Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 February 2011, 14:11   #1
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,078
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Sailing jacket from TK Max.

Saw this jacket in TK Max for 40 should have been 150 size small only, so I got it for the wife for the easter Anglesey cruise. I have never heard of this make ( probably that's why its cheap) has anyone on here got one or heard of this make and are they half decent. Cheers.

PRO RAINER.




__________________

__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 14:24   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Poisonally, I'd go for a bit of pre-loved higher spec gear via Fleabay if you don't want to shell out arms and legs. I bought one of our lads a cracking Duggie Gill offshore outfit (jacket and hi-bib) for 130 last week. He does a bit of 1/4 tonner racing.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 15:23   #3
Member
 
TonyC's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 213
Ive had a couple of their jackets, though it was years ago - they were ok.

Think they're a german make
__________________
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 16:38   #4
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,078
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Ive had a couple of their jackets, though it was years ago - they were ok.

Think they're a german make
Yep they are, I just had a quick look on google, based in Hamburg.
__________________
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:09   #5
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Looks fine for sailing kit. Don't knock Cheeky Max, they come up with the goods occasionally.

However, Mrs willk has had the choice of 2 part sailing stuff and a Fladen 1 piece, and she's plumped for the Fladen, most days. Tricky when nature calls, but nice when nature dumps on you...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:11   #6
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Brand Awareness: Depends on how much the company has spent to make you aware. Just 'cos you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's rubbish...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:18   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Just 'cos you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's rubbish...
Conversely, it's very difficult to charge lot's of money for just a name.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:20   #8
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Conversely, it's very difficult to charge lot's of money for just a name.
Budweiser
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:21   #9
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Budweiser budvar
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:22   #10
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
I rest my case...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:22   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,953
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Poisonally, I'd go for a bit of pre-loved higher spec gear via Fleabay if you don't want to shell out arms and legs. I bought one of our lads a cracking Duggie Gill offshore outfit (jacket and hi-bib) for 130 last week. He does a bit of 1/4 tonner racing.
Do you mean four tonner?
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:23   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Looks fine for sailing kit. Don't knock Cheeky Max, they come up with the goods occasionally.
I couldn't agree more. My point was that the OP should up spec. rather than necessarily brand.

The gear in the photo, looks more inner harbour than coastal.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:26   #13
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I'd go for a bit of pre-loved higher spec gear via Fleabay
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
However, Mrs willk has had the choice of 2 part sailing stuff and a Fladen 1 piece, and she's plumped for the Fladen, most days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
The gear in the photo, looks more inner harbour than coastal.
I wasn't arguing with you.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:28   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I wasn't arguing with you.
Nor I you.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:34   #15
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Do you mean four tonner?
Sorry, did you say something?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:37   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Do you mean four tonner?
http://www.quartertonclass.org/

SB!
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:38   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,953
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Oh right. It was just cos we sail the 3000 which is obviously related to the 4 tonner and five tonner. of which there are some pretty mental videos on the 'tube.
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 17:47   #18
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,809
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
It was just cos we sail the 3000 which is obviously related to the 4 tonner and five tonner....
...being made up of, as they are, in units of tonnes
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2011, 18:11   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,953
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
...being made up of, as they are, in units of tonnes
Yes but the 4000 and 5000 have a reputation for being very heavy hence their nicknames four tonner and five tonner. They are very high performance boat nonetheless however. The 3Ks are essentially the training boat and little brother to those two and essentially a youth boat hence why we use them. They are no longer produced by Laser, and now Vandercraft produce the "V3000" which uses new construction techniques (vacuum bagged epoxy resin I think) making it super light. My next boaty project for when the seagull is finished is to ressurect an old 3000 hull the school has, and potentially add hydrofoils to it
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2011, 05:20   #20
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Yes but the 4000 and 5000 have a reputation for being very heavy hence their nicknames four tonner and five tonner. They are very high performance boat nonetheless however. The 3Ks are essentially the training boat and little brother to those two and essentially a youth boat hence why we use them. They are no longer produced by Laser, and now Vandercraft produce the "V3000" which uses new construction techniques (vacuum bagged epoxy resin I think) making it super light. My next boaty project for when the seagull is finished is to ressurect an old 3000 hull the school has, and potentially add hydrofoils to it
Thats got feck all to do with the OP though has it!
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×