Old 17 August 2002, 12:16   #11
Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Lots of good information, on what to do the next time this happens.

I have also made a deal with the publisher, of the largest boat magazines here in Denmark.

If I ever see this again, he will put a picture of the offending boat and skipper in the magizine together with an article about keeping distance to divers, and shoving respect to other boaters.

So now I don't go anywhere without my camera. (Just have to get a digital one)

Of course we divers don't have to be in the way of all the boats out there. But with some respect from both divers and sailors, there will be pleanty of water for everybody.

Thanks for all the response, and just keep it comming.

Best Regards

Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2002, 12:42   #12
RIBnet supporter
Town: Peel, IOM
Boat name: Saffron
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: I/B Diesel 315hp
On a more sensible note, I once read a notice issued by the military port authorities at Plymouth.
This warned divers not to dive in the deep water channel approaches to the harbour. There are three reasons for this.
1) the obvious one that you don't want to get run down by a several thousand ton warship
2) such vessels are limited in a narrow channel in their ability to manouver
and 3) in these times of heightned terrorist activities, such ships (especially American ones) are, shall we say, very nervous of the intentions of very small boats crewed by men predominantly wearing black!!
Common sense required by all as you say Rene.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2002, 13:28   #13
Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
4) the captain of a RN warship wouldnt handle the being picked up and yelled at very well

But yes, common sense is needed on all sides. Divers should make an effort to make their presence in the water known, and boat users should make an effort to notice the presence of divers in the water, and take appropriate action.
narked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2002, 09:29   #14
Town: Ipswich
Make: Avon
Length: 5.4
Engine: evenrude 90
Well, at least two errors from the sailor, a boat at anchor has priority under the co-regs (assuming you had an anchor ball visable) and since you were flying an 'A' flag he should give you a wide berth unless you were in a bouyed channel which restricted his ability to manouver.

Too many sailors rely on their (incorrect) assumtion that they have some rights over power craft and demonstrate very poor seamanship. I teach sailing for a living and try to impart that there is room for all in the sea, and that even if you consider that you are the stand on vessel there are factors that you dont know and that the co-regs state that even the stand on vessel must take action to avoid danger if the give way vessel makes no apparant move.

5 blasts on the horn (I am unaware of your intentions - you may be standing into danger) is correct, so is a white hand flare.

In the UK the best option is to take the ssr number and vessel name and report to the coast guard - they will take it seriously and chase him up if possible.

dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote