book Solent Hazards, they look like hazards to ribsters. (I suppose it all depends on what you mean by "quite close"!) I recommend that series of books, by the way, but it can be quite scary reading.
Quote:
If you come through Hurst Narrows by the Castle, you must head SW towards the Needles - on no account head W or you will fetch up on The Shingles, which could spoil your day completely.
Unless you take the North Channel towards Christchurch, clearly marked on the chart. (If you're passing close to Hurst Castle, you need to avoid the Trap.)

cheers,
Simon
Old 19 September 2003, 09:13   #10

Town: New Forest
Boat name: working on it
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.1
Engine: Yamaha 80
Certainly those ledges can be a problem for yotties with their keels and dangly bits but I wouldn't have thought there'd be much to worry a small RIB drawing, say, 18" on neaps - possibly a different story on the big equinoctial springs that are coming up.
Sure, you have a choice of going SW or NW at Hurst but the stated destination was Needles. The Trap was one of the reasons for my recommendation of the island side!
Old 19 September 2003, 15:33   #11

Big Thanks

Well thanks everyone for all that info. I'm going to give it a try next Friday so I'll let you know how it all goes.

Jackeen.

If you don't mind taking along a 30 Mph boat, on a good day, then I would be delighted to join up with you if the weather is okay.

Nick